You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

7 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

I don't agree that all Iranians see America as their common enemy. The younger generation idolises American culture. Just one of the many reasons there will be no war.

Young Iranians like American culrure, so the USA won't attack? Because the Pentagon and White House give a fuck about that? 

It's possible to make videos dancing to 'Happy' and at the same time  to recognise that the regime that places your country under sanctions and repeatedly threatens military strikes against you, as they dream of overthrowing your government and installing a puppet (again) is your enemy.

Just as it wasn't the existing supporters of Saddam who led the resistance to US aggression from 2003, it would be stupid to assume that Iranians who don't support their government today won't fight against military aggression. 

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Young Iranians like American culrure, so the USA won't attack? Because the Pentagon and White House give a fuck about that? 

It's possible to make videos dancing to 'Happy' and at the same time  to recognise that the regime that places your country under sanctions and repeatedly threatens military strikes against you, as they dream of overthrowing your government and installing a puppet (again) is your enemy.

Just as it wasn't the existing supporters of Saddam who led the resistance to US aggression from 2003, it would be stupid to assume that Iranians who don't support their government today won't fight against military aggression. 

Yes it was. Al Qaida in Iraq was pretty irrelevant in the early days of insurgency and even ISIS heavily relied on Saddam's military personnel and their know-how early on. Also, the US occupation wasn't even the main factor for insurgency, other than, of course, creating the initial situation by removing the previous regime.

On Iran, judging from the discussion, we don't seem to really know how strong and stable the Iranian regime may be right now, are the people being increasingly fed up after 40 years of Islamic revolution so the government may welcome more sabre rattling from the old enemy, are the sanctions hurting them, what is the state of the economy at the moment, are they financially exhausted after several years or financing various military involvements in the region, what is the actual state of their military at the moment etc.

Isn't iranian culture supposed to be reasonably liberal compared to other Arab states? Certainly in terms of things like women's rights, youth culture and dress. They also have elections don't they? Isn't that why beige Harrington dude got ousted?

It would certainly compare favourably to Saudi where they chop your head off for having a picture of Freddy Mercury.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Isn't iranian culture supposed to be reasonably liberal compared to other Arab states? Certainly in terms of things like women's rights, youth culture and dress. They also have elections don't they? Isn't that why beige Harrington dude got ousted?

It would certainly compare favourably to Saudi where they chop your head off for having a picture of Freddy Mercury.

There's lots of good stuff about Iran, but there's also some pretty... well... fucking horrible stuff. I do see a natural change there over the next generation or two. 

They have some ethnic Arabs in Iran, who primarily speak Arabic. They're mainly based in Ahvaz and around other places in the Khuzestan province. I'm not sure that they get the best deal though from the government and its institutions. 

I know a fair few Iranian nationals. Some fucked off because it was mad but a few others have, anecdotally, told me that it's nowhere near as bad as is made out (if you ignore the hanging gays) and a lot of what is banned is actually tolerated and indulged in behind closed doors, including by the hypocritical theological leadership. 

The youths are definitely different to the older generations though. A lot more liberal in their outlook on life. Hence why there's meant to be another economic crisis brewing there, due to the "brain drain" with open minded, educated younger Iranians leaving the country in large numbers. 

On 19/06/2019 at 12:57, Numero Veinticinco said:

The response would be devastating. If people are under the illusion that they can bomb parts of Iran and walk away with a few bombs to close neighbours, they’re out of their minds. It would start a war and global financial collapse like none of us have ever seen before. 

Not sure Trump, Bolton or most of his administration give a shit about the response. Very real possibility now they’ll bomb some Iranian assets, whether those assets are in Iran or not will make a big difference I think. 

Do you think Russia or China will back them if it does go tits up? I reckon China are all talk and more arsed about their economic stability. Can’t see them getting involved and I doubt Russia have got the money for any kind of protracted warfare far from home.

Donald Trump says "You'll soon find out" when asked if the U.S. will strike Iran in retaliation to an American Drone being shot down near the Strait of Hormuz.

Being cynical, not enough people bought into the tanker footage so now a drone attack has arrived which means the poor Americans are forced to defend themselves and retaliate over Iranian aggression. 

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Not sure Trump, Bolton or most of his administration give a shit about the response. Very real possibility now they’ll bomb some Iranian assets, whether those assets are in Iran or not will make a big difference I think. 

Do you think Russia or China will back them if it does go tits up? I reckon China are all talk and more arsed about their economic stability. Can’t see them getting involved and I doubt Russia have got the money for any kind of protracted warfare far from home.

Yeah, I think it is gonna get very messy if they pull the trigger. Some things are predictable. Others are going to get fucking messy. 

1 hour ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Donald Trump says "You'll soon find out" when asked if the U.S. will strike Iran in retaliation to an American Drone being shot down near the Strait of Hormuz.

Being cynical, not enough people bought into the tanker footage so now a drone attack has arrived which means the poor Americans are forced to defend themselves and retaliate over Iranian aggression. 

He always chats shit like that. Remember all the fire and fury bollocks and then Kim diplomatically felched him a few months later on international TV.

He probably doesn't even know where Iran is.

The thing with Trump is he's basically not arsed either way, if you gave him a button to push for world peace he'd push it, if you gave him one for nuclear war he'd press that too, as long as he had his own bunker. 

15 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I hope he hasn't watched Fox today! 

USA! USA! USA! USA! 

D9g5BvcXkAArb2O.jpeg

D9g5CNRXsAYAOmx.jpeg

Is that real?! Holy fucking shit.  No 80s Arnie film could have predicted how nuts the planet would become. 

Murdoch should take more shit than he does for all this stuff.

19 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Is that real?! Holy fucking shit.  No 80s Arnie film could have predicted how nuts the planet would become. 

Murdoch should take more shit than he does for all this stuff.

Yes, it's real, but taken wildly out of context. It's Iran who has said it's ready for war.

9 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Not sure shooting down that drone is going to go well 

Amazing. A country shoots down a toy and America want fucking world war 3 yet that countries neighbours are committing genocide during an illegal occupation but are left alone to do it freely.

Anyone would think money was involved. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, SasaS said:

Yes it was. Al Qaida in Iraq was pretty irrelevant in the early days of insurgency and even ISIS heavily relied on Saddam's military personnel and their know-how early on. Also, the US occupation wasn't even the main factor for insurgency, other than, of course, creating the initial situation by removing the previous regime.

Al Qaeda were irrelevant in Iraq largely because of the mutual hatred between them an Saddam. The Mahdi Army were opponents of Saddam, too. So, yeah, like I said, it wasn't Saddam supporters who led the resistance. 

You've confused me with the suggestion that the American occupation wasn’t the main reason for the insurgency against the American occupation. I've always assumed there was a link there.

1 hour ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Yes, it's real, but taken wildly out of context. It's Iran who has said it's ready for war.

And to put that in context, it's the USA that is threatening to start the war, so what is the Iranian response supposed to be - "Give us a minute, we're not ready"?

• Upvote 1