Quantcast
Was Roy Evans That Bad A Manager? - Page 5 - XMF - Arguing over ex Managers Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

Cork Red

Was Roy Evans That Bad A Manager?

Interesting these last few posts as I've just started Thommo's autobiography and he's just described when he joined as Houiller's assistant. he said he was brought in to install some much needed discipline.

He also described how Roy was there for the press conference that announced he was leaving and Thommo coming in as Assistant Manager, he said it was a testament to Roy that he was there for the Press conference as most managers when they leave are never seen again!

On 9/28/2018 at 2:00 PM, Stickman said:

Was a really nice bloke just wasn't cut out to be a manager of such a gang of mainly wasters who couldn't be arsed showing him the fans nor the club any respect.

I was going to say nice guys don't finish first but Paisley did again and again

Well here's what Alan Hansen has to say about that.

"And he was ruthless. He might have portrayed an ‘Uncle Bob’ image, but he was as ruthless as Sir Alex and, at the very highest level, that is a prerequisite because compassion is a lonely word on a football pitch."

Author of his biography says the exact same thing.

Paisley was a true gentleman, but nothing wrong it seems when it came to leadership, which in many cases means putting your personal feelings aside and doing what's best for the club.

Roy Evans should be held in the highest esteem by everyone associated with this football club. It should have been recognised that he wasn't ready to manage the team and I think it was probably a panic move to get him in. If Ronnie Moran was a few years younger i'd have loved him to have got hold of that team. He wouldn't have stood for any of the bollocks that a lot of the players gave Roy in the mid 90's. We had some serious talent in them sides between 94 and 99 but also some absolute twats who didn't deserve to pull on the jersey. 

• Upvote 2

As the last of the bootroom boys Roy should be remembered with great respect he inherited a team of cloggers that Souness had put together and created a side with some truly beautiful football skills, although i appreciated what Ged brought to us i never understood the dual managers idea that was never going to work and in the end Roy fell on his sword for the sake of the club.

Playing the slow as fuck, right footed Oyvind Leonhardsen on the left wing whilst leaving the young Paddy Berger on the bench used to fuck me off no end.

The Houllier story about when Roy intended to do just that against Newcastle but Houllier decided to pull rank, Paddy started and scored in a 4-0 win (Owen bagging a hattrick) sorta sums it up nicely.

Roy Evans, lovely fella, great servant, piss poor manager.

• Downvote 2

I liked him and Liverpool were entertaining under him, but I can never get past Alan Green's withering assessment as he wrapped up his commentary on the final day of the 95/96 season 

"Liverpool, top of the league at Christmas, have finished 4th in a 2 horse race" 

On 12/4/2018 at 6:02 PM, Carvalho Diablo said:

Playing the slow as fuck, right footed Oyvind Leonhardsen on the left wing whilst leaving the young Paddy Berger on the bench used to fuck me off no end.

The Houllier story about when Roy intended to do just that against Newcastle but Houllier decided to pull rank, Paddy started and scored in a 4-0 win (Owen bagging a hattrick) sorta sums it up nicely.

Roy Evans, lovely fella, great servant, piss poor manager.

Houllier didn't mind playing kewell on the right to piss poor effect