You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

54 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I found my 50th a big psychological challenge, really struggled. Now I’m close to 60 and I’m just happy for still being here. Seen a few friends fall by the wayside. Enjoy your day ! 

I was worried, but several hours in I’m hoping to be ok.  I had a few big changes in my 40’s having a kid, moving house and job but feeling good. 

Obviously I hope everyone has bookmarked this for when the wheels fall off and I’m back living at my mums, smashing straight 6’s against a bowling machine and claiming the stripper who despises me is actually my girlfriend.  

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I was worried, but several hours in I’m hoping to be ok.  I had a few big changes in my 40’s having a kid, moving house and job but feeling good. 

Obviously I hope everyone has bookmarked this for when the wheels fall off and I’m back living at my mums, smashing straight 6’s against a bowling machine and claiming the stripper who despises me is actually my girlfriend.  

Doesn't sound to bad to me.

2 hours ago, Elite said:

How quickly you put weight on.

I've always been able to eat loads and stay relatively lean but no chance anymore, a few weeks of over indulgence and I end up looking like Buddha.

Welcome to my world my friend, I was fucking born that way. I only have to look at a digestive and I'm getting proposals from Johnnie Sack.

• Upvote 5

15 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Being 50

Belated happy birthday. 

14 hours ago, Elite said:

How quickly you put weight on.

I've always been able to eat loads and stay relatively lean but no chance anymore, a few weeks of over indulgence and I end up looking like Buddha.

This is ruining my life. I’ve booked a summer holiday and I’m determined to fit into a few pairs of shorts I bought a couple of years ago that no longer button up. 

I’ve also bought a couple of pairs that have a bigger waist because I know my determination counts for fuck all. 

• Upvote 2

Had the oven cleaned yesterday. Young lad came round, I let him into the kitchen, offered him a brew, then left him to it. A little while later my missus sat at the bottom of the stairs chatting to him and he said he was 38. 

I’m almost 34. I was looking at him like he was just a kid and he’s got five years on me. I’ve had a hard life, man. He looked about 25. 

On 08/04/2022 at 18:58, stringvest said:

Used to love the Cokey me.  One of the best nights of my youth was when we beat Nottingham Forest 5-0 at Anfield, went straight from there to the cokey and two young ladies, knocked bandy by me old bon mots, took me home for some hot loving under a polyester bedsheet, putting me level with John Aldridge for the night.

Did you consider being in your 40's in 1988 your "youth", Stringy? 

On 08/04/2022 at 18:58, stringvest said:

Used to love the Cokey me.  One of the best nights of my youth was when we beat Nottingham Forest 5-0 at Anfield, went straight from there to the cokey and two young ladies, knocked bandy by me old bon mots, took me home for some hot loving under a polyester bedsheet, putting me level with John Aldridge for the night.

It was the Pankhurst sisters wasn't it?

9 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I used to mind cars on Fountains Road.  More lucrative, and you could let down all the tyres on the Everton supporters' cars

Did the same on Belmont Road. Once the game had kicked off you could go in to watch Grandstand and nip out with 10 minutes of the game left to pretend you had been there all the time.

• Like 1