You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

When you're driving and you spot an old guy wobbling on his bike and you say to your missus, "That poor old chap should take more care. He'll get clipped by a car the doddery old bugger." Only to pull alongside and realise it is your younger brother.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 16

16 minutes ago, Jennings said:

When you're driving and you spot an old guy wobbling on his bike and you say to your missus, "That poor old chap should take more care. He'll get clipped by a car the doddery old bugger." Only to pull alongside and realise it is your younger brother.

Hahahaha

On 20/06/2021 at 16:56, magicrat said:

I wish mate.   Too many fucking birthdays that's for sure.  Might even be giving Stringy a run for his money but I'm saying nothing .   

Harsh.  I’ve just had new batteries in my shopmobility chariot.  Im full of vim.

1 hour ago, littletedwest said:

Found out my old boss died on Wednesday. Apparently he went watching England at Wembley and collapsed with a heart attack on way home. He was only 40, decent bloke.

Scary that someone 12 months younger than me dying like that

Jesus, that's terrible.  He must have had some underlying health issues.  Despite going to watch England I mean.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Jesus, that's terrible.  He must have had some underlying health issues.  Despite going to watch England I mean.

Honestly don't think he did. I know he smoked and liked a beer. But he wasn't overweight, he had a picture of him and his mates watching match last week and he looked well

15 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Honestly don't think he did. I know he smoked and liked a beer. But he wasn't overweight, he had a picture of him and his mates watching match last week and he looked well

'He smoked' is pretty much everything when speaking about health problems,diagnosed or undiagnosed. It's a shame so many people still do given what we now know.

4 minutes ago, Chr15 said:

When you go for a haircut and you're asked "do you want to do your eyebrows as well?'

Happened today .....

I get ears and nose too. Cotton buds with wax up the nose, ripped out with a couple of dead daddy long legs on.

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The concept of aches and pains. Every day I've got some kind of ache in some far flung part of my body. Was a time I thought Ibuprofen was a planet in Babylon 5, sadly not any more.

Yep, I can go the gym and still lift decent weight. Then do my neck in sleeping funny 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The concept of aches and pains. Every day I've got some kind of ache in some far flung part of my body. Was a time I thought Ibuprofen was a planet in Babylon 5, sadly not any more.

Doing the weights/sports/manual labour fucks you up massively later in life. I know fat bastards who would class walking to the vending machine as exercise that have zero aches and pains, due to hardly any wear and tear on their joints which is a bit of a paradox considering the strain of all that weight. 

• Upvote 3

I went to this personal trainer for over 40s before all this kicked off and he was on about me doing weights and I said I didn't want to as I built muscle really easily and used to look like a grock.

'how old were you then?'

'about 25'

'yeah you'll be okay.'

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I went to this personal trainer for over 40s before all this kicked off and he was on about me doing weights and I said I didn't want to as I built muscle really easily and used to look like a grock.

'how old were you then?'

'about 25'

'yeah you'll be okay.'

Makes me wince when I see young blokes digging up gardens and doing ground work, their discs will look like burst egg yolks in a few years.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Elite said:

Makes me wince when I see young blokes digging up gardens and doing ground work, their discs will look like burst egg yolks in a few years.

Nephew has a business collecting waste on a wagon and helped him one day as he had a lad pull out at the the last minute. Him and his mate were doing all that macho stuff , lifting full wheelbarrows into skips and what have you. I nearly did my neck in I was shaking my head that much. He's six foot 3 and I told him he would be shorter than me in 10 years time when his back collapses.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Found out my old boss died on Wednesday. Apparently he went watching England at Wembley and collapsed with a heart attack on way home. He was only 40, decent bloke.

Scary that someone 12 months younger than me dying like that

Turns out I heard some Chinese whispers. He didn't go the match. He was taking his young lad out watch it, said he was getting ready. Took a while his family found him dead upstairs. I wasn't close to him, he was a decent fella like though. But it hits you when someone is that young

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Turns out I heard some Chinese whispers. He didn't go the match. He was taking his young lad out watch it, said he was getting ready. Took a while his family found him dead upstairs. I wasn't close to him, he was a decent fella like though. But it hits you when someone is that young

Awful for his family that.

Without wanting to be insensitive, sudden deaths are probably the best way to go as oppose to long-term illness where you gradually decline, are in pain and have the mental anguish of knowing your days are numbered. That said 40 is far too young, RIP.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Awful for his family that.

Without wanting to be insensitive, sudden deaths are probably the best way to go as oppose to long-term illness where you gradually decline, are in pain and have the mental anguish of knowing your days are numbered. That said 40 is far too young, RIP.

I don't know mate, maybe for us.  My dad had cancer and we got to say goodbye, he had memory issues so we knew but he kept forgetting. 

Just now, littletedwest said:

I don't know mate, maybe for us.  My dad had cancer and we got to say goodbye, he had memory issues so we knew but he kept forgetting. 

I've seen family members suffer through cancer, etc. Either way mate, you just hope the people left behind can find some comfort once they've grieved. Death's fucking horrible.

• Upvote 1