You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

12 minutes ago, rb14 said:

The car absolutely should split the way it did. It's a carbon tub safety cell to which the rear end (engine, etc.) is bolted. The fire is pretty much inevitable and worse because it's the opening lap of the race - fuel tank full. 

From the link I posted earlier;

Secondly, what happened to create the fire? The conflagration, though large, does not seem to have been big enough for it to have been the entire 100kg fuel load in the car.

So was it a broken fuel line? Was it a compression of the tank forcing a relatively small amount of fuel out of the filler?

And wrapped up in the issue of the fire is why the car came apart in the way it did. As Wolff said: "The car breaking shouldn't happen - the rear should break off with the engine and not the engine staying on the chassis."

It split, but not the way it was designed too and it is designed so there would be no fire. 

I just think, like the splitting barrier, the way the car hit and the angle was just totally not expected to be possible. The question is can/should you chance designs for a one in a million occurrence and if you do what is the knock on effect ?

The engine staying on is interesting but not earth-shattering. Certainly the separation should leave the carbon tub intact with no engine attached, but ensuring that happens every time is, to my mind, nigh-on impossible. 

I don't know, but my guess is the engine ruptured the fuel cell in the process of separation. 

As for designing for a one in a million occurrence, no. Definitely not. Nobody races cars thinking it's risk-free. In fact the knowledge it isn't (risk-free) is, for many, what makes it worth doing. 

The barrier split is really odd. That just shouldn't have happened. Somebody's head will roll. No, wait. I don't mean like that

The good thing is he wasn't seriously hurt, but a few things happened that shouldn't and the investigation will look into that. It shows how safe the cars are when you can see him engulfed in a fireball and get himself out and walk away.

Just found this, the technology they have is amazing;

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12149940/fia-outlines-romain-grosjean-crash-investigation-barrier-changed-for-sakhir-gp

Meanwhile, barrier changes have already been made for this weekend's second race at the desert venue, which features a different track layout but includes Turn Three where Grosjean crashed and his Haas car pierced the metal guardrail.

A tyre barrier has now been installed in front of the guardrail at that point of the track.

The investigation is expected to take around six to eight weeks. Findings will then be made public.

Explaining how data collection - including the high-speed camera that faces the driver in the cockpit and in-ear accelerometers that are moulded to fit inside a driver's ear canal to measure the movement of his head in a crash - will play a pivotal role in understanding what happened, the FIA said all areas of the incident such as F1's protective driver clothing, crash helmet, Halo and the performance of the barrier will be assessed.

6 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

It shows how safe the cars are when you can see him engulfed in a fireball and get himself out and walk away.

Yes but. Romain's protective gear (the best, as stipulated by the FIA) affords no more than about 12 seconds of fire/heat resistance. Far, far less well-known is that the act of sitting in the seat means the race suit generally rides up the leg, leaving ankles relatively unprotected. They absolutely must mandate a loop be fitted to each racesuit leg that fixes the bottom of the racesuit leg under the foot so it doesn't ride up. He actually left a boot behind during his hasty egress, suggesting he wasn't wearing ankle-covering boots (or they weren't properly secured). Crazy. 

Similarly, race gloves have to strike a balance between feel and protection. But there simply isn't sufficient protection on the back of the gloves. I don't know anybody who uses an under-glove. The back of the glove and the material extending up the wrist needs to be seriously improved. This is why his wrists (and ankles) were burned. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Does anyone else think Mercedes may have sabotaged Russell yesterday to save face for Hamilton? Fastest car claims etc? 

Not a chance in hell. @Numerohas it. Toto has nothing to gain by sabotaging one of his key prodigies.

The real question is whether they'll give George the Abu Dhabi drive if Lewis is able to race. 

5 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Not a chance in hell. @Numerohas it. Toto has nothing to gain by sabotaging one of his key prodigies.

The real question is whether they'll give George the Abu Dhabi drive if Lewis is able to race. That's the money shot. 

Well there is a chance he might of done just that. Might be unlikely but it's not unquestionable. I can imagine that fart Hamilton making the call himself. 

• Downvote 1

@Bjornebye I think unlikely doesn't touch the sides. What happened is that Aitken lost his front wing (lucky boy by the way; that was sooo close to disaster) and due to the track position of the cars, Merc HAD to make the call on the spot. Nobody was expecting a stoppage (many teams - including Merc - were already packing up due to the fast turnaround for Yas) and the pit crew just weren't ready. Had Merc not pitted, they'd risk their closest challengers going on to softs whilst Merc were on old hards, and those challengers being right behind them on the restart. 

It was a shitfight and they got it wrong. Even then, George would still have won but for a puncture. No. No way was there any premeditation or shenanigans involved. 

10 minutes ago, rb14 said:

@Bjornebye I think unlikely doesn't touch the sides. What happened is that Aitken lost his front wing (lucky boy by the way; that was sooo close to disaster) and due to the track position of the cars, Merc HAD to make the call on the spot. Nobody was expecting a stoppage (many teams - including Merc - were already packing up due to the fast turnaround for Yas) and the pit crew just weren't ready. Had Merc not pitted, they'd risk their closest challengers going on to softs whilst Merc were on old hards, and those challengers being right behind them on the restart. 

It was a shitfight and they got it wrong. Even then, George would still have won but for a puncture. No. No way was there any premeditation or shenanigans involved. 

Yeah well fuck Hamilton so I’m just going to assume it was all on him. I didn’t watch it and I’d put my house on you being right mate but it doesn’t sit with my “I can’t stand the cunt” stance so I’m gonna slag him off for it. The shifty selfish bastard 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah well fuck Hamilton so I’m just going to assume it was all on him. I didn’t watch it and I’d put my house on you being right mate but it doesn’t sit with my “I can’t stand the cunt” stance so I’m gonna slag him off for it. The shifty selfish bastard 

Rather like Verstappen, I think Lewis needs to have a bit of a think about how he comes across. I totally get your stance on him (Hamilton) and I'm not disagreeing with you. There is more than a whiff of arrogance. 

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I wasn’t that fussed about formula 1 but it’s brilliant. The whole industry comes down to 13 guys in their early to late 20s and seven older guys, the eldest of whom is 41. Really insightful. 

Fixed that for you. And yes, it's a really good series. 

• 3 months later...
Just now, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Mission accomplished then. Took his penalty on the chin and won. No different to a Chiellini clothesline challenge. 

Took his biggest rival out of the race, threatened to do it to Leclerc. The penalty was a disgrace. He's a little cunt 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Took his biggest rival out of the race, threatened to do it to Leclerc. The penalty was a disgrace. He's a little cunt 

Meh, he does what it takes to win. No champion gets to the top making friends.

The list of solo sporting greats who aren't cunts is probably a short list.

Just now, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Meh, he does what it takes to win. No champion gets to the top making friends.

The list of solo sporting greats who aren't cunts is probably a short list.

That doesn't change the fact that he's a cheat and a cunt.