You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The most amazing GP last weekend in Saudi. I think I could write reams on what took place. I'll try and keep it brief:

• Lewis has had a rainbow painted onto his helmet for these Middle East rounds as a direct dig at their homosexuality laws. Good on him. Mind, given that he and I have our helmets painted by the same guy, I reckon he's simply copied mine (see below). 
  • The brake-check that Max did on Lewis: Max said he was "slowing". 68 bar of brake pressure and 2.4g is not "slowing", it's brake-checking. 
  • Points can't be deducted @Mike D. They can put points on to a driver's license; they can't deduct race points. The closest they have is docking grid positions, adding time (not much), stop/go penalties, or disqualification. If Max were to be DQ'ed by taking Lewis out in the race, he'd still win the World Championship by countback on race wins. If for any reason Lewis fails to score points at Yas, Max will be World Champion irrespective of whether - or where - Max finishes. 
  • There is a serious flaw in the rules of F1 that enable an illegal overtake (e.g. off-track), but then the place can be given back in such a way that enables the miscreant to immediately take back the place (e.g. just before the DRS trigger). That flaw led directly to Max overtaking Ocon and later, the brake-check on Hamilton mentioned above. 
  • The FIA didn't exactly cover themselves in glory in Saudi, but to be fair, there were extraordinary circumstances from start to finish.
  • The FIA have certainly, in my view, failed to properly enforce rules and regulations. I think perhaps the pendulum of increasing viewing-figures has swung too far. My fear is that they've set precedents this season that will prove hard to reverse. I can certainly say it won't improve driving standards across motorsport generally. It's akin to schoolkid f**tballers diving and feigning injury, imitating what they see in the professional game. 

I'm really surprised at the level of Lewis hate on here. I get that he can can come across as more than a bit of a knob, and I understand some of his financial affairs are, at best, questionable, but does that warrant hatred? He is perhaps one of the top five drivers of all time, undoubtably the most successful ever in F1. I don't know him personally, but friends who do say he's really lovely. He may well be family (c.f. Valentino Rossi), but that's, of course, only rumour. 

I strongly suspect that no current F1 driver could match his lap times if they were driving the same car, wet or dry. Next season, alongside George Russell, will be very interesting. 

IMG-20170412-WA0011.jpg

• Upvote 5

His dad seems like a level-headed, calm and charming fella as well:

Controversy[edit]

After a 1998 incident at a karting track in which a man suffered a fractured skull, Verstappen and his father were found guilty in court of assault but were each given a five-year suspended jail sentence after reaching an out-of-court settlement with the victim.[34]

In December 2008, with the couple effectively separated, Verstappen appeared in court in Tongeren, Belgium, charged with assaulting his wife.[35] He was found not guilty of assault, but guilty of threatening Kumpen in text messages and of violating a previously issued restraining order. He was fined and sentenced to three months probational, suspended prison sentence.[36]

On 29 November 2011, the media reported allegations that Verstappen had assaulted his ex-girlfriend; Verstappen claimed to only have had a discussion with her.[37] In January 2012, he was arrested on attempted murder charges following accusations that he drove a car into his ex-girlfriend in Roermond,[38] but released two weeks later after the charge was withdrawn.[39]

I started to lose interest in F1 around the time Jenson Button had a car that was clearly unbeatable. It’s been largely the same ever since, with Vettel and then Hamilton being the recipients of the best car. I can understand people wanting Verstappen to win and break that cycle. I’d ordinarily think the same but Verstappen is such an annoying, petulant, little prick that I can’t bring myself to root for him. It’s definitely made it more interesting having two teams that can win though. 

My boy is into it, watches most of the races and wants Max to win but I’m going against him. That makes it more interesting for me too. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I started to lose interest in F1 around the time Jenson Button had a car that was clearly unbeatable. It’s been largely the same ever since, with Vettel and then Hamilton being the recipients of the best car. I can understand people wanting Verstappen to win and break that cycle. I’d ordinarily think the same but Verstappen is such an annoying, petulant, little prick that I can’t bring myself to root for him. It’s definitely made it more interesting having two teams that can win. 

My boy is into it, watches most of the races and wants Max to win but I’m going against him. That makes it more interesting for me too. 

In all fairness it was like that when i used to watch it, Senna and Prost in 1988 went through the whole season with Mclaren and they won every race, apart from one where Senna was taken out by a back marker. Likewise Mansell in 1992, Prost in 1993 with Williams and Schumacher between 2000-2004 with Ferrari, it was near enough total domination. The Schumacher era was when i started going off it, as it was tedious watching his big grid grinning after every race. I've not really gone back fully since. From my memory though, most seasons have had one team dominating, with potentially one other team challenging, it's rare that has altered.        

18 hours ago, rb14 said:

The most amazing GP last weekend in Saudi. I think I could write reams on what took place. I'll try and keep it brief:

• Lewis has had a rainbow painted onto his helmet for these Middle East rounds as a direct dig at their homosexuality laws. Good on him. Mind, given that he and I have our helmets painted by the same guy, I reckon he's simply copied mine (see below). 
  • The brake-check that Max did on Lewis: Max said he was "slowing". 68 bar of brake pressure and 2.4g is not "slowing", it's brake-checking. 
  • Points can't be deducted @Mike D. They can put points on to a driver's license; they can't deduct race points. The closest they have is docking grid positions, adding time (not much), stop/go penalties, or disqualification. If Max were to be DQ'ed by taking Lewis out in the race, he'd still win the World Championship by countback on race wins. If for any reason Lewis fails to score points at Yas, Max will be World Champion irrespective of whether - or where - Max finishes. 
  • There is a serious flaw in the rules of F1 that enable an illegal overtake (e.g. off-track), but then the place can be given back in such a way that enables the miscreant to immediately take back the place (e.g. just before the DRS trigger). That flaw led directly to Max overtaking Ocon and later, the brake-check on Hamilton mentioned above. 
  • The FIA didn't exactly cover themselves in glory in Saudi, but to be fair, there were extraordinary circumstances from start to finish.
  • The FIA have certainly, in my view, failed to properly enforce rules and regulations. I think perhaps the pendulum of increasing viewing-figures has swung too far. My fear is that they've set precedents this season that will prove hard to reverse. I can certainly say it won't improve driving standards across motorsport generally. It's akin to schoolkid f**tballers diving and feigning injury, imitating what they see in the professional game. 

I'm really surprised at the level of Lewis hate on here. I get that he can can come across as more than a bit of a knob, and I understand some of his financial affairs are, at best, questionable, but does that warrant hatred? He is perhaps one of the top five drivers of all time, undoubtably the most successful ever in F1. I don't know him personally, but friends who do say he's really lovely. He may well be family (c.f. Valentino Rossi), but that's, of course, only rumour. 

I strongly suspect that no current F1 driver could match his lap times if they were driving the same car, wet or dry. Next season, alongside George Russell, will be very interesting. 

IMG-20170412-WA0011.jpg

Not gonna lie... at this point my mind wandered to places it shouldn't....

Great write up. Still hope he loses the blert but good on him for standing up to them vile bastards. 

Nice helmet by the way RB. 

• Upvote 1