You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rosberg isnt stupid.  This is the first time hes ever finished ahead of Hamilton as team mates.  Even in their younger days Hamilton always beat him.  

This season he performed above and beyond any level he has ever been at in F1 and although it payed off and he won the title, he only ended up winning it because Hamilton had reliability issues all season.  

Chances are he'll never ever get this lucky again and so he's going out on top.  

Gonna be interesting to see who Mercedes bring in now though. If they have any sense they'll bring in someone who accepts being the no2 driver.

totally agree respect to nico i think this is as good as it would ever get for him glad he finally got one over lewis who is not my favourite but is simply the best driver out there and i think mercedes will go with a junior driver rather than a big name

Pull what trick

Does anyone seriously think Mercedes would risk the championship by backing the number 2 driver on the team.

Hamilton had some bad luck,a few shite starts and would be involved in setting the car up himself anyway. He fucked up,if he would have spent less time being a crying little bitch him might have one the title. The only excuse he hasn't put forward yet is that Mercedes didn't let him win because he is black,though he has claimed in the past people dont like him because he is black,no people dont like you because you act like a entitled crying little cunt

• Upvote 2

Pull what trick

Does anyone seriously think Mercedes would risk the championship by backing the number 2 driver on the team.

Hamilton had some bad luck,a few shite starts and would be involved in setting the car up himself anyway. He fucked up,if he would have spent less time being a crying little bitch him might have one the title. The only excuse he hasn't put forward yet is that Mercedes didn't let him win because he is black,though he has claimed in the past people dont like him because he is black,no people dont like you because you act like a entitled crying little cunt

haters-gonna-hate-thumb.jpg

Guest Pistonbroke

Fucking hell, Rosberg has retired, he's only 31.

World champion Nico Rosberg has announced he has retired from Formula 1 with immediate effect.

The 31-year-old German won his first world title on Sunday, beating Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton by finishing second in the final race in Abu Dhabi.

"I have climbed my mountain, I am on the peak, so this feels right," Rosberg said.

Rosberg won nine of this season's 21 grands prix, beating three-time champion Hamilton by five points.

"For 25 years in racing, it has been my dream, my 'one thing' to become Formula 1 world champion," he added.

"Through the hard work, the pain, the sacrifices, this has been my target. And now I've made it."

The son of Finland's 1982 world champion Keke, Rosberg made his F1 debut for Williams at the Bahrain Grand Prix in 2006, finishing seventh.

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said the news took him "completely by surprise".

"This is a brave decision by Nico and a testament to the strength of his character," he added.

"The clarity of his judgement meant I accepted his decision straight away when he told me.

"We now have to consider options and we will start to look at it on Monday."

Rosberg raced in 206 grands prix winning 23 and finishing on the podium 57 times.

Analysis

BBC Sport Chief F1 writer Andrew Benson

Nico Rosberg's decision to announce his retirement from Formula 1 just five days after clinching his first world title is a major shock - but perhaps it should not be.

The German put everything into this season, as he explained in his statement on Friday. The pressure of those last few races was plain to see in Abu Dhabi on Sunday, in the way it peeled off him by degrees in the hours after the race.

While thinking about how hard winning that title was, doubtless his thoughts were also about what it would take to beat Lewis Hamilton to it again. He clearly felt that at the age of 31, with a young daughter, he was not prepared to make those sacrifices again.

All in all, it is a classy move from a classy man.

Fucking hell, Rosberg has retired, he's only 31.

World champion Nico Rosberg has announced he has retired from Formula 1 with immediate effect.

The 31-year-old German won his first world title on Sunday, beating Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton by finishing second in the final race in Abu Dhabi.

"I have climbed my mountain, I am on the peak, so this feels right," Rosberg said.

Rosberg won nine of this season's 21 grands prix, beating three-time champion Hamilton by five points.

"For 25 years in racing, it has been my dream, my 'one thing' to become Formula 1 world champion," he added.

"Through the hard work, the pain, the sacrifices, this has been my target. And now I've made it."

The son of Finland's 1982 world champion Keke, Rosberg made his F1 debut for Williams at the Bahrain Grand Prix in 2006, finishing seventh.

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said the news took him "completely by surprise".

"This is a brave decision by Nico and a testament to the strength of his character," he added.

"The clarity of his judgement meant I accepted his decision straight away when he told me.

"We now have to consider options and we will start to look at it on Monday."

Rosberg raced in 206 grands prix winning 23 and finishing on the podium 57 times.

Analysis

BBC Sport Chief F1 writer Andrew Benson

Nico Rosberg's decision to announce his retirement from Formula 1 just five days after clinching his first world title is a major shock - but perhaps it should not be.

The German put everything into this season, as he explained in his statement on Friday. The pressure of those last few races was plain to see in Abu Dhabi on Sunday, in the way it peeled off him by degrees in the hours after the race.

While thinking about how hard winning that title was, doubtless his thoughts were also about what it would take to beat Lewis Hamilton to it again. He clearly felt that at the age of 31, with a young daughter, he was not prepared to make those sacrifices again.

All in all, it is a classy move from a classy man.

They talked about it 2 hours ago.

Hamilton would not get on the same grid as Rosberg as a human being.  

I'm not sure that actually works as a metaphor, but what I mean is Hamilton is a bit of a cunt and Rosberg appears not to be. 

Based on what?    Because he gets annoyed when he dosent win?  The most successful f1 drivers are all the same.  Christ just listen to Vettel over the car radio to his team for the past couple of years.

Most people who have ever met Hamilton say hes a nice bloke.  Always has time for the crowds at the race tracks. Thats one of the many reasons why Bernie Ecclestone wanted Hamilton to win this year and not Rosberg, as he's far more popular with the fans.  Not to mention he does a stack of fundraising for multiple childrens charities outside of f1.  

But put him in racing overalls and he just wants to win. He's a born winner simple as that.  

• Upvote 1

Based on what?    Because he gets annoyed when he dosent win?  The most successful f1 drivers are all the same.  Christ just listen to Vettel over the car radio to his team for the past couple of years.

Most people who have ever met Hamilton say hes a nice bloke.  Always has time for the crowds at the race tracks. Thats one of the many reasons why Bernie Ecclestone wanted Hamilton to win this year and not Rosberg, as he's far more popular with the fans.  Not to mention he does a stack of fundraising for multiple childrens charities outside of f1.  

But put him in racing overalls and he just wants to win. He's a born winner simple as that.  

Read a journos article today saying Hamilton's tactics would have worked perfectly had the drivers behind wanted to deny Rosberg the Championship. Which he thinks they may not have.

I think he's a spoilt brat and a twat, i see a few on here think the same. If a lot of the other drivers think the same i wouldnt be at all surprised. Anyway the Bloody car is the star in that Sport and Mercedes are the car to be in.

Guest Pistonbroke

Be interesting to see who Mercedes go for as a replacement. Obviously the rumour mill will tout Verstappen about a lot but I wouldn't be suprised to see Perez or Sainz Jr getting the gig. 

• 6 months later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Hamilton is an arrogant little tosser. I don't mind Vettel. 

Vettel is a stuck up arrogant tosser mate, so is Hamilton though. I can't stand either of them.