You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It was pretty obvious that's what must have happened, the odds of it being a coincidence would be stratospheric. Maybe the pro-Iran lot will wind their necks in now.

Seriously, who are the pro-Iran lot? I fear it's anybody who waits to see rather than swallowing anything that's said. Like you, I thought it fits the MO of Iran, but that doesn't mean it was. Nor does US allies saying it is. It might well have been, and it might have been a mistake. The point is, it doesn't make you pro-Iran to wait. Anyway, who are the pro-Iran lot?

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Seriously, who are the pro-Iran lot? I fear it's anybody who waits to see rather than swallowing anything that's said. Like you, I thought it fits the MO of Iran, but that doesn't mean it was. Nor does US allies saying it is. It might well have been, and it might have been a mistake. The point is, it doesn't make you pro-Iran to wait. Anyway, who are the pro-Iran lot?

Why do you think shooting down a passenger plane fits the MO of Iran?

In this case civilians going about their business or normal life were wiped out basically as part of a  political posturing  face saving exercise. Fine and dandy if you are looking rating points for potential election(s) or showing your citizens you won't be cowed by threats of reprisals or sanctions. Not great if you were on the plane or a relative of one of the victims.

Then to have one protagonist saying they fear a grave "mistake" has been made by other side and the other side blatantly lying about what happened just sickens me more. 

I haven't apportioned blame here it's not my intent. A plane load of civilians wiped out is that a "good" price to pay for poll ratings in US and the equivalent in ayatollah subservience ? 

Take a look at some of the postings on this thread trying to apportion blame on one side or the other , how many posters are aghast at the loss of life ? Have our moral compasses been totally erased by partisan politics or partisan allegiance  ?  Some things should not be argued about it is wrong from whatever standpoint you occupy.

8 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Footage of the missile striking the plane.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/video/iran-plane-missile.html

"Video verified by The New York Times appears to show an Iranian missile hitting a plane near Tehran’s airport".

This isn't having a go at you or trying to be "pro-Iran" or whatever, but just from experience in the past, when an outlet says something or someone "appears" to do or show something it's often been them seeing if they can get away with some bullshit.

And wasn't the plane on fire as well when it landed? There's no way I'd blindly believe that anyway. I'm not disputing that Iran actually shot a plane down or that it could have been someone else, but I don't trust outlets like the NYT (who've supported pretty much every US coup and act of war down through the years I think) at all in situations like this. The sound of that as well, how a plane could've carried on flying after impact like that I have no idea.

10 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I haven’t done much in my life, to be fair, but two things I’d certainly never do is fly on a Ukrainian airliner or visit Iran. Never mind doing them at the same time. 

There's nothing wrong with Iran though, other than America.