You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Ask yourself why Iran are having to fight those wars and if you are honest with yourself you will come up with the correct answer and it won't suit your agenda. 

HINT: The word is in the above tweet. 

You are aware Iran is a major regional player with more than enough oil already and altogether not great bunch of lads ?

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

You are aware Iran is a major regional player with more than enough oil already and altogether not great bunch of lads ?

Of course I am. I also know that Israel and the States are major players in the area and are altogether not a great bunch of lads. Happy? 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Of course I am. I also know that Israel and the States are major players in the area and are altogether not a great bunch of lads. Happy? 

I mean, Iran don't HAVE to fight all those wars. They fight them because they want to.

9 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I mean, Iran don't HAVE to fight all those wars. They fight them because they want to.

Same can be said for Israel and the USA. Whats your point ? 

Actually... I personally think the USA do kind of HAVE too but lets not get into why. 

43 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Same can be said for Israel and the USA. Whats your point ? 

Actually... I personally think the USA do kind of HAVE too but lets not get into why. 

The point, the point... you said they have to fight these wars, they don't have to be in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and so on. It's not a "defensive action" on their part.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The point, the point... you said they have to fight these wars, they don't have to be in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and so on. It's not a "defensive action" on their part.

Next you'll be telling us they didn't need to massacre hundreds of protesters last year.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

I’d imagine they see it as countering the expansion of Saudi’s Sunni ideology as opposed to Shia ideology. Saudi are more western centric but happy to find organisations like ISIS to expand their ideology but also to play off against the west. Iran are happy to do the same promoting groups like Hammas and also militia groups in Iraq, and offering tacit support to the Syrian government. None of them - Iran, Saudi Arabia, Israel - need to do it, but they do.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Despite being a young inexperienced Country the USA lead Iran 50-0 in the let's start a War cup. 

I raised this point earlier this year and I’m pretty sure it offended a number of the right leaning posters.

11 hours ago, Anubis said:

I’d imagine they see it as countering the expansion of Saudi’s Sunni ideology as opposed to Shia ideology. Saudi are more western centric but happy to find organisations like ISIS to expand their ideology but also to play off against the west. Iran are happy to do the same promoting groups like Hammas and also militia groups in Iraq, and offering tacit support to the Syrian government. None of them - Iran, Saudi Arabia, Israel - need to do it, but they do.

Yes, except it's well beyond that, ever since Islamists hijacked Iranian revolution in the 70s their ambition is to be the dominant force in all of the Islamic world. It even extended to Bosnian war in the 90s, where increased involvement of Iran (as well as Sunni jihadist organizations) persuaded the Clinton administration to take an active role in the conflict. Iran is regionally now like America on steroids when it comes to direct meddling, It's their influence and heavy-handed approach which constantly creates conditions for radicalization of Sunnies in the north of Iraq which moves them towards organizations like ISIS. Plus, they really hate Israel and Israel routinely bombs their installations in Syria.

I don't know much about Iranian internal politics, but I don't think it would be a stretch if you thought that Republican Guard leadership is one of the chief obstacles to democratization.

We can only hope this assassination wasn't just a reckless act of state terrorism and mindless escalation, but that the US actually has a plan, that is, that Soleimani really was the main driving force behind Iranian tactic to fight sanctions with a string of dangerously provocative acts against American interests, which will now stop, and not just that some people lost there nerve.

Oh, and "offering tacit support to the Syrian government" is probably an understatement of the year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, SasaS said:

We can only hope this assassination wasn't just a reckless act of state terrorism and mindless escalation, but that the US actually has a plan, that is, that Soleimani really was the main driving force behind Iranian tactic to fight sanctions with a string of dangerously provocative acts against American interests, which will now stop, and not just that some people lost there nerve.

You do know who's in charge in America? What makes you believe he could think anything out? He's an impulsive knobhead.