You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rivals - News - NewsArticle - Liverpool News Article

Ryan Babel has expressed his frustration at the lack of first-team football he has been given during his time at Anfield.

The striker also spoke of his disappointment at being played out of position after being used as a winger for the majority of his Liverpool career so far.

"I'm satisfied with my level of performance but the situation is clear - that I'm not going to be one of the regular 11 starters," Babel told The Guardian.

"It's difficult. I do get frustrated. I can tell myself that I'm still only 21 and at the start of my career.

"But it is making it hard for me because, as time goes on, they keep telling me that I'm young and that my time will come. Well, OK, but I'm not a player who wants to wait. I want to be involved now rather than in three or four years' time.

"I have always said that I want to play as a striker.

"Of course, it would not help me improve if I wasn't able to play, or train, in another position a couple of times. But all the time?

"I used to play as a striker in Holland. I grew up as a striker. That's the position I want to play.

"But I'm working on it. I look at myself before I blame others. I'm going to do something about it. It's not something I'm scared about."

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rivals - News - NewsArticle - Liverpool News Article

Ryan Babel has expressed his frustration at the lack of first-team football he has been given during his time at Anfield.

The striker also spoke of his disappointment at being played out of position after being used as a winger for the majority of his Liverpool career so far.

"I'm satisfied with my level of performance but the situation is clear - that I'm not going to be one of the regular 11 starters," Babel told The Guardian.

"It's difficult. I do get frustrated. I can tell myself that I'm still only 21 and at the start of my career.

"But it is making it hard for me because, as time goes on, they keep telling me that I'm young and that my time will come. Well, OK, but I'm not a player who wants to wait. I want to be involved now rather than in three or four years' time.

"I have always said that I want to play as a striker.

"Of course, it would not help me improve if I wasn't able to play, or train, in another position a couple of times. But all the time?

"I used to play as a striker in Holland. I grew up as a striker. That's the position I want to play.

"But I'm working on it. I look at myself before I blame others. I'm going to do something about it. It's not something I'm scared about."

Bye bye then Ryan.

I remain unconvinced by Babel. He's still an obviously talented player, but he's equally inconsistent and not a little raw. My hopes for him lie in his age. I do wonder about his mentality though: has he got the self-belief and determination to make it?

Guest PaddyBerger15
I remain unconvinced by Babel. He's still an obviously talented player, but he's equally inconsistent and not a little raw. My hopes for him lie in his age. I do wonder about his mentality though: has he got the self-belief and determination to make it?

Sadly Teach, I agree with you, its not that I dislike agreeing with you, its just that I still see Babel as no more than an impact sub and I can't see beyond that for the time being.

If he wants regular first time football at Liverpool NOW, then he has no chance. He is 2nd choice left winger and 4th choice striker and that is down to his inconsistency and the fact that he is generally fucking dopey. Like you I still have hopes for him, he is raw, but he is also young, but in footballing terms, another season down the line and he won't be. In fact if we are still saying that he is best used as an impact player in 12 months time when he isn't far off 23, then I'd be thinking its time for him to move on.

The lad has undoubted talent, I think the problem lies in his application and concentration.

Babels biggest problem for me is that he knows hes a decent player but doesnt seem to realise that he has to earn the right to play.

Why is it we are constantly told that the Dutch are technically the most gifted players in europe yet we have Babel whos 1st touch is technically one of the worst we have.

He would do a better job than Keane has upfront.

Completely agree, Keane is at his best when he can get in behind the defense playing as the front striker, unfortunatley he do not have enough pace to get where his head wants him to be before most defenders get there, he is also an erratic finisher.

Keane cant hold up the ball for shit if its played long either since he loses 99% of the challenges with the defender and usually bows down instead of jumping up.

Babel should be given a chance up front together with the best 11, he would have had a field day against Bolton yesterday.

Completely agree, Keane is at his best when he can get in behind the defense playing as the front striker, unfortunatley he do not have enough pace to get where his head wants him to be before most defenders get there, he is also an erratic finisher.

Keane cant hold up the ball for shit if its played long either since he loses 99% of the challenges with the defender and usually bows down instead of jumping up.

Babel should be given a chance up front together with the best 11, he would have had a field day against Bolton yesterday.

If that's what he really wants then he has to show more when he's given the chance to start up front. He's been poor this season when afforded such an opportunity. I know it's only come around once or twice for him (Crewe and one other match?), but such is the nature of playing for a top club.

keane has two league goals and not many more assists after starting practically every league game, honestly do you think babel would have less if it were him starting those games instead of keane?

I don't know mate; possibly not. I do think Keane is a better player though (and proven to be so at this level) and has more reason for mitigation than Babel: he's new and being used in a position that is not his best; he needs to play off a main striker in order to thrive.

I don't know mate; possibly not. I do think Keane is a better player though (and proven to be so at this level) and has more reason for mitigation than Babel: he's new and being used in a position that is not his best; he needs to play off a main striker in order to thrive.

my humble opinion is babel should just be patiant, its a loooooog season and games will come thick and fast. babel will find his is relatively fresh going into the most important part of the season, the run in.

babel's performances have been erratic but peformances like the chelsea (who are no mugs) make me optimistic for his future but for night now he has to get his head down work hard and take his fleeting chances when presented.

keane has two league goals and not many more assists after starting practically every league game, honestly do you think babel would have less if it were him starting those games instead of keane?

I dont think you can measure Keanes contribution only in goals and assists though. He is in constant movement, which creates space for others to exploit. That's the simple and in my mind right way of looking at his contribution to the team. As with Dirk, I'm a bit worried we become more static if they were to be replaced by players like Babel who blows hot and cold both in terms of commitment and ability.