You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

15 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Been there mate. Had about five in 2018/19 and it was the only time we saw most of the rest of the extended family.

Was at a funeral on my mums side a few years back organised a get together I’m the oldest of about 15, months notice, two turned up. Families.

16 hours ago, Elite said:

Makes me wince when I see young blokes digging up gardens and doing ground work, their discs will look like burst egg yolks in a few years.

Just had foundations dug for an extension at ours. The lad doing the ground work was an animal and didn’t stop all day. 

It would genuinely have took me about 4 or 5 weeks to do what he did. If I even got it finished at all due to a broken back, I’d have deffo got blisters on my hands too. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

Just had foundations dug for an extension at ours. The lad doing the ground work was an animal and didn’t stop all day. 

It would genuinely have took me about 4 or 5 weeks to do what he did. If I even got it finished at all due to a broken back, I’d have deffo got blisters on my hands too. 

Even when I think of digging I have to take two ibuprofen.

• Upvote 1

In my twenties  I had to spend an extended period of time in a hospital. At one stage I shared a room with someone who had just had his prostate reamed out. The nurses had to make  he could urinate okay and to help one of the nurses turned all the taps on. Why do that says I. Doesn't it make you want to go to the toilet says she. No says I laughing. Ever since, a running tap has made me want to have a piss.
Now having reached my  70s, I need to have a piss before I turn  a tap on or risk disaster.

• Upvote 5

27 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

In my twenties  I had to spend an extended period of time in a hospital. At one stage I shared a room with someone who had just had his prostate reamed out. The nurses had to make  he could urinate okay and to help one of the nurses turned all the taps on. Why do that says I. Doesn't it make you want to go to the toilet says she. No says I laughing. Ever since, a running tap has made me want to have a piss.
Now having reached my  70s, I need to have a piss before I turn  a tap on or risk disaster.

Try going for a beer - one pint in, four pints out!

On 09/07/2021 at 20:05, Elite said:

Doing the weights/sports/manual labour fucks you up massively later in life. I know fat bastards who would class walking to the vending machine as exercise that have zero aches and pains, due to hardly any wear and tear on their joints which is a bit of a paradox considering the strain of all that weight. 

stringy says hi!

I friend of mine who used to come along to the weekly jam session in my local turned up there again three weeks ago looking a bit peaky by all accounts.  Five days later he had a heart attack.  The day after, he had a stent put in, and the day after that he was back at the jam night.  I wouldn't mind, he looked as fit as a flea last time I saw him.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Fuckin A. I had a camera a while back, Japanese prisoner shit.

Some people obviously love it, no idea how as it's painful and not pleasurable at all, the GP obviously didn't hit my G-Spot.

I had a bird stick her finger up my hoop once, completely unrequested I'd like to add. Weirdly I felt neither pleasure nor discomfort, well physical discomfort. I felt a bit odd that she was fingerblasting me but as other more pleasurable activity was simultaneously being achieved I didn't protest. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I had a prostrate biopsy. The machine they use is basically like a huge dildo with a little knife inside it on the end of a long steel probe. They give you local anaesthetic but they can’t stop you seeing the fucking thing as they wheel you in. Haunts me to this day. 

Sounds like hell.

Got told at the hospital the other day I’m now at an advanced risk of bowel cancer due to my age/condition, so I’ll need a colonoscopy every 3 years.

2D865EAE-5012-43AA-9BAD-E60CF4D553E4.gif 

To be fair, those scopes are way preferable to a hospital enema, which are like having the nozzle from a jerry can of petrol rammed into you. 

I’ll consider myself grateful for small mercies I think.

3 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Got told at the hospital the other day I’m now at an advanced risk of bowel cancer due to my age/condition, so I’ll need a colonoscopy every 3 years.

2D865EAE-5012-43AA-9BAD-E60CF4D553E4.gif 

To be fair, those scopes are way preferable to a hospital enema, which are like having the nozzle from a jerry can of petrol rammed into you. 

I’ll consider myself grateful for small mercies I think.

The human body is badly designed.

• Upvote 1