You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Was Roy Evans That Bad A Manager?

Interesting these last few posts as I've just started Thommo's autobiography and he's just described when he joined as Houiller's assistant. he said he was brought in to install some much needed discipline.

He also described how Roy was there for the press conference that announced he was leaving and Thommo coming in as Assistant Manager, he said it was a testament to Roy that he was there for the Press conference as most managers when they leave are never seen again!

On 9/28/2018 at 2:00 PM, Stickman said:

Was a really nice bloke just wasn't cut out to be a manager of such a gang of mainly wasters who couldn't be arsed showing him the fans nor the club any respect.

I was going to say nice guys don't finish first but Paisley did again and again

Well here's what Alan Hansen has to say about that.

"And he was ruthless. He might have portrayed an ‘Uncle Bob’ image, but he was as ruthless as Sir Alex and, at the very highest level, that is a prerequisite because compassion is a lonely word on a football pitch."

Author of his biography says the exact same thing.

Paisley was a true gentleman, but nothing wrong it seems when it came to leadership, which in many cases means putting your personal feelings aside and doing what's best for the club.

Roy Evans should be held in the highest esteem by everyone associated with this football club. It should have been recognised that he wasn't ready to manage the team and I think it was probably a panic move to get him in. If Ronnie Moran was a few years younger i'd have loved him to have got hold of that team. He wouldn't have stood for any of the bollocks that a lot of the players gave Roy in the mid 90's. We had some serious talent in them sides between 94 and 99 but also some absolute twats who didn't deserve to pull on the jersey. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

As the last of the bootroom boys Roy should be remembered with great respect he inherited a team of cloggers that Souness had put together and created a side with some truly beautiful football skills, although i appreciated what Ged brought to us i never understood the dual managers idea that was never going to work and in the end Roy fell on his sword for the sake of the club.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Playing the slow as fuck, right footed Oyvind Leonhardsen on the left wing whilst leaving the young Paddy Berger on the bench used to fuck me off no end.

The Houllier story about when Roy intended to do just that against Newcastle but Houllier decided to pull rank, Paddy started and scored in a 4-0 win (Owen bagging a hattrick) sorta sums it up nicely.

Roy Evans, lovely fella, great servant, piss poor manager.

• Downvote 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 04/12/2018 at 18:02, Carvalho Diablo said:

The Houllier story about when Roy intended to do just that against Newcastle but Houllier decided to pull rank, Paddy started and scored in a 4-0 win (Owen bagging a hattrick) sorta sums it up nicely.

Roy Evans, lovely fella, great servant, piss poor manager.

That Houllier story is a particular trait of his as to why I never warmed to him and will never look fondly back at his time here. Arrogant and self important man he was. And he played Danny Murphy in the exact same way that Roy played Leonhardsen anyway, the fucking double standards blurt.

The fowler bit, the positioning himself in the Istanbul win, the Evans disrespect, the self importance. The treble season was ace, but he decimated that team and squad from that point on.

That last bit about Evans being a piss poor manager is absolute fucking shite as well. After taking on Souness’ nightmare and 6th place finishes, he finished 4th, 3rd, joint 2nd and 3rd. Houllier came in and and took us to 7th in his first season, then 4th, 5th, 2nd, 5th, 4th, so lauding Houllier and belittling Evans is stupid and wrong.

• Upvote 1

On 23/09/2020 at 15:24, belarus said:

That Houllier story is a particular trait of his as to why I never warmed to him and will never look fondly back at his time here. Arrogant and self important man he was. And he played Danny Murphy in the exact same way that Roy played Leonhardsen anyway, the fucking double standards blurt.

The fowler bit, the positioning himself in the Istanbul win, the Evans disrespect, the self importance. The treble season was ace, but he decimated that team and squad from that point on.

That last bit about Evans being a piss poor manager is absolute fucking shite as well. After taking on Souness’ nightmare and 6th place finishes, he finished 4th, 3rd, joint 2nd and 3rd. Houllier came in and and took us to 7th in his first season, then 4th, 5th, 2nd, 5th, 4th, so lauding Houllier and belittling Evans is stupid and wrong.

Houllier won 5 trophies in little over a year while Evans won one in about 4 years. I liked Houllier in that he was exactly what was needed after Evans let a promising situation slip away through ill discipline and allowing player power.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Houllier won 5 trophies in little over a year while Evans won one in about 4 years. I liked Houllier in that he was exactly what was needed after Evans let a promising situation slip away through ill discipline and allowing player power.

Not taking away from Houllier’s accomplishments, just merely pointing out that as a comparison, Evans wasn’t a “piss poor manager“, especially after achieving what he did when inheriting what he did.

On 26/09/2020 at 21:01, belarus said:

Not taking away from Houllier’s accomplishments, just merely pointing out that as a comparison, Evans wasn’t a “piss poor manager“, especially after achieving what he did when inheriting what he did.

Agree 100%.

Evans made the side far better; it needed a rebuild and he made us competitive again. He was prepared to fall out with big signings (Dicks was straight out the door and Wright was forced to train with the kids until he sorted his attitude out). He was even prepared to hold his hands up when he got it wrong, and binned Collymore who had been the most expensive signing in the country. 
He fell short of what we really wanted, but Houllier dismantled everything (at no little expense) and still couldn’t deliver a title. 
On balance both men did well but couldn’t quite get over the line before the side began to crumble. 

• Upvote 1