You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

9 hours ago, Preston Red said:

Buying music. Especially as a DJ.

Long gone are the days of a trip into Preston or Wigan to buy dance music on vinyl. Granted it was expensive at between £5-£8 per vinyl and buying 10 vinyls a week could make a dent in your money.

A lot of it was the social aspect, meeting other DJs and promoters. Many a laugh was had in record shops over the years. 3Beat had some proper moody arses working in there but had an awesome range of stuff. The old HMV in Liverpool was a great place too for dance music.

Recently, I decided to start getting back into DJing and so on. Invested in an "All-in-One" system to use alongside my 1210s and I've started buying tunes online. Bought 30 tunes about three weeks with another 30 lined up this week. It cost me £35. As mentioned previously, price wise, the same amount of tunes on vinyl would've set me back £150-£240 + fuel getting to the shops. Great for a tight arse like me but I do miss the social side of buying music.

Just doesn't feel the same anymore.

Not a DJ or anything, but buying records in my teens was one of the greatest pleasures coupled with the anticipation of getting home and playing the vinyl for the first time.

My kids don’t understand when I tell them that in an age where any music is instantly accessible I feel sorry for them for missing out on buying records. Instant gratification is, in many ways, diluted gratification.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I had a big vinyl collection of 1980s indie but sold it many years back to pay for Christmas one year. Regret it now but such is life. I remember the record sleeves were like little works of art. You don’t get that with a download.  

I had a big collection of vinyl from the 70's through to the mid 80's when CD's came out.

It was a pretty eclectic collection really, punk, rock, electronic, soul and indie from my personal collection and a lot of chart stuff from the late 70's to mid 83 from when I did a mobile disco with a mate amongst other things.

All gone now though sadly.

You're right about the covers, I'd spend ages looking for certain albums or 12" singles because there was a different mix or a different cover.

You can get to be a bit obsessive over stuff like that.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Not a DJ or anything, but buying records in my teens was one of the greatest pleasures coupled with the anticipation of getting home and playing the vinyl for the first time.

My kids don’t understand when I tell them that in an age where any music is instantly accessible I feel sorry for them for missing out on buying records. Instant gratification is, in many ways, diluted gratification.

I used to love going into Edwards in Kenny to look for records I had red about in Blues and Soul. Still remember that smell of the vinyl

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I had a big collection of vinyl from the 70's through to the mid 80's when CD's came out.

It was a pretty eclectic collection really, punk, rock, electronic, soul and indie from my personal collection and a lot of chart stuff from the late 70's to mid 83 from when I did a mobile disco with a mate amongst other things.

You're right about the covers, I'd spend ages looking for certain albums or 12" singles because there was a different mix or a different cover.

My father in law was a Dj throughout the 1970 and 80s. He’s still got a huge collection of pretty much every single released in a twenty five year period but critically at the time he threw away all the sleeves and put the records  in brown paper folders with felt tip names hence reducing the value of his collection by about 95%. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

My father in law was a Dj throughout the 1970 and 80s. He’s still got a huge collection of pretty much every single released in a twenty five year period but critically at the time he threw away all the sleeves and put the records  in brown paper folders with felt tip names hence reducing the value of his collection by about 95%. 

I couldn't be arsed changing the sleeves so I kept them in the originals and they got creased and worn as a consequence. 

My personal collection was treated very differently though, I wish I still had it.

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I honestly couldn't tell you who's been number one in the charts at any stage since top of the Pops finished.

I honestly couldn't tell you who's been number 1 in the charts since not long after Top of the Pops started.

• Upvote 1

It's mad working with people younger than you. Had to prepare a presentation with someone born in 1998, she said maybe we should add a medical picture in to jazz it up as it refered in part to medical benefits, so I joked whack a picture of Dr Shipman in. She didn't have a clue who he was.

I remember speaking to a girl who worked at McDonald's and asked did they still have trouble with hamburglar, she hadn't a clue who he was

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

My youngest just had her 31st. She is overshadowed these days by her daughter,our grandaughter of course,who was 2 just two days later. 

The absolute best thing about getting older. It's just brilliant. 

Your hand is never out of your pocket mind!

Congratulations mate.

• Upvote 1

On 02/05/2022 at 10:07, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

100% mate. Just walking through the door and having a laugh with lads and women you've built up a friendship with was a big part of the buying experience.

More often than not I'd play on events that involved the people from the shop I bought my tunes from. Having them tell you what's new and if they think it's any good or if it's shite and then you can all talk about it or plans for the next event.

You can't do that on Beatport. It's another reason why people can't enhance/develop social skills. 

On 02/05/2022 at 10:15, Captain Willard said:

I had a big vinyl collection of 1980s indie but sold it many years back to pay for Christmas one year. Regret it now but such is life. I remember the record sleeves were like little works of art. You don’t get that with a download.  

We used to look for picture discs or limited edition promos. Anything eye catching drew you straight in.

It made the journey more worthwhile and gave you that edge over DJs if you had the latest promo and they didn't. A download is easily more accessible. 

23 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Same on this point here. I was talking to a lad at work about vinyl collections and his was more late 70s early 80s stuff, predominantly Gary Numan. Huge Numan fan he is.

He would look for anything and everything by Numan and his bands of the time along with anything else he liked the sound of. But, he would always go for picture discs or covers that really caught his eye. I'm sure he said he has a tattoo based upon a Numan album cover.

17 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I've kept everything in the sleeves they came in as that would make my life easier in my record box that I carried to a gig. A lot of my stuff is in black sleeves but with a label on if the vinyl was a white label. The only time I would replace a sleeve is if it was badly damaged. Usually my prized vinyls would end up in a plastic wallet along with the original sleeve. I have a full set of vinyls from a specific label owned by Lee Butler, Les Calvert and Mike DiScala (BCD Records) and every single one is in a plastic wallet. Two of them are going for silly money on Discogs. This one in the pic below (orange disc) is going for £75:

IMG_20220429_113359_355.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 16/04/2022 at 05:34, TheBitch said:

Sat here with my cock in my hand and this post has genuinely made me laugh. 
Section, we’ve been on this forum for over 10 years together now, we’ve seen the highs and lows of the Ibiza thread, it was mainly lows, actually, it was all lows, we’ve been through at least 3break ups together,  I know it was at least 3 because they’re all mine, we’ve seen @RobbieOR’s rep status go from “cooler than Alonsos beard” to “red blob” we’ve almost been married to @melons, well that was me, we’ve been negged by the king of neggers himself, @Leeson, hang on Leeson hasn’t even got his own @

Fuck this site. 

Im that old I don’t even know what I meant to say tbh. 

Still can't believe it never worked out. Still love you though. 

Also, those brilliant messages in the reps and negs boxes, ooo they used to fill my evenings with delight! 

On 16/04/2022 at 14:51, RobbieOR said:

I was 16 then. Im 30 now. A scary thought.

Fuck off. 30? Can you speak clearly yet? 

On 01/05/2022 at 18:41, Section_31 said:

It's even got to the point now where there's a lad who I work with and also lives by me and I've been trying to subtly befriend him with comments like 'well if you're ever down that way for a pint give me a shout.'

But he seemingly only does things with his wife and dog.

Probably best out of it mate 

• Upvote 1