You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

Stumbling to the shops just as they're opening to buy booze, not because you're burning the candle at both ends, but becuase you forgot to pick some up the evening before and you need it to marinate the venison in for thirty six hours before cooking...

The look on the guys face was priceless as he thought one of his regular customers had started to spiral.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Stumbling to the shops just as they're opening to buy booze, not because you're burning the candle at both ends, but becuase you forgot to pick some up the evening before and you need it to marinate the venison in for thirty six hours before cooking...

The look on the guys face was priceless as he thought one of his regular customers had started to spiral.

We do some shopping for our daughter's restaurant , and I quite enjoy the sympathetic looks from the Tesco cashiers when I put cooking sherry and brandy on the checkout at 8am

• Upvote 1

On 07/04/2021 at 14:05, sir roger said:

I would say there was no fudge packing involved , but I don't want to be hounded off the forum.

I used to work with a bloke over here about 20 years ago called Fudge. He was a packer. 

Odd place. Half of Spiral Tribe were there as was Matthew Smith as in Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy. 

Started this thread when I was 28 and wasn't even old, now I'm 41 and am old. Back then I loved women and vodka and boats. And I loved women who drank vodka on boats. Now I have to get up twice a night to take a piss.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Only recently noticed that I’ve now got more grey hairs than brown hairs. My angst was then compounded when my 14 year old daughter asked if I had ever considered dying my hair. I told her that the greyness is hereditary, I felt better.

Get Control GX , £9 in Asda , amazing stuff.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Started this thread when I was 28 and wasn't even old, now I'm 41 and am old. Back then I loved women and vodka and boats. And I loved women who drank vodka on boats. Now I have to get up twice a night to take a piss.

Only twice? Lucky sod.

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

How do you get your wife to let you put it in?

Asking for a friend, of course. It's not MY wife who has insisted that the grey "makes you look really quite distinguished" and forbidden me from dyeing it. *harumph*

54 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

How do you get your wife to let you put it in?

Asking for a friend, of course. It's not MY wife who has insisted that the grey "makes you look really quite distinguished" and forbidden me from dyeing it. *harumph*

Opposite here , the wife said I looked like a ghost when I went white grey and I said I would give it a try , and all joking apart it looks really natural

( only coloured the top bit and left the sides grey ) and its a shampoo basically. No Giuliani vibe at all.

We’ve not long got rid of the eldest and the youngest daughters about to move into her new house and the Mrs is telling both of them that when we were there age everyone had kids and it’s about time one of them put their careers / futures / lives / happiness to one side and deliver the granddaughter she’s selfishly starting to pine for. 

The youngest daughters going mental that her bedrooms getting converted to a big bathroom soon. Wants us to keep it as it is in case she has an argument with her fella and wants to be able to carry a threat when she storms out of the new house. 

I want putting in a nice care home in Blundellsands when I’m older rather than the shit one on breck road they keep threatening me with so I’m on team kid. 

• Upvote 2

Pretty much not knowing who any famous person is now other than knowing the names of some young women because of this place.

If anyone was to ask me what Rita Ora, Kate Upton and Lily James are famous for the only answer I would be able to give is "for having a thread on the GF". 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

Pretty much not knowing who any famous person is now other than knowing the names of some young women because of this place.

If anyone was to ask me what Rita Ora, Kate Upton and Lily James are famous for the only answer I would be able to give is "for having a thread on the GF". 

This.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2021 at 19:33, sir roger said:

I got some from Amazon. It does work. Only trouble was we were in the car the other day and Her Indoors said 'have you had a blue rinse?'. Must be her eyesight.

• Upvote 2

On 05/05/2021 at 19:18, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Only recently noticed that I’ve now got more grey hairs than brown hairs. My angst was then compounded when my 14 year old daughter asked if I had ever considered dying my hair. I told her that the greyness is hereditary, I felt better.

I now look for a barber who doesn't use black capes, as the depressing sight of all that grey hair can be too much. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

I got some from Amazon. It does work. Only trouble was we were in the car the other day and Her Indoors said 'have you had a blue rinse?'. Must be her eyesight.

Alright Gladys - what you colouring your hair for?

It'll be filla next

• Like 1