You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Was watching something about Formula A1,which kept everything on an even keel by all the drivers having identical cars therefore it being all about driving skill and not the best car.

Died a death though.

A1GP's problem was despite making a big fuss in their promos about having all equal machinery, this actually put them in a group of approximately 9567247483028 other racing series that had one make of car so there was really nothing special about it at all. F1 for all its other problems at least kind of still retains the idea of man and machine, even if the "machine" part gets more and more neutered as time goes on.

Modern F1 can still suck on my fat one though, more synchronised overtaking parades interrupted by mandatory pit stops to replace their bubblegum tyres, than a good old fashioned race from A to B like it used to be. The WEC (LMP1 category in particular) pisses all over it, IMHO.

F1's problem has been in endlessly chasing the "sports entertainment" shit with endless changes and gimmicks, but the casual sports fan still thinks its boring while they've pissed off lifelong racing nerd helmets like me as well, and they wonder why ratings are tanking and sponsors are running a mile.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you need to be a Tory to question the wisdom of paying 100 BBC executives a higher salary than the Prime Minister.

You do need to be a hypocrite to question that wisdom and not look at (or defend) what executives in other, much less successful brands, get though.

When mediocre businessmen and executives all over the land are earning more than the PM doesn't it rather become a false comparison?

I imagine there's plenty of trimming to the hierarchy you could do at the BBC. The PM should also probably be paid more.

But let's not pretend the Tories care about running the BBC efficiently. If they did they'd invest more, not less, into a world class brand (instead of trying to cripple it so poorer private organisations run by donors can increase their market share).

• Upvote 1

I would tend to think that comparisons between pay in the public and private sectors are flawed from the off.

Almost certainly.

Hard to argue that the executive at one of the top brands in the world shouldn't be pretty damn well paid though isn't it?

Comparing him against his private sector equivalents by role, or his private sector equals with regards to pay has to be a more valuable exercise that arbitrarily picking the PM, surely?

How many you need, and how many layers of them is a far more important point I'd guess.

The BBC should just have a 4 minute highlight reel that includes the start, a few crashes, the pits stops and then somebody driving over the finish line. Fuck having it on for hours, it is a shit sport watched by complete helmets.

F1 is so shit that if you don't like it your posts in threads about it automatically qualify to be made in bold.

• Upvote 2

I don't even think this shit is a sport. I reckon I could beat another team if you out me in Hamiltons car. Most of the time the other cars are that much better than other cars it's impossible to lose. How is that fair like.

You've got them all walking round like rock stars cos they drive way far superior than the other guys and take all the credit.

Load of wank.

• 10 months later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Not an F1 fan but I caught the end of today and it was decent.

Would be funny if Rosberg spins out in Abu Dhabi. Almost did today. Smug cunt. He's only 1st because of Hamilton's car issues.

Hamilton is every bit as smug, plus a right sore loser. Rosberg has also suffered due to car issues earlier in the season. I don't particularly like either of them but acknowledge they are both talented drivers. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Verstappen was brilliant in that race. Plus he seems to really get up Vettel's nose, which is an added bonus.

Vettel is just the German version of Hamilton. His radio message whining about Verstappen was bitterness personified. 

Verstappen is possibly the most talented driver since Senna. His potential has been talked up for years, more so than when Hamilton was coming through, even. Well, he looks ready to deliver. Good outside bet for the drivers championship next season, providing he's not already one of the favourites.

Guest Pistonbroke

They should water the track for every race-it makes F1 interesting again.

They should do one in snow with snow chains on the tyres, -20 degrees, watch Hamilton and co whinge then.