You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

You could actually feel your teeth rotting while drinking the cherryade.

Lobe the way woolybacks still don't understand that lemonade can refer to any flavour.

"Do you mean cloudy lemonade?"

"No anything will do, cream soda or dandelion and burdock or something."

"Oh you mean fizzy pop!"

"Get the fuck out of here!" 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, redinblack said:

For me, Lemonade = "White"

Everything else was Pop. Im a wool I guess.

Mrs is from northern Ireland and she has to stipulate white lemonade because they also have brown lemonade. The fuck?

She also calls it Fanta orange because they had non orange versions of Fanta, whereas here all Fanta was orange, so you saved yourself an adjective when asking for one. 

Just goes to show what a complex, fascinating, diverse but sometimes scary world we live in.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yep. Alpine,then Schofields were how you graduated with your home brew kits. Mine still tasted like shit though.

I made bitter or export ok but lager either looked shit and tasted great or vice versa, I could never get it right.

The dad of a girl I used to go out with was like a master brewer, he never failed.

He was a milkman and used to use sterry bottles and crown the tops.

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

We used to get both Alpine and Schofields around ours growing up, both were known as the lemonade man.

My dad was boring he'd always get just lemonade and orangeade, maybe an occasional green cream soda. Ace when they came around and he was working we'd all be on pineappleade and cherryade.

Cream Soda with an Ice Cream scoop or two was superb.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Mrs is from northern Ireland and she has to stipulate white lemonade because they also have brown lemonade. The fuck?

She also calls it Fanta orange because they had non orange versions of Fanta, whereas here all Fanta was orange, so you saved yourself an adjective when asking for one. 

Just goes to show what a complex, fascinating, diverse but sometimes scary world we live in.

We have red lemonade in Ireland too. Every kid got mad off their heads on it when in the pubs with their folks. This stuff would have had every E additive under the sun, probably even had Ecstasy in it. Southern Comfort and Red Lemonade is still a very popular drink. I've just realised its called TK... maybe something about TK in your name makes one a tad bonkers. 

@KMD7 - Dec knows what I mean.

TK_Red_Lemonade_2_Litres_2253_T1.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

We have red lemonade in Ireland too. Every kid got mad off their heads on it when in the pubs with their folks. This stuff would have had every E additive under the sun, probably even had Ecstasy in it. Southern Comfort and Red Lemonade is still a very popular drink. I've just realised its called TK... maybe something about TK in your name makes one a tad bonkers. 

@KMD7 - Dec knows what I mean.

TK_Red_Lemonade_2_Litres_2253_T1.jpg

Jesus that's a blast from the past mate!  Great tack. 

1 minute ago, littletedwest said:

Got some new starters at work I had to induct. During small talk found out one used to go my old secondary school. Mentioned it to my boss who said " yeah but she left in a different century to you" he was joking but spot on. A different fucking century.

I remember the day the first millennial started work in our office. She was born in May 2000. Too depressing. 

On Friday night I met up with a colleague in Manchester, he was out with some mates.  One of them is now going out with a girl I worked with about 15 years ago. Apparently when she saw me she went to my mate and said ‘is that bloke called Steve and did he used to have brown hair’.  Crushed. 

(I may have mentioned her before, about 12 years ago her boyfriend went out on a night out and was dicking about.  A bin lorry drove past and stopped at some lights, he climbed the ladder on the back but fell off as it started again.  He banged his head and died, only about 25). 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

On Friday night I met up with a colleague in Manchester, he was out with some mates.  One of them is now going out with a girl I worked with about 15 years ago. Apparently when she saw me she went to my mate and said ‘is that bloke called Steve and did he used to have brown hair’.  Crushed. 

(I may have mentioned her before, about 12 years ago her boyfriend went out on a night out and was dicking about.  A bin lorry drove past and stopped at some lights, he climbed the ladder on the back but fell off as it started again.  He banged his head and died, only about 25). 

Sounds like he'd had a few. Was he trashed?

• Upvote 1