You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Amazed bottas didn't drive it into the wall next to the williams to keep the safety car out of that decision was made. Have that ye cunts. Very easy to spin up his back tires and claim it was an accident. Being able to pit under a safety car is a scandalous rule to be honest. It's completely random as to who it influences and when a race is red flagged, you can also chance tires and any damaged body work! Race victories have been changed after races in the past. I remember  Brazil bout 15 years ago, when Schumacher was out of the race but going for the title, and a weird incident happened at the end to bring out the safety car. The race victory went to one driver,but Schumacher himself said that a Jordan driver, can't remember his name, was actually ahead on the lap they used for the race win and they had a separate winners podium with the new result in the next grand prix in Italy. Twas Jordans last win if my memory serves. 

My point being that if rules were contravened by the race director, there is precedent to change the result.

Bollix of a way to win or lose it when all is said and done.

Edit here it is. But you've to watch it on YouTube itself. Mad and what a crash at the end. Forgot how bad it was

3 hours ago, The Golden Eel said:

I'm not a fan of F1, so I don't speak with any great knowledge, but I watched this earlier and I'm still in a bit of shock at what I witnessed. I don't/didn't care who won. I honestly think it's the most ridiculous sporting moment I've ever seen.

Hamilton is ahead of Verstappen the whole race - literally the whole race, and, from how I was reading it, he was definitely going to win bar him crashing or something like that. So it's all over bar the shouting. But then, a few laps before the end, someone else completely unrelated crashes and the outcome of that is that, all of a sudden, Hamilton's not really ahead any longer, it's essentially become a short race off a standing start, which he loses. What?! How?! 

So, was a rule not followed or what happened? Because surely to good fuck there's no rule that can say that what happened in this scenario is a reasonable, logical or fair outcome. Is there some ambiguity in the rules that can go "either way"? Because, if there is, then how can the person making that decision look at the current state of the race and ever come to the conclusion that the best outcome is what happened earlier? 

I honestly cant fathom what I witnessed earlier. 

Same, felt a bit like a game of the unmentionable being 10-0 then someone shouting next goal the winner.

• Upvote 1

The race I watched had Hamilton ahead with one lap to go. No title was given to Verstappen, he had to pass him or put it another way Hamilton had to keep him back for just one lap. Perez held Hamilton back earlier in the race for longer than Hamilton needed to and his tyres where hanging together at the time and Lewis had fresh ones. It was no foregone conclusion, it was a race which is the name of the game.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

The race I watched had Hamilton ahead with one lap to go. No title was given to Verstappen, he had to pass him or put it another way Hamilton had to keep him back for just one lap. Perez held Hamilton back earlier in the race for longer than Hamilton needed to and his tyres where hanging together at the time and Lewis had fresh ones. It was no foregone conclusion, it was a race which is the name of the game.

That’s not an equivalence at all. That was fresh(er) hard tyres, not fresh softs. That was catching at full race speed, not a restart from practically standing. That was with DRS available to Perez to help repass, not deactivated by rule.

The chances of Hamilton keeping Max at bay after that restart weren’t nil, but they weren’t much higher.

• Upvote 1

On 09/12/2021 at 02:51, rb14 said:

The most amazing GP last weekend in Saudi. I think I could write reams on what took place. I'll try and keep it brief:

• Lewis has had a rainbow painted onto his helmet for these Middle East rounds as a direct dig at their homosexuality laws. Good on him. Mind, given that he and I have our helmets painted by the same guy, I reckon he's simply copied mine (see below). 
  • The brake-check that Max did on Lewis: Max said he was "slowing". 68 bar of brake pressure and 2.4g is not "slowing", it's brake-checking. 
  • Points can't be deducted @Mike D. They can put points on to a driver's license; they can't deduct race points. The closest they have is docking grid positions, adding time (not much), stop/go penalties, or disqualification. If Max were to be DQ'ed by taking Lewis out in the race, he'd still win the World Championship by countback on race wins. If for any reason Lewis fails to score points at Yas, Max will be World Champion irrespective of whether - or where - Max finishes. 
  • There is a serious flaw in the rules of F1 that enable an illegal overtake (e.g. off-track), but then the place can be given back in such a way that enables the miscreant to immediately take back the place (e.g. just before the DRS trigger). That flaw led directly to Max overtaking Ocon and later, the brake-check on Hamilton mentioned above. 
  • The FIA didn't exactly cover themselves in glory in Saudi, but to be fair, there were extraordinary circumstances from start to finish.
  • The FIA have certainly, in my view, failed to properly enforce rules and regulations. I think perhaps the pendulum of increasing viewing-figures has swung too far. My fear is that they've set precedents this season that will prove hard to reverse. I can certainly say it won't improve driving standards across motorsport generally. It's akin to schoolkid f**tballers diving and feigning injury, imitating what they see in the professional game. 

I'm really surprised at the level of Lewis hate on here. I get that he can can come across as more than a bit of a knob, and I understand some of his financial affairs are, at best, questionable, but does that warrant hatred? He is perhaps one of the top five drivers of all time, undoubtably the most successful ever in F1. I don't know him personally, but friends who do say he's really lovely. He may well be family (c.f. Valentino Rossi), but that's, of course, only rumour. 

I strongly suspect that no current F1 driver could match his lap times if they were driving the same car, wet or dry. Next season, alongside George Russell, will be very interesting. 

IMG-20170412-WA0011.jpg

Do you work with Idris Elba on the Pacific Rim?

3 hours ago, Mike D said:

They didn’t allow all the lapped cars to go round, so you have the lapped orange Mclaren behind Verstappen at the re start which wasn’t 3rd, The Ferrari was, so there was no chance the Ferrari could have overtaken Verstappen at the restart.

That's a good point that seems to have been overlooked so far amid all the shit going on at the front. I think it was Sainz in third place behind Verstappen. When the race director made the bizarre decision to allow only the five lapped cars in front of Verstappen through he effectively ended any possibility of Sainz overtaking Verstappen for second.

Now, you might say the chances of that happening were slight anyway, but that shouldn't be for the race director to decide. Perhaps Sainz's team might yet have a say in the outcome here.

edit: just realised I might be completely fucking wrong here!

Edited by Jack the Sipper

49 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Swings and roundabouts.  Both drivers have benefited from safety cars all season, I suspect

I think that's sort of the point. Under normal circumstances they'd have finished the race under the safety car. Some times you benefit, some times you don't, but to keep a safety car just long enough to bunch up the field, then start racing before it should come in, is just a contrived situation with seemingly no precedent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I have no time for Hamilton, but he was robbed yesterday. 

Same. I only tuned into see him lose yesterday as I think F1 sucks ass. Thought it was hilarious in real time, but actually feel kinda bad for him now. Massive screw job. 

• Upvote 3