You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peter Beardsley

Dicko

20 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

I hate to say it but weren’t the allegations of both bullying and racism? 

'Allegations' is the key word here. I'm not saying he didn't do them but it would be nice for a balanced article given how everything has just been one way so far. I'd like to hear exactly what was said or alleged and if it was serious enough then he should be banned from the game full stop. 

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

'Allegations' is the key word here. I'm not saying he didn't do them but it would be nice for a balanced article given how everything has just been one way so far. I'd like to hear exactly what was said or alleged and if it was serious enough then he should be banned from the game full stop. 

He was found guilty of calling a black player a monkey. 

‘When the squad attended an event at Go Ape, Beardsley said a black player ‘should be used to that’

A further anonymous player statement read: ‘When we were at Go Ape he said to us “we should be used to that” which I took to be a reference to climbing the trees.‘ But Peter said “I’m not being funny” and tried to explain it was a reference to climbing mountains, but at the time we weren’t climbing mountains, we were climbing a tree. ‘”I’m not being funny” is all he ever says after he makes a comment.

There are a few more which are ropey.

Sounds like an old, comfortable, detached from every day life, cosseted,  old man acting like a cunt.

Is he being racist?

He is as much as every other fucker who thinks it’s funny to rely on old racist tropes and aggressions and pretend it’s ‘banter’ despite his intentions.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

‘When the squad attended an event at Go Ape, Beardsley said a black player ‘should be used to that’

A further anonymous player statement read: ‘When we were at Go Ape he said to us “we should be used to that” which I took to be a reference to climbing the trees.

‘But Peter said “I’m not being funny” and tried to explain it was a reference to climbing mountains, but at the time we weren’t climbing mountains, we were climbing a tree.

‘”I’m not being funny” is all he ever says after he makes a comment.

Sounds like an old, comfortable, detached from every day life, cosseted,  old man acting like a cunt.

Is he being racist?

He is as much as every other fucker who thinks it’s funny to rely on old racist tropes and aggressions and pretend it’s ‘banter’ despite his intentions.

Yep. It’s racist by any standard, but the kind of thing that was deemed amusing in the 70’s. 

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

A further anonymous player statement read: ‘When we were at Go Ape he said to us “we should be used to that” which I took to be a reference to climbing the trees.

‘But Peter said “I’m not being funny” and tried to explain it was a reference to climbing mountains, but at the time we weren’t climbing mountains, we were climbing a tree.

‘”I’m not being funny” is all he ever says after he makes a comment.

Is he being racist?

If he's said that then he's been a racist,full stop. But I am a bit sceptical these days of stuff that is reported as 'fact.' 

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If he's said that then he's been a racist,full stop. But I am a bit sceptical these days of stuff that is reported as 'fact.' 

He was found guilty on 3 charges of racism. 

The charge of calling a player a monkey was separate to the charge of telling the black kids they should be good at this when climbing trees. 

As much as I loved Pedro as a player there can’t be any justification. He’s a racist cunt. 

• Upvote 1

Great player bit of a twat. Kids went to school with his, complete cunt. Lived where I live when he was at Newcastle all of us turned up on the school playing field he’d turn up and play like Peter fucking Beardsley. Loved him playing against other professionals though.

• 7 months later...

Currently trending on Twitter with plenty of Newcastle shouts that he's the greatest they've seen play for them. His stats are superb:

Newcastle: Apps 276 Gls 108

Liverpool: Apps 131 Gls 46

Everton: Apps 81 Gls 25

England Apps 50 Gls 9

Was such a talented footballer, Beardsley.

Obviously he’s seen in a different light as a person now, with more than a few questions hanging over him, but purely as a player and without knowing what may have gone on, he was sold very early and we missed him. Went on to be top level for several years after.

Lineker got a good few England goals out of him too.

He'd a slow start when he joined. Nowadays half our fans would have given up on him.  But once he settled he was brilliant. Complimented our attacking play and players so well too; not just an end product.  Incredible talent.  Great feet for an ugly fucker.

• Upvote 2

Not someone I would have expected to be involved with bullying at all. When he was with  us he always seemed super-humble. He'd always retrieve the ball if it went out and give it to their keeper. I used to go to the ground for autographs after training sometimes and he'd always be with the youth team kids and carrying kit - not at all aloof or superior. 

Virtue signalling twat.   

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Never liked him as he replaced Walshy. Ditto Ray Houghton, who replaced Craig Johnston.

I remember Craig talking about the trauma of sharing a room with Beardsley. Craig, as you all know, is a polymath by footie standards, always thinking about multiple things across a wide range of subjects. Beardo, however, used to sit there talking about nothing but football. Hour after hour. Eventually, desperate to get away from this topic, Craig asked him if he ever liked to read. 'Sure,' said Beardo. Excited, Craig asked him what kind of things he read. 'Oh, y'know,' said Beardo, 'The match day programme, Shoot, Match Weekly, Football Weekly, Match of the Day magazine...' Utterly defeated, Craig got up and walked out.

• Upvote 3

Because of this racism situation too many people are getting very revisionist about him. He was an absolutely brilliant player and my personal favourite. Without him,Barnes,Aldridge et al wouldn't have been as effective. He was sold way too early by Souness and haunted us while a bluenose. He was then brilliant at Newcastle where he was essential in them almost winning the league. He also had a decent England career under Bobby Robson alongside Barnes and others in a half decent England side. He might be a horrible racist but he was a superb player.

• Upvote 4

My dad used to take me to Newcastle on occasion and I was fortunate to see Beardsley, Waddle, Keegan, Terry Mac and Gazza, at various times, strutting their stuff in a black and white shirt.

I was very excited when I heard we were going to sign Peter Beardsley. My paper round, which could be completed in thirty minutes was extended to an hour, as I devoured all print around the story for several weeks. 

He was a fabulous player, my favourite in that great team. Goals against Everton and Arsenal in the 87/88 season were standouts.

We absolutely sold him too soon. 

It’s disappointing to know that his reputation will probably never recover from the allegations that ended his coaching career. Perhaps selfishly I prefer to remember the player who got a kiss from a man, incidentally wearing a blue and white shirt. 

7 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

My dad used to take me to Newcastle on occasion and I was fortunate to see Beardsley, Waddle, Keegan, Terry Mac and Gazza, at various times, strutting their stuff in a black and white shirt.

I was very excited when I heard we were going to sign Peter Beardsley. My paper round, which could be completed in thirty minutes was extended to an hour, as I devoured all print around the story for several weeks. 

He was a fabulous player, my favourite in that great team. Goals against Everton and Arsenal in the 87/88 season we’re standouts.

We absolutely sold him too soon. 

It’s disappointing to know that his reputation will probably never recover from the allegations that ended his coaching career. Perhaps selfishly I prefer to remember the player who got a kiss from a man, incidentally wearing a blue and white shirt. 

Unfortunately it didn't turn him into a handsome Prince.

• Upvote 1