You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

Got a huge pang of nostalgia the other day for crap old cars. You just don't see battered death-traps anymore. Everything is pretty sound and roadworthy, serviced by a proper garage etc. My old man riveted sheet metal onto the side of his Cortina estate when he notice there was grass growing out of a rust hole.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Got a huge pang of nostalgia the other day for crap old cars. You just don't see battered death-traps anymore. Everything is pretty sound and roadworthy, serviced by a proper garage etc. My old man riveted sheet metal onto the side of his Cortina estate when he notice there was grass growing out of a rust hole.

Oh so true. The days when you could drive any old wreck around have long gone. I had a MkII Cortina 1600GT (not the E, I wasn't that flash) and had a prang in it. For ages I was driving around in with a somewhat pointed chunk of the wing protruding. Anyway, got stopped by the bizzies on the M1 when driving home from the ex to be. Cop reads the riot act, sounding like Basil. 'If I see you driving around like this again I shall nick you!'.

Passed it's MOT the next day. You young whippersnappers don't know you're born!

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

My Dad,god bless him,simply painted over the rust on his Fiesta to get it through it's MOT. It passed and it was only about 5 years ago. I even drove that car for a while after he died. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Chicken wire and Isopon was my Dad's go to body repair. That was under the bonnet badges, front of the wings above the headlight and where the sill met the rear wheel arch. 

Notorious places on a mk2  Cortina.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tokyojoe said:

Oh so true. The days when you could drive any old wreck around have long gone. I had a MkII Cortina 1600GT (not the E, I wasn't that flash) and had a prang in it. For ages I was driving around in with a somewhat pointed chunk of the wing protruding. Anyway, got stopped by the bizzies on the M1 when driving home from the ex to be. Cop reads the riot act, sounding like Basil. 'If I see you driving around like this again I shall nick you!'.

Passed it's MOT the next day. You young whippersnappers don't know you're born!

That would be worth a few bob now. My Dad had a 1300 2 door. Basic as they come and a proper rot box and very underpowered, but it started first time every time. 

I always wanted a 1600E.

13 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Chicken wire and Isopon was my Dad's go to body repair. That was under the bonnet badges, front of the wings above the headlight and where the sill met the rear wheel arch. 

Notorious places on a mk2  Cortina.

Reminds me of why my dad told me to always take a magnet when checking out a car. Wonder whether kids these days get similar pearls of wisdom. 

3 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Reminds me of why my dad told me to always take a magnet when checking out a car. Wonder whether kids these days get similar pearls of wisdom. 

They don't seem to rot the same or need fettling like they used to.

My kids sometimes ask me if I know about this problem or that problem on their cars, but I'm fucked if I know these days.

34 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

They don't seem to rot the same or need fettling like they used to.

My kids sometimes ask me if I know about this problem or that problem on their cars, but I'm fucked if I know these days.

Yeah modern cars are functional, nothing more. I lease a lot and have probably driven about 20 or 30 different car models in the last few years and they're all the same inside, all sound the same and largely perform the same. The main things that separate them now are gimmicks like keless entry and other shite you don't really need, they're like smartphones in that respect, the technology has plateaued.

That being said, I'm not into cars so just love the fact they don't break down much any more. Cars were absolute pieces of shit for most of my younger years.

52 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah modern cars are functional, nothing more. I lease a lot and have probably driven about 20 or 30 different car models in the last few years and they're all the same inside, all sound the same and largely perform the same. The main things that separate them now are gimmicks like keless entry and other shite you don't really need, they're like smartphones in that respect, the technology has plateaued.

That being said, I'm not into cars so just love the fact they don't break down much any more. Cars were absolute pieces of shit for most of my younger years.

I've always loved old cars and was forever tinkering with them when I was younger.

I'm no mechanic but there was something very satisfying when I serviced them or managed to fix them myself, which are things that seem to have been engineered out of modern cars.

Luckily, safety has been engineered into them. Chalk and cheese in comparison.

4 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

If you imagine Brad Pitt, but with less hair and a pair of glasses. I look nothing like that.

Well, not unless he was involved in some kind of horrific accident as well as losing his hair and eyesight. 

Screenshot_20210828-001105_Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

My first thought on looking at buying anything these days is how much will it cost to own. A freind of mine just bought a huge house in Liverpool and my first thought was how much it will cost to heat, maintain, insure etc. Lovely house but I wouldn’t want it. 

Haha, I always say to my Mrs…

”Imagine the heating bill”

• Upvote 2

Gratuitous violence on television, films or described in books.

I know sometimes it can add something to the product but I find myself wanting to ‘just get through it’.

When it’s unnecessary, it makes me want to stop watching or reading.

I wasn’t always like this, used to enjoy a gouging out of an eyeball as much as the next man. No longer. 

I’m still perfectly ok with gratuitous sex, whatever the medium. 

5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Not caring that you're getting old. Looking at pictures of Creamfields and the like and thinking 'f*ck that'. 

Just been up to spend the weekend with my sisters and they were both constantly showing each other videos of it from Instagram and the likes. Did my fucking head in. I couldn’t wait to get home, put my pyjamas on and have a nice cup of tea in my giant dad mug. 

That said, I drove past there early on Sunday afternoon and saw loads of birds walking in wearing see through dresses and a few others just strutting around in bikinis. Fortunately for me, I was wearing sunglasses so I don’t think my kids spotted me staring at them all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2