You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

People are calling for him to start, but how many games has he started and actually looked really good in?

Rafa can't start him because he knows what he will get from him, and it's much less than what he would get from bringing him off the bench. And who getsleft out for him to start? People are saying Keane, but when everyone is fit he isn't guaranteed a start either.

My thoughts exactly. Babel has been poor in almost every game he's started, but the lad is usually very good coming off the bench, and I think we should conmtinue to use him like that.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last point then I'll leave it alone, normally I couldn't give two shits about a fringe player but there are aspects of babel's game (admittedly seen in snatches) which suggest with the correct nuturing he can be a player, also he has demonstrated more than once he is a big game player, I think he is worth the effort we'll see in time if rafa feels the same.

I'm far from convinced with Babel. His desire isn't always apparent, his first touch can be woeful, he often lacks concentration, and he lacks the thing that differentiates quality players from also rans - consistency. To be fair to him, his frustration probably comes from the fact that Keane has had an extended run in the side despite his poor form.

He goes on about how he's a striker and that, but yet when he's given a chance upfront he never takes it, especially when he starts a game there. The cup game against Havant & Waterlooville being a good example, and when he played against Crewe this season. They're games you expect somebody like him to have an absolute ball in, with the ability he has. To be fair to him though, he can be boss when he comes on as a sub.

So instead of whinging in the press he should get his head down and prove what he can do when he starts a game.

With Kuyt and Riera doing so well on the wings this season, it's hard to see how Babel will get a chance.

I think next season Babel, Lucas and Insua should all go on loan to Premiership clubs where they will play week in, week out and then we can see them develop and ultimately judge whether they will or won't make it at this club.

Sales of Pennant and Benayoun plus other funds raised or given next summer, should see back up / competition brought in for Kuyt and Riera.

But I feel Lucas and Babel need a run of games and they clearly aren't going to get that here.

Anyone else get the idea he's just given up? Utterly uncommitted performance again. What is it about our club that the moment players do't play - babel, benayoun, pennant - they start moaning to the press and don't put in the effort when they get a chance. Don't see that happening at United - i guess the difference between a winning mentality and not?

I thought he was a total shit house today, but he has no motivation at all. He'll get dropped even if he scores the winner. He needs games, and not ten minutes at the end of every game. It must be doubly frustrating to see Keane playing badly upfront and missing easy chances in a position that you feel is your strongest.

You missed my point, he could score a hatrick and not start the next game. You have to motivate the team to perform. If my boss kept overlooking me for promotion despite me doing well and working my arse off, I'd be fucked off after a while. Footballers are human.

So how many occasions has he done that this season ? I think scoring a hat trick would improve his chances considerably. When he has started he hasn't been particularly impressive.He's either got to cultivate some patience and impress whenever he gets the chance, or settle for appearing regularly at a smaller club.

So how many occasions has he done that this season ? I think scoring a hat trick would improve his chances considerably. When he has started he hasn't been particularly impressive.He's either got to cultivate some patience and impress whenever he gets the chance, or settle for appearing regularly at a smaller club.

Came on and scored the winner against the Mancs, then played really well against Marseille. Then benched again.

Babel only had 10 minutes, don't think his name should even be mentioned in connection with todays game.

I think if we're going to highlight individual players, theres a certain Brazilian international imposter we should be looking at.

I like Riera and he's done well, but I think Babel was more of a threat against the lesser teams in particular last season than we've seen from Albert so far. Albert is probably more reliable and follows Rafa's instructions to the tee, whereas Babel is a bit more instinctive and doesn't work as hard. Let's give him a couple of starts and see if he responds, I certainly haven't given up on him.

Came on and scored the winner against the Mancs, then played really well against Marseille. Then benched again.

And has been generally indifferent since, with a couple of exceptions. If he is so sensitive and/or impatient then he is probably at the wrong club. I'm a bit tired of hearing about every new acquisition sulking and running off to the press when they don't get a regular start, and then turning in indifferent performances when they do get a chance.

And has been generally indifferent since, with a couple of exceptions. If he is so sensitive and/or impatient then he is probably at the wrong club. I'm a bit tired of hearing about every new acquisition sulking and running off to the press when they don't get a regular start, and then turning in indifferent performances when they do get a chance.

I think the point that the other lad is trying to make though is that he gets dropped even when he's playing well so that affects his motivation. I don't agree but was just giving an example to back up his view.

The only problem Babel has is a general lack of hunger and confidence, which unfortunately is a massive part of the game. He'll never be the player he should be.

I'd put babel in the same category as Lucas. I personally think Babel has a lot more ability and potential than Lucas. However both are not regular starters and haven't really shown enough so far to jusitfy it either. Both are full international players, so they are not shit whatever is said. BUT when given the slightest chance they need to be showing what they are capable of, busting a gut to prove to the manager that they are worth a starting place. Both players lack of desire to push themselves into the managers reckoning worries me. Is is the individuals or is it signals given off by Rafa day to day that almost demotivate these type of players. I'd put benayoun in the bracket too. He's got a lot of ability and has had some excellent games for us. He's possibly the most creative behind Gerrard and Xabi in the whole squad, why is he not starting against the lesser sides? Quite simply becuase he has not delivered enough this season when given a chance.

Arbeloa was a bit part player last season. Played right and left back. Understudy for Finnan for a while, got a decent run when Steve was injured but funnily often dropped for big games and Carra moved to right back. This season he's been given a chance and has taken it both hands. IMO he's been very good so far and one of our more consistent players. Its a credit to him to be talking about his understudy (Darby or degen) than a replacement ot better player than him.

I think keane willbe in a similar situation soon if he doesn't improve

Babel needs to come on and do well if he wants to be picked- simple as. He clearly has ability, but to play regularly he needs to work on decision making and raise his bottom level a lot (as I see it his biggest problem is he is ubelievably crap when he has a bad day).

If Babel requires to play every game to prove his level then loan him out. Liverpool challenging for a Premier League title is not the stage to see if he gets better by starting a few games.

I think, in general, Riera lacks end product. He causes oppositions teams problems with his running and he's still bedding in but I think his use of the ball could be better but I still think he's a good player. As for Babel, he needs to get his shit together, good player with a future ahead of him if he wants it.

Nowhere near consistent enough for my liking. I agree with BCP that, if he needs regular games in his favourite position to perform well, then he's probably at the wrong club.

He's got ability and, wherever he ends up playing (and I believe that it won't be with us in the longer-term), he'll probably always turn in two or three good performances each season, with the odd champagne moment thrown in for good measure. But that's not what we need.

Having said that, and assuming Gerrard is still out mid-week, I would be tempted to start him up front with Torres and tell him to show everybody why he deserves to play there.