You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

11 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

ISIS in Syria was funded by the US and allies though, surely?  When they were trying to help the good rebels in ousting Assad they spread around money and weapons pretty willy nilly to all sorts of groups who pretty much turned into ISIS.  Thought that was reasonably widely recognised non-fake news?

I mean, they didn't say "how can we fund and arm a crazy Islamist organisation - ah these'll do".  But they did fund and arm a crazy Islamist organisation. 

Probably 1.1 degrees of separation?

I think there were at one point something like 3.000 groups and militias fighting against Assad. It's certainly possible that some of them received guns and funding and later became part of ISIS. But saying that the UK and US funded ISIS would be like saying that the Islamist element of anti-Assad rebellion was created by Assad, because he let them all out of jail to go fight in Iraq and kept the routes for fighters to go fight the Americans open for years.

34 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I think there were at one point something like 3.000 groups and militias fighting against Assad. It's certainly possible that some of them received guns and funding and later became part of ISIS. But saying that the UK and US funded ISIS would be like saying that the Islamist element of anti-Assad rebellion was created by Assad, because he let them all out of jail to go fight in Iraq and kept the routes for fighters to go fight the Americans open for years.

But they did. 

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think I'd like to see evidence that supported such a claim.

You've got google. The facts are out there. I know you struggle with them when it doesn't suit you but the fact is that the US and UK committed funds and weapons that helped support the rise of ISIS. A bit like the US funding and supporting the Taliban in the 80's. 

I have Google, and so do you. You're the one making the claim, so the onus is on you to support it.

It's a matter of public record that the US (among others) funded and trained the mujahideen from which the Taliban emerged, there is a mound of evidence and nobody disputes it. So you would think that if the same were true with regard to Isis, there would be something out there to corroborate it.

25 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I have Google, and so do you. You're the one making the claim, so the onus is on you to support it.

It's a matter of public record that the US (among others) funded and trained the mujahideen from which the Taliban emerged, there is a mound of evidence and nobody disputes it. So you would think that if the same were true with regard to Isis, there would be something out there to corroborate it.

I don’t have to do a thing. In so much as you don't have to and certainly haven’t provided a shred of evidence to say I am wrong. 

Its pointless with you anyway. Every time me or someone else proves something you ignore it completely and don’t respond because you are completely incapable of ever admitting when you are wrong. 

Even ignoring the fact that the onus is ALWAYS on the person making a claim to support it, how on earth am I supposed to prove that you are wrong?

If I'm ever wrong, I'll happily admit it. I dare say it has to happen eventually, in an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of typewriters way.

27 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Even ignoring the fact that the onus is ALWAYS on the person making a claim to support it, how on earth am I supposed to prove that you are wrong?

If I'm ever wrong, I'll happily admit it. I dare say it has to happen eventually, in an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of typewriters way.

Racist 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

You've got google. The facts are out there. I know you struggle with them when it doesn't suit you but the fact is that the US and UK committed funds and weapons that helped support the rise of ISIS. A bit like the US funding and supporting the Taliban in the 80's. 

The Taliban didn't exist in the 80s.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The US did fund and arm some of the jihadi groups like Al Nusrah and HTS in Idlib in the belief that they were just "rebels" against Assad but I believe the funds have petered out now as the penny has slowly dropped that a lot of these groups were just Al Qaida under another name. Doubtless some of the money and weapons found their way (probably via Turkey) to ISIS but I've not seen any credible evidence that any Western power (unless you include Turkey in that term) has intentionally or directly funded or armed ISIS.  

• Upvote 1