You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3 hours ago, SasaS said:

It's their influence and heavy-handed approach which constantly creates conditions for radicalization of Sunnies in the north of Iraq which moves them towards organizations like ISIS.

You're talking about what creates the conditions for radicalization of Sunnies and ISIS and focusing on Iran? Wow. What about Saudi's being the biggest funders of Wahhabism on the planet? Wouldn't that have anything to do with it? Or the fact that the US invaded Iraq in 2003 which led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people and is still there helping to create chaos? Or the role Saudi Arabia and the US played in destroying Syria?

From the first page of the Middle East thread there's a link that goes into how the leader of ISIS could have been radicalized in the Camp Bucca prison that the US ran, I think that's also where you want to be looking at for a key part in the creation of ISIS.

Former inmates told Al Jazeera in 2009 that Camp Bucca, which closed in September of 2009 and transferred detainees to Iraqi custody, was an “Al Qaeda school,” where extremists gave chalkboard lessons on explosives and suicide bombing techniques to younger prisoners. One former prisoner, Adel Jasim Mohammed, told the Arab news service that one extremist “stayed for a week and recruited 25 of the 34 detainees” he was grouped with. Mohammed said that the US military officials did essentially nothing to stop radicals from indoctrinating other detainees, though US military officials denied to Al Jazeera that jihadists had radicalized moderate prisoners there.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/07/was-camp-bucca-pressure-cooker-extremism/

And a former prison commander at Camp Bucca said :

Re: Badghadi – Many of us at Camp Bucca were concerned that instead of just holding detainees, we had created a pressure cooker for extremism

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/11/04/how-an-american-prison-helped-ignite-the-islamic-state/

So would Iran be so involved in Syria and Iraq if the US hadn't played such a big part in destroying both countries in the first place, and then helping create even more terrorists? I doubt it. That's along with all of the Saudi funding for the actual members of ISIS/Al Qaeda/whatever it's calling itself this week.

And if we were to start adding in the influence/actions of Turkey and Israel things could get a whole lot more of a mess, clearly. Two of the key things behind all of this could be that Israel wants Iran out of the picture because it's the number one boogyman used to whip up the far right (don't worry they'll surely find a new one if a dose of freedom arrives in Iran from the US), and the Shia are one of the main obstacles to Israel/Saudi Arabia carving up the Middle East more easily into how they'd want it. The US probably just wants the usual : oil, which is currently nationalized in Iran. And we know that nationalized oil is like a magnet for the US and its military.

20 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

You're talking about what creates the conditions for radicalization of Sunnies and ISIS and focusing on Iran? Wow. What about Saudi's being the biggest funders of Wahhabism on the planet? Wouldn't that have anything to do with it? Or the fact that the US invaded Iraq in 2003 which led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people and is still there helping to create chaos? Or the role Saudi Arabia and the US played in destroying Syria?

From the first page of the Middle East thread there's a link that goes into how the leader of ISIS could have been radicalized in the Camp Bucca prison that the US ran, I think that's also where you want to be looking at for a key part in the creation of ISIS.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/07/was-camp-bucca-pressure-cooker-extremism/

And a former prison commander at Camp Bucca said :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/11/04/how-an-american-prison-helped-ignite-the-islamic-state/

So would Iran be so involved in Syria and Iraq if the US hadn't played such a big part in destroying both countries in the first place, and then helping create even more terrorists? I doubt it. That's along with all of the Saudi funding for the actual members of ISIS/Al Qaeda/whatever it's calling itself this week.

And if we were to start adding in the influence/actions of Turkey and Israel things could get a whole lot more of a mess, clearly. Two of the key things behind all of this could be that Israel wants Iran out of the picture because it's the number one boogyman used to whip up the far right (don't worry they'll surely find a new one if a dose of freedom arrives in Iran from the US), and the Shia are one of the main obstacles to Israel/Saudi Arabia carving up the Middle East more easily into how they'd want it. The US probably just wants the usual : oil, which is currently nationalized in Iran. And we know that nationalized oil is like a magnet for the US and its military.

I am talking about what happened since the surge and Sunni Awakening all but destroyed Sunni insurgency i Iraq. It was the pro-Iranian Iraqi government that created conditions for the emergence of ISIS as the main political force among Iraqi Sunnis, rather than a fringe group of radicals. Turning fight against ISIS in Iraq into another sectarian strife with numerous reports of war crimes against Sunnis, under the pretense of only going after ISIS, would probably bring about the resurgence of ISIS or some other equally radical  group among the Sunnis. They have also violently suppressed recent wave of anti-government demonstrations in Iraq and Iran was instrumental in all that (if I remember correctly, Soleimani or someone close to him was the actual commander in chief of the Mosul and other anti-ISIS operations and Iran is instrumental in making regular Iraqi army an irrelevant fighting force so it can be replaces by Shia militias incorporated in it).

You can probably go wider and look at how Iranian influence in neighouring countries ultimately prevents the emergence of forces offering more constructive solutions in Israel (their main Palestinian proxy is Islamic Jihad for example), where anything other  than right wing and even more right wing no longer has political significance.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

What is the UNA? Excuse my ignorance but I've never heard of it. 

They aren't a body with any authority and they are a registered charity. This is their mission taken from their website - Making the case for an effective United Nations. We are the only charity in the UK devoted to building support for the UN amongst policymakers, opinion-formers and the public. 

I thought it was worthwhile posting due to many commentators inferring or explicitly stating we can kill or assasinate without impunity because x is bad or deserved to die - doesn't make it legal under international law. 

https://www.una.org.uk/who-we-are/about-us

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

I am talking about what happened since the surge and Sunni Awakening all but destroyed Sunni insurgency i Iraq. It was the pro-Iranian Iraqi government that created conditions for the emergence of ISIS as the main political force among Iraqi Sunnis, rather than a fringe group of radicals. Turning fight against ISIS in Iraq into another sectarian strife with numerous reports of war crimes against Sunnis, under the pretense of only going after ISIS, would probably bring about the resurgence of ISIS or some other equally radical  group among the Sunnis. They have also violently suppressed recent wave of anti-government demonstrations in Iraq and Iran was instrumental in all that (if I remember correctly, Soleimani or someone close to him was the actual commander in chief of the Mosul and other anti-ISIS operations and Iran is instrumental in making regular Iraqi army an irrelevant fighting force so it can be replaces by Shia militias incorporated in it).

You can probably go wider and look at how Iranian influence in neighouring countries ultimately prevents the emergence of forces offering more constructive solutions in Israel (their main Palestinian proxy is Islamic Jihad for example), where anything other  than right wing and even more right wing no longer has political significance.

I think I can see what you're trying to say but have no idea why Iranian influence is singled out and everything else left out of what you're saying. I can get that Iran are playing a part in making the mess over there but not how they can be any type of sole focus.

15 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I think I can see what you're trying to say but have no idea why Iranian influence is singled out and everything else left out of what you're saying. I can get that Iran are playing a part in making the mess over there but not how they can be any type of sole focus.

Because we are in the Iranian thread and discussing their role in all that, since their main operative has been killed and everybody is trying to figure out why now and what their response may be. Otherwise it's all connected, moves and counter moves. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
45 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

Had written a great long screed setting out my thoughts on the matter.

But instead I'm going to the mall to stock up on canned food, bullets, and batteries.

Who knows what that dumb fuck will do next.

My car is running low on petrol and instead of tanking up yesterday I thought 'Fuck it, I#ll wait until Monday.' Schoolboy error on my behalf. 

20 hours ago, SasaS said:

Because we are in the Iranian thread and discussing their role in all that, since their main operative has been killed and everybody is trying to figure out why now and what their response may be. Otherwise it's all connected, moves and counter moves. 

The thread has Iran in the title, the thread opener is about the US bombing the fuck out of other countries and not giving a shit about the consequences.

America would bomb its own grandmother if there were a drop of oil/advantage in it... Mr McKinley started this glorious tradition at the turn of the last century.

The US doesn't discriminate between good and bad.

So, both good guys and cunts alike have and will continue to find themselves at odds with the US, if it suits the US.