You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The ‘suggested friends’ feature on Facebook. People from my year at school and even the year below have been popping up on there and they’re all bald and look like wrinkly old men. 

They probably see me and think the same, except for the bald part. 

Haha, same. I had a suggested friend of a girl who was a year below me in school, having a quick nose she looked way older than me (in my view),  had 7 kids and 5 grandkids, one of which is already in high-school. Unbelievable, I'm only 44!

• Upvote 1

My eldest son, who’s not long turned seventeen, has an eighteen year old ‘casual’ girlfriend.

I only receive second hand information as he and his mother are in the same division looks wise. 

He’s already wise enough to know that I have little of use to offer in terms of advice. What he hasn’t yet grasped is, that although we’ve yet to meet her, the wife already hates her and is likely scuppering the relationship before it starts. 

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The ‘suggested friends’ feature on Facebook. People from my year at school and even the year below have been popping up on there and they’re all bald and look like wrinkly old men. 

Had a first meet up for a good while of a group of friends ( 5 couples ) . I was delighted that 3 of my male mates had gone really fat and one's hair had almost totally disappeared within the lockdown period , whereas I am over a stone lighter and still as hirsute as ever. I know it makes me a bad person , but fuck it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I posted something similar earleir on the thread. Some bird I was proper in love with in college is on Facebook and has gone from looking like that bird from game of thrones to the absolute spit of Kim Johnson. 20 years will do that to you but it's fucking mental to think that that girl you were mad on is no longer 'that' girl. In fact I'd go as far as saying it's depressing as fuck. Not her fault like.

Missandie_Blue_Dress_Nathalie_Emmanuel.png

Kim Johnson.jpg

• Like 1

On 24/08/2021 at 17:08, manwiththestick said:

Haha, same. I had a suggested friend of a girl who was a year below me in school, having a quick nose she looked way older than me (in my view),  had 7 kids and 5 grandkids, one of which is already in high-school. Unbelievable, I'm only 44!

S

• Upvote 1

On 24/08/2021 at 17:37, Captain Willard said:

Somebody said to me last night, “do you remember 1980 ? , well 1980 was nearer to 1939 than it is to today”. That made me feel very old. 

I often think that when I was growing up in the 80s there would have still been loads of people around, bus drivers, bin men, just ordinary folk, who'd probably seen action in the war. It's mad to think about that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

I often think that when I was growing up in the 80s there would have still been loads of people around, bus drivers, bin men, just ordinary folk, who'd probably seen action in the war. It's mad to think about that.

When I first started going to the pub in 1978 and work in 1979, there were loads of fellas I met who had fought in the war, Army, Navy and RAF as well as some merchant seamen who were on the Atlantic convoys. 

Some cracking fellas. Some had a tale to tell, others never spoke about it and all probably long gone by now.

Like you said, just ordinary folk that had to do extraordinary things and thank God they did.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

When I was a kid, my next door neighbour was a lovely old fella painted in Grecian 2000, who could regale you with stories of kamikaze planes heading for his ship and the like. Not as a big deal, or dropped into conversation for kudos, but just if the topic arose and you asked.

Now we're left with generations who mention the war incessantly, invoke it for their own purposes, but had no skin in that game.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

When I was a kid, my next door neighbour was a lovely old fella painted in Grecian 2000, who could regale you with stories of kamikaze planes heading for his ship and the like. Not as a big deal, or dropped into conversation for kudos, but just if the topic arose and you asked.

Now we're left with generations who mention the war incessantly, invoke it for their own purposes, but had no skin in that game.

And when they spoke, you listened. Not because it was polite to, but because what they said was important. Those old boys went through hell and saw and did and experienced terrible things.

We were lucky that we knew these fellas first hand because we were able to learn from them. Our kids and Grandkids although we can try and relay to them it's not the same.

The respect just isn't there and that's a sad indictment of the times and society we live in.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

When I first started going to the pub in 1978 and work in 1979, there were loads of fellas I met who had fought in the war, Army, Navy and RAF as well as some merchant seamen who were on the Atlantic convoys. 

Some cracking fellas. Some had a tale to tell, others never spoke about it and all probably long gone by now.

Like you said, just ordinary folk that had to do extraordinary things and thank God they did.

My first head cashier was a RAF man who had flown Lancasters in the War and been used in the Dam Busters movie. He was a fantastic character and used to tell yarns about the film as if he was one of the main stars and called Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave 'Toddy' and 'Reddy' as if they were his best mates. He ruled the stationery cupboard with a rod of iron and would only issue a new pen if you produced your old one with the ink run out

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

When you agree with everything Larry David says.

Stop and chat? Fuck off.

Sing happy birthday 2 weeks late?. Fuck off

Shake a sneezy  hand? Fuck off. 

And all the rest.

I am Larry David 

That's not an age thing, I've been like that most of my life.

Someone who worked with me ages ago had said that I reminded them of Larry David, I'd thought it was a cheap dig because I'm bald and wear glasses. However, they assured me it was because of my general attitude towards the way life is. I hadn't seen Curb at all at that point. It wasn't until I actually watched it all about 3 years ago for the 1st time that I got why he'd said it. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

Someone who worked with me ages ago had said that I reminded them of Larry David, I'd thought it was a cheap dig because I'm bald and wear glasses. However, they assured me it was because of my general attitude towards the way life is. I hadn't seen Curb at all at that point. It wasn't until I actually watched it all about 3 years ago for the 1st time that I got why he'd said it. 

Nothing wrong with being Larry.

Embrace the Davids.

7 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

I don’t really know how I pictured you looking but it was definitely not bald with glasses. 

I’m shocked. 

5 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I don’t really know how I pictured you looking but it was definitely not bald with glasses. 

I’m shocked. 

If you imagine Brad Pitt, but with less hair and a pair of glasses. I look nothing like that.

Well, not unless he was involved in some kind of horrific accident as well as losing his hair and eyesight. 

• Upvote 1