You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

There’s a Harry Styles concert on in Manchester tonight.  I’ve spent the 15 min walk from the office to the station shaking my head at the outfits the young girls are wearing.  

I’m too old to get a hard on.  

Harry who?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

There’s a Harry Styles concert on in Manchester tonight.  I’ve spent the 15 min walk from the office to the station shaking my head at the outfits the young girls are wearing.  

I’m too old to get a hard on.  

The alternative would have been seriously creepy 

• Upvote 2

I was chatting with a lad at work on Wednesday and he mentioned his brother is a YouTuber. He plays Championship Manager and people apparently watch him doing it.

The YouTuber makes more than my mate for a 15 hour week.   My mate makes about £200k a year. 

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I was chatting with a lad at work on Wednesday and he mentioned his brother is a YouTuber. He plays Championship Manager and people apparently watch him doing it.

The YouTuber makes more than my mate for a 15 hour week.   My mate makes about £200k a year. 

I opened a business account some years back for a lovely young lady who was studying at Liverpool Uni. She explained she did tutorial videos for the likes of Minescape and she was paid by a US host depending on Youtube views. I asked the likely turnover and she suggested about £30k per month. I was sceptical to say the least, but when I did her annual review the credits received were in seven figures. Blew my mind.

• Upvote 1

Me and Mrs Willard were at a party with some younger people last night. The conversation turned to tenuous claims to fame and mrs Willard proudly told her story of how her mum went out with the curly haired bloke off Magpie. Blank faces all round, nobody had heard of Magpie. Her tenuous claim to fame has been eroded by the remorseless march of time. 

C7E76F3E-DE9C-40A8-A40C-987BE242A127.jpeg

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Me and Mrs Willard were at a party with some younger people last night. The conversation turned to tenuous claims to fame and mrs Willard proudly told her story of how her mum went out with the curly haired bloke off Magpie. Blank faces all round, nobody had heard of Magpie. Her tenuous claim to fame has been eroded by the remorseless march of time. 

C7E76F3E-DE9C-40A8-A40C-987BE242A127.jpeg

Mick somebody?

The conversation with my now grown up kids in the car the other day was about roadworks (we're a pretty interesting bunch). They mentioned how the yellow safety lights around the roadworks were pretty cool and they were kind of timed to go off one after the other - like a runway. I fondly reminisced about the roadworks on our street as a kid, where the workman would return just before dusk and light them because they were gas powered, and we'd steal them and use the paraffin to make fires in our 'den'.

They just stared agog. "WTF! Gas powered?!".  

38 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Mick somebody?

Roberston. Her mum worked at Thames tv. She met pretty much every Tv personality of that decade. As well as dating mick, she used to go drinking after work with Benny hill and frankie Howard In the Anglers pub next door. The pub is still there but Thames tv studios are now expensive flats. 

19 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

This genuinely baffles me and pisses me off equally. 

You go to school, you study (a bit, not too hard), you get an apprenticeship, you try damn hard, you do a days college (you aren’t that interested as it’s boring but you stick it out and get good grades), you go to night school (it’s wank and you hate it but you get the bare minimum). 

Some limp dicked virgin plays a computer game and talks shit in front of a camera and earns more in a week than I would in *counts on fingers* 6 years. 

Roll on death I say. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

My mates kids in one of my old cars a few weeks ago.

Absolutely obsessed with opening and closing the windows because having to do it manually was completely alien to them. 

I bought a new car a few years back and was absolutely raging when I realised it had window winders in the back (i actually thought they were obsolete expect on really base models), the kids though would not stop fucking about with them.

Soon got rid, I was kicking myself for not noticing until after I bought the thing.

1 hour ago, TheBitch said:

This genuinely baffles me and pisses me off equally. 

You go to school, you study (a bit, not too hard), you get an apprenticeship, you try damn hard, you do a days college (you aren’t that interested as it’s boring but you stick it out and get good grades), you go to night school (it’s wank and you hate it but you get the bare minimum). 

Some limp dicked virgin plays a computer game and talks shit in front of a camera and earns more in a week than I would in *counts on fingers* 6 years. 

Roll on death I say. 

The modern economy is built on this stuff.

There's a show we watch called rich house poor house where a wealthy and poor family swap homes for the week.

It started a few years ago and most of the rich people had proper businesses. One was an engineer, another owned a food company. They actually did 'stuff' and employed people.

The last few years they've been more and more flakey jobs. One hosted motivational seminars, one was a 'busienss guru', one had a dropshipping business (where you don't make or sell anything yourself, people buy shite off your site which comes straight from the manufacturer in China). He'd made more money by talking on YouTube about how you could do it too. He had no staff yhoogh, no premises, nowt. 

You see it more and more on LinkedIn. Non jobs built around nonsense. Marketing ninja. Lifestyle guru.

If you could paint a picture of the modern British economy it'd be a group of people all stood  in a circle with their hand in the next person's pocket.

Needless to say, I don't think it's sustainable.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

The modern economy is built on this stuff.

There's a show we watch called rich house poor house where a wealthy and poor family swap homes for the week.

It started a few years ago and most of the rich people had proper businesses. One was an engineer, another owned a food company. They actually did 'stuff' and employed people.

The last few years they've been more and more flakey jobs. One hosted motivational seminars, one was a 'busienss guru', one had a dropshipping business (where you don't make or sell anything yourself, people buy shite off your site which comes straight from the manufacturer in China). He'd made more money by talking on YouTube about how you could do it too. He had no staff yhoogh, no premises, nowt. 

You see it more and more on LinkedIn. Non jobs built around nonsense. Marketing ninja. Lifestyle guru.

If you could paint a picture of the modern British economy it'd be a group of people all stood  in a circle with their hand in the next person's pocket.

Needless to say, I don't think it's sustainable.

How do I get off? This thing sucks balls. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

I bought a new car a few years back and was absolutely raging when I realised it had window winders in the back (i actually thought they were obsolete expect on really base models), the kids though would not stop fucking about with them.

Soon got rid, I was kicking myself for not noticing until after I bought the thing.

They are there because young children were killed by getting their heads and body parts caught in the electric windows. My car still has the manual winders in the back.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They are there because young children were killed by getting their heads and body parts caught in the electric windows. My car still has the manual winders in the back.

Then Darwin's rule should apply, evolution should not be halted.

Anyways I've just found out Pete Tong is 61 and I'm struggling to deal with that.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

An ever increasing number of Father’s Day tributes on my Facebook page are for those who are now departed.

If that’s you then my thoughts are with you on what might well be a difficult day. 

Ghostbook?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Just saw a post on Facebook from some bloke in the next village along. He’s looking for new members to go and play at his indoor carpet bowling club. 

I actually considered it. 

I’m not totally ruling it out. 

Pretend you got it mixed up with curling, take a brush and run ahead of your bowl 

• Upvote 1