You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

• 2 months later...

When you see a pic of someone you fancied the arse off years ago and now they look like someone's nan. Girl in college looked like Missandei from Game of Thrones. In tight 90s Levis this girl had a backside like CS Gas - it made you want to cry. 

Saw a pic of her on Facebook the other day and now she looks like Kim Johnson MP. I felt like the last Roman Legionary returning to the Eternal city after it's been sacked, the roads are empty, Caesar's bust is in the toilet and someone has drawn a giant cock on what's left of the Senate door. Passage of time be damned. 

• Upvote 5

The worst thing is you don't age in your mind. I feel like I did at 18 it's only when I see my reflection I'm like FUUUCK. I see a group of 25 year old fit birds come into a pub and I think "Hello" then it hits me I'm nearly 40.

I think we actually look older than we think, I see a contestant on Masterchef who I think is 10 years older than me then they say his age and he's 28. I hope he looks like shit and it's not my own delusion.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The worst thing is you don't age in your mind. I feel like I did at 18 it's only when I see my reflection I'm like FUUUCK. I see a group of 25 year old fit birds come into a pub and I think "Hello" then it hits me I'm nearly 40.

I think we actually look older than we think, I see a contestant on Masterchef who I think is 10 years older than me then they say his age and he's 28. I hope he looks like shit and it's not my own delusion.

Oh deffo, same with mates. I see my mates quite a lot and haven't noticed them age until I look at old holiday snaps or whatever. 

32 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Yep. During the interminable coronavirus lockdown house reorganisations we've had, I flicked through some old photo albums from when our eldest was born about 18 years ago. I could cry at the difference between then and now.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm 39 with no kids, I saw a mate and said how you doing how olds your lad now expecting him to be about 7, he was 22.

Yep same here with some of my mates' kids. When you've got no kids you don't know how to talk to people's kids either, even if they're adults. I'll be like 'so how is school?' and they're like 32. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I cant work out why the person I see in the mirror isn't the same fat bastard that appears in photos purporting to be me.

• Upvote 1

Went for a run last evening and going along a long road and I could see ahead waking towards on the pavement me a girl about mid 20's in what could be best described as dressed like she was on a night out in town, short tight fitting dress that showed off everything great about her, unreal legs. She was walking with what I assume was her boyfriend and I'm running towards thinking what a shame that I'm married and she's got a boyfriend, what could be etc.

She's probably not even noticed the 44 year old man 9k into a 12k run, running into the wind towards her all sweating and puffing but it will stay in my mind for a few days.

Oh, and he looked like a prick.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I find myself googling how old people were in certain films. I was delighted recently that, at 40, I'm five years younger than Denzel washington was in training day, but seven years older than John McClaine.

200.gif

3 hours ago, Elite said:

My subconscious still thinks footballers are older than me.

That's a mad one that, being older than the manager too, the fuck. 

I'm stuck watching 70s Now on telly, even the shite songs bring back memories, 72 school sounds at present, 0h Lord am I doomed?