You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

Getting excruciating pain in your knee and finding out you have osteoarthritis at the age of 45.

Not seeing any benefits to the aging process apart from wisdom.

oh yeah wisdom is great, finally knowing just how much of a fuck up you always were in your 20's. Then you convince yourself if you could go back to a teenager now you'd be the Wolf of wall Street.

• Upvote 1

When you stop doing the things that you know aren't worth doing, that's a real fucking eye opener. The other night I went for a bevvie, had a few and then the conversation which always comes up, so town... nah we'll just get off, no point staying out. Next thing I know, I'm sitting at home, SCENES.

If I go out to town it's in the afternoon for a bevvy and I'm on the train back just as the rabble are getting in with their loud music and shenanigans.

My 7 year old daughter is having a sleepover and I spent most of the night wishing they'd just go to their bed so I could get an early night. Even tried to induce a carb coma by feeding them too much pizza. Nope. I can still hear them kicking about in the next room.

Help.

Not a chance. Sleepovers are super exciting for kids, they'll stay awake all night.

I'm not exaggerating to say a few years back the idea of going home late afternoon after a few made me physically sick.

I've been living on wood street for 7 weeks up until last week and trust me the thought of having to stay in hearing the noise downstairs made me feel physically sick. Especially freshers week. That was a particular killer. Despite knowing that 10 years ago I'd have had 4 of them back in the flat in no time but now I'm an arl bastard and wouldn't stand a chance. Had 2 one night though.
  • Upvote 1

My 7 year old daughter is having a sleepover and I spent most of the night wishing they'd just go to their bed so I could get an early night. Even tried to induce a carb coma by feeding them too much pizza. Nope. I can still hear them kicking about in the next room.

Help.

You're doing it wrong, mate. If our 8 year old girl has a sleepover it's loads of blankets, pillows and sleeping bags on the living room floor. Set them up with a few DVD's and a big bowl of sweets each, give them a set bed time and you're in for a nice early night.

You're doing it wrong, mate. If our 8 year old girl has a sleepover it's loads of blankets, pillows and sleeping bags on the living room floor. Set them up with a few DVD's and a big bowl of sweets each, give them a set bed time and you're in for a nice early night.

Just make them do SAS style training as a fun game. They'll all be asleep by 9.

What is this sorcery?

Just say "Right girls, TV and lights off at 11 o'clock, I don't mind if you talk, giggle and whisper when you're lying down but I want you tucked in by 11."

They're 7/8, they think staying up until 11 is like pulling an all nighter. You get bonus points for going back downstairs if they've been quiet and telling them that you've changed your mind and because they've been so good they can switch it all off at 12 instead.

"MIDNIGHT!?!"

Just say "Right girls, TV and lights off at 11 o'clock, I don't mind if you talk, giggle and whisper when you're lying down but I want you tucked in by 11."

They're 7/8, they think staying up until 11 is like pulling an all nighter. You get bonus points for going back downstairs if they've been quiet and telling them that you've changed your mind and because they've been so good they can switch it all off at 12 instead.

"MIDNIGHT!?!"

Girls' sleepovers were always a breeze at ours compared to boys' ones...way too much testosterone, outdoing each other with sugar overload, someone always brought a scary film that had someone up in the middle of the night unable to sleep with fear and wanting to go home and not one of the others offering any kind of help. And then after finally get off, some time after 3 they'd be up again just after 8 to eat you out of house and home and leave your kitchen floor swimming in split milk and sticky sugar. I have no nostalgia for those days whatsoever

Girls' sleepovers were always a breeze at ours compared to boys' ones...way too much testosterone, outdoing each other with sugar overload, someone always brought a scary film that had someone up in the middle of the night unable to sleep with fear and wanting to go home and not one of the others offering any kind of help. And then after finally get off, some time after 3 they'd be up again just after 8 to eat you out of house and home and leave your kitchen floor swimming in split milk and sticky sugar. I have no nostalgia for those days whatsoever

Haha, yeah, I think it was for his 11th birthday, Callum had four friends over for a sleepover. Three of them didn't sleep at all. Lesson learned. He's only ever allowed one now.