You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm not a fan of F1, so I don't speak with any great knowledge, but I watched this earlier and I'm still in a bit of shock at what I witnessed. I don't/didn't care who won. I honestly think it's the most ridiculous sporting moment I've ever seen.

Hamilton is ahead of Verstappen the whole race - literally the whole race, and, from how I was reading it, he was definitely going to win bar him crashing or something like that. So it's all over bar the shouting. But then, a few laps before the end, someone else completely unrelated crashes and the outcome of that is that, all of a sudden, Hamilton's not really ahead any longer, it's essentially become a short race off a standing start, which he loses. What?! How?! 

So, was a rule not followed or what happened? Because surely to good fuck there's no rule that can say that what happened in this scenario is a reasonable, logical or fair outcome. Is there some ambiguity in the rules that can go "either way"? Because, if there is, then how can the person making that decision look at the current state of the race and ever come to the conclusion that the best outcome is what happened earlier? 

I honestly cant fathom what I witnessed earlier. 

4 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

I'm not a fan of F1, so I don't speak with any great knowledge, but I watched this earlier and I'm still in a bit of shock at what I witnessed. I don't/didn't care who won. I honestly think it's the most ridiculous sporting moment I've ever seen.

Hamilton is ahead of Verstappen the whole race - literally the whole race, and, from how I was reading it, he was definitely going to win bar him crashing or something like that. So it's all over bar the shouting. But then, a few laps before the end, someone else completely unrelated crashes and the outcome of that is that, all of a sudden, Hamilton's not really ahead any longer, it's essentially become a short race off a standing start, which he loses. What?! How?! 

So, was a rule not followed or what happened? Because surely to good fuck there's no rule that can say that what happened in this scenario is a reasonable, logical or fair outcome. Is there some ambiguity in the rules that can go "either way"? Because, if there is, then how can the person making that decision look at the current state of the race and ever come to the conclusion that the best outcome is what happened earlier? 

I honestly cant fathom what I witnessed earlier. 

Because the sport is shit and decisions this season have been determined by off track decisions.

For example at Spa this year the race lasted all of 1 or 2 laps and a result was declared by  which half points were handed out with Max getting 12.5 points. 

It's utter bonkers that a result can be declared in a race that last 1 or two laps. 

I've watched F1 for 27 years and seen some dark times in the sport and some utterly questionable decisions but this tonight has topped them all in terms of questioning the integrity of the entire sport. 

That tonight was an engineered decision and a complete shit the bed reaction to the season ending under a safety car.

Asking FIA stewards to overturn that is like asking the tory Party to investigate their Christmas party. Zero credibility in the outcome. 

I'm no Hamilton fan either if people say as I find him a pretentious prick and congrads to Max but its moments like this which sort of gives you a look behind the curtain and it doesn't look good. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t usually watch F1 as I think it is more the cars than the drivers these days, and it has tracks which don’t allow for racing skills to influence races.

But today I was surprised five (?) cars were allowed through to leave Verstappen immediately behind Hamilton, and even more surprised that the eleven second lead Hamilton had before the safety car was deployed wasn’t re-established by the stewards before Verstappen was allowed to chase him.

He’d worked hard for that lead and, in my opinion, should have had it back before the race restarted.

Maybe that’s naive of me, but wouldn’t it be fairer to have it that way?

Having zero interest in F1, I'm finding myself somewhat more angered than I should be at this 'let them race' line. You literally took away an 10 second lead, got everyone out the way and then let one fella with better tyres fly past the other fella. Hardly the noble racing the sound bite suggests.

• Upvote 6

Some people banging on about how much of a classic season this was? It was utter garbage and if you want to look at a great season take a look at the 2016 season where Hamilton and Nico Rosberg who were team mates at Merc fought for the title and it going to the last race.

Now that is how a season should end if the title goes all the way to the final race.

Nico had to pull out absolutely everything  to beat Lewis and didn't need the help of the FIA to do it. 

It took so much out of him that after he retired from the sport as he achieved his ultimate ambition and that was to follow in his father's footsteps and become champion.  

What happened today is symptomatic of how a lot of sport is turning to shit; a contrived ending to satisfy TVs endless demand for dramatic finishes. Hamilton was 10 seconds clear, he is the real winner but the race director ignored the clear rules to set up a contrived lap. I anticipate the courts will void the race and the credibility of the sport will be massively undermined.

No real fan of F1 is saying that was a classic finish, we all know we’re being treated like children. 

The crux here, is that there are a choice of safety car scenarios. Allowing all the cars to un-lap themselves between Hamilton and Verstappen, was the difference. If Verstappen had had to pass 6 cars, he couldn’t have done it in 1 lap.

Rigged at the last moment? Or was the crash a ‘back-hander’ for a back marker?

15 minutes ago, Mike D said:

And that has happened in the past, Renault had one of their cars crash on purpose to bring out a safety car.

Yep and that the team's managing director Flavioc Briatore, and its director Pat Symonds were given lifetime bans from F1 at one point which were reduced on appeal iirc.