You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

I'm definitely old. Its official. 
An episode of Sabrina the Teenage witch came on earlier and I found myself going, "Yea, her 2 aunts would get a game." The actress who played Sabrina was a teenage crush and she is younger than me in real life. Fuck sake.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I'm definitely old. Its official. 
An episode of Sabrina the Teenage witch came on earlier and I found myself going, "Yea, her 2 aunts would get a game." The actress who played Sabrina was a teenage crush and she is younger than me in real life. Fuck sake.

Yeah it's funny how your tastes mature with you. I'm more into the like of Susanna Reid now who's about 50, I actually find young girls genuinely annoying. Like those love island types. Fuck that. 

• Upvote 3

On 19/06/2022 at 13:08, Captain Turdseye said:

I think I’m gonna go. They meet on Mondays and play in a league and shit. 

I’m 34 at the end of the month. 

Negged for the sheer audacity of being 33, you young piece of shit. 

• Upvote 4

On 18/06/2022 at 11:00, Captain Willard said:

Me and Mrs Willard were at a party with some younger people last night. The conversation turned to tenuous claims to fame and mrs Willard proudly told her story of how her mum went out with the curly haired bloke off Magpie. Blank faces all round, nobody had heard of Magpie. Her tenuous claim to fame has been eroded by the remorseless march of time. 

C7E76F3E-DE9C-40A8-A40C-987BE242A127.jpeg

Mick Robertson! I hated him - he came across as a simpering Home Counties Sociology tutor who took away valuable Jenny Hanley time. Dougie Rae was ok. Robertson was the Peter Purves to Dougie's John Noakes. 

Yes, old.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Mick Robertson! I hated him - he came across as a simpering Home Counties Sociology tutor who took away valuable Jenny Hanley time. Dougie Rae was ok. Robertson was the Peter Purves to Dougie's John Noakes. 

Yes, old.

Ha ha. Irrational hatred of obscure 1970s celebrities, there’s a niche thread if ever I saw one. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Yes, old.

I had Lesley Judd’s autograph when I was a kid. She was nice but no Sarah Greene. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I had Lesley Judd’s autograph when I was a kid. She was nice but no Sarah Greene. 

Yes, a bit like that Peter Kay joke about your mum bringing home cheap pop, not Coke or Irn Bru. Cheap imitation tv presenters.

That reminds me - this hot weather had me thinking about 1976, and when the big Alpine's flat-bed lorry used to turn up to the rescue on a Friday afternoon, and every household used to load up on big bottles of Dandelion & Burdock, Cream Soda etc. Good old-fashioned sugar and chemicals, to beat the heatwave.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Yes, a bit like that Peter Kay joke about your mum bringing home cheap pop, not Coke or Irn Bru. Cheap imitation tv presenters.

That reminds me - this hot weather had me thinking about 1976, and when the big Alpine's flat-bed lorry used to turn up to the rescue on a Friday afternoon, and every household used to load up on big bottles of Dandelion & Burdock, Cream Soda etc. Good old-fashioned sugar and chemicals, to beat the heatwave.

The weight of those Alpine bottles as well, like armour plate on a Tiger 1.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

I've had some dealings with Sarah Greene quite a few times. She is an incredibly nice and decent person. 

When I was at Liverpool Uni in the 80s, there used to be an urban legend about Sarah Greene and the Keele University rugby team. A night that earned her the 'Season's Best Performance ' award. Probably a load of shit. These days it would be on Tik Tok or some suchlike.

17 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

I've had some dealings with Sarah Greene quite a few times. She is an incredibly nice and decent person. 

This disappoints me, I always had her down as a complete twat for some unbeknown reason.

On 19/07/2022 at 12:01, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

there's no way you could tell the flavours apart in a blindfold test.  Except perhaps for the pineappleade.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, stringvest said:

there's no way you could tell the flavours apart in a blindfold test.  Except perhaps for the pineappleade.  

Mixed fruits was apparently just the dregs of the other flavours poured into a bottle.

The lemonade men around ours were all ex cons I'm pretty sure. They used to hang off the wagon like the Turnbull ACs.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsVHKCIj_Glq1YQbe2NE_