You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

he used his strength and held the ball up agaisnt the (current) best defense in the league.

And then did fuck all against one of the worst defences in the league...

It's the consistency we're after.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He hasn't improved enough in my opinion. The worst part of his game is his decision making and reluctance to release the ball at the right time. If he can improve on these aspects of his game then he has a better chance of making the grade.

He should not start up front instead of Keane. Keane is much more of a team player and will bring others into the game, at the moment Babel is more of an individual talent.

in regards to keane, he 'can' do a lot a thing but its actually what he 'DOES' is important and I see his contribution since arriving as in now way shape or form significant since arriving. oh stracth that, its his 'off the ball' stuff.

And then did fuck all against one of the worst defences in the league...

It's the consistency we're after.

again, its difficult to build consistancy from the bench.

good example, crouch was played week in week out and improved week on with and then become erratic when relagated to the bench. starts breed confidence as you know you will start the next game so you can be relaxed and play your natural game, if you aren't guranteed starts you will feel you have to score to remain in the side and so may shoot when you should pass or snatch at an easy chance because of the pressure to make your mark.

walcott has definately improved since starting more games.

in regards to keane, he 'can' do a lot a thing but its actually what he 'DOES' is important and I see his contribution since arriving as in now way shape or form significant since arriving. oh stracth that, its his 'off the ball' stuff.

I agree Keane can contribute more but I don't think he's been an abject failure or anything. To me he has made a better first impression than Babel, but then Keane is a more mature and better player at the moment so that's to be expected.

again, its difficult to build consistancy from the bench.

good example, crouch was played week in week out and improved week on with and then become erratic when relagated to the bench. starts breed confidence as you know you will start the next game so you can be relaxed and play your natural game, if you aren't guranteed starts you will feel you have to score to remain in the side and so may shoot when you should pass or snatch at an easy chance because of the pressure to make your mark.

walcott has definately improved since starting more games.

If that's the case why didn't Babel improve last season when he got plenty of starts on the left? I think Dave's point about his lack of improvement is very relevant.

I agree it's hard to build consistency from the bench but at the moment Babel isn't playing well enough to justify being included in the starting line up for the majority of games.

I agree Keane can contribute more but I don't think he's been an abject failure or anything. To me he has made a better first impression than Babel, but then Keane is a more mature and better player at the moment so that's to be expected.

I want liverpool to win the league a hell of a lot more than I want babel to play so why upset a winning team but in my mind (therefore just my opinion) babel would definately have more goals than keane and assists if it were babel starting those games but who knows, those goals may have come at the expense of a win.

I can understand he impatiance of the player and I can understand the reluctance of the manager to drop a 20 million pound striker. as I said before its a long season and babel will get his chance if he goes on a goal scoring run something I feel he is more than capable of he will force the manager to rip up his plans.

I'd like to know exactly what he did in this Chelsea game?

Seems like it gets exagerated more and more every time someone talks about it, because I can't remember him doing anything special.

Apart from a "job" of putting himself about and stretching the defenders because we were defending a lead. I don't recall it being that impressive though.

He came on up front.

He held the ball up really well.

He gave the Chelski centre backs a really hard time, and went very close to scoring.

If he showed that attitude in every game, we would all by praising him to the heavens.

He is the most skillful player at the club, (Xabi) he is fast, strong, good in the air and he's an excellent finisher. Rafa needs to get the best of a rare talent.

He came on up front.

He held the ball up really well.

He gave the Chelski centre backs a really hard time, and went very close to scoring.

If he showed that attitude in every game, we would all by praising him to the heavens.

He is the most skillful player at the club, (Xabi) he is fast, strong, good in the air and he's an excellent finisher. Rafa needs to get the best of a rare talent.

He'd never have done that or shown that attitude from the start though. It weren't that impressive in my book anyway, coming close to scoring isn't scoring, and that Bednar gave Terry a hard time yesterday, doesn't make him any good though does it? I don't know how you can say he's an excellent finisher either or that he's any good in the air.

I really don't rate him and I never have.

He'd never have done that or shown that attitude from the start though. It weren't that impressive in my book anyway, coming close to scoring isn't scoring, and that Bednar gave Terry a hard time yesterday, doesn't make him any good though does it? I don't know how you can say he's an excellent finisher either or that he's any good in the air.

I really don't rate him and I never have.

Fair enough, it's all about opinions.

At the moment he is a very good sub.

It's Rafas job to turn him into an effective 90 minute player ..:whistle:

I liked Babel last season and thought he looked promising, but this year, when he's played, he hasn't done anything great.

He looks really lazy and looks like he doesn't want to be here. I'm sure he does want to be here like, but he needs to start putting the performances is in to get that first team place and to get the fans behind him.

Arsene Wenger decided against a move for Babel shortly before we signed him because he wasn't convinced he was good enough to make it, and this after watching hm about a million times.

For my mind, there's no better judge of young footballing talent in world football than Wenger; it looks as though his judgement is once again being proven correct.

Start performing before you do this, Ryan.

Not rocket science is it, when you get a chance make it impossible to drop you. You play well, you keep your place in the side.

I thought this was a big season for him and still see the things that make me think he could be a world beater but sadly see signs that make me think he won't.

The jury is out Ryan lad so up the ante.

Arsene Wenger decided against a move for Babel shortly before we signed him because he wasn't convinced he was good enough to make it, and this after watching hm about a million times.

For my mind, there's no better judge of young footballing talent in world football than Wenger; it looks as though his judgement is once again being proven correct.

I don't really buy that. I can agree that he decided against signing him when judging against the price he knew he had to pay. (10-12m)

Rafa and his scouts thought he was worth the gamle at that price. Doesn't mean Wenger decided that he'd never make it, as come on, how would he know that? He just thought the gamble was too big.

I don't really buy that. I can agree that he decided against signing him when judging against the price he knew he had to pay. (10-12m)

Rafa and his scouts thought he was worth the gamle at that price. Doesn't mean Wenger decided that he'd never make it, as come on, how would he know that? He just thought the gamble was too big.

Agreed... If Babel's price was £6m or so he would have already been playing at Arsenal.

And he's a tight arse whose meanness and obstinacy is now costing him bigtime. Not a good time to be lauding Wenger's judgement I think. Another two words on his judgement of young talent: Fran Jeffers.

Babel clearly needs to grow up a bit - if he thinks his sub performances this season have earned him a regular starting place he's deluded. I think Rafa is handling him just right. One Wenger has been vindicated on is his handling of Walcott, who was also clamouring for a starting place much of last season - he brought him in to the first team when he was properly ready.

And he's a tight arse whose meanness and obstinacy is now costing him bigtime. Not a good time to be lauding Wenger's judgement I think. Another two words on his judgement of young talent: Fran Jeffers.

Babel clearly needs to grow up a bit - if he thinks his sub performances this season have earned him a regular starting place he's deluded. I think Rafa is handling him just right. One Wenger has been vindicated on is his handling of Walcott, who was also clamouring for a starting place much of last season - he brought him in to the first team when he was properly ready.

That and Walcott's performances really earned that spot.

Babel has only played in 7 of the 13 league games we have had so far, and of those games he only started the portsmouth game.

His league minutes on the pitch this season equate to only 184 minutes.

His liverpool career overall shows 11 goals in 63 appearances, with only 30 starts in all those games.

If you analyse goals and assists per minutes on the pitch, he has a pretty good record for liverpool.

I think babel's form on the left last season played an integral part in our improved form after a mid season slump.

I honestly think that he has shown enough to merit more football than he has got this season and I just hope he channel his frustration in the right way and force his way back into the team.

An inform Ryan Babel would get into most top sides and I hope rafa gives him a fair crack over the course of the season

Babel should leave for his own sake, Rafa has no faith in him at all and is just using him as an impact sub. Babel is talented, and needs games which he isn't getting here. I remember last season he put in a MotM performance against Bolton, followed by a decent performance but was subsequently dropped in the next game.

Babel should leave for his own sake, Rafa has no faith in him at all and is just using him as an impact sub. Babel is talented, and needs games which he isn't getting here. I remember last season he put in a MotM performance against Bolton, followed by a decent performance but was subsequently dropped in the next game.

if rafa had no faith in him he'd sell him. also we have a squad of over 20 so if rafa didn't fancy him he'd (ryan) be in the stands rather than on the bench.

people with bigger fees and more experience will find themselves on the bench when everyone is fit.