You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

3 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Pah, I had my flu jab weeks ago!

I think I'm about 18 months in to an existential mid-life crisis. I find myself wondering what I'm doing with my life, whether I've made completely the wrong career choices and am I now stuck with it because it's so hard to reverse out of when you have a mortgage and shit. I find myself thinking about mortality too much, and worrying about being old and frail. I worry that we've probably missed our chance to have kids and might regret it. I hate so many things, mostly people. I feel utterly trapped by circumstance and the mechanisms of society. I worry that this all makes me sound like a whiny bastard.

* Sigh *

Getting older man, it sucks.

Nail. Head. On it.

6 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Pah, I had my flu jab weeks ago!

I think I'm about 18 months in to an existential mid-life crisis. I find myself wondering what I'm doing with my life, whether I've made completely the wrong career choices and am I now stuck with it because it's so hard to reverse out of when you have a mortgage and shit. I find myself thinking about mortality too much, and worrying about being old and frail. I worry that we've probably missed our chance to have kids and might regret it. I hate so many things, mostly people. I feel utterly trapped by circumstance and the mechanisms of society. I worry that this all makes me sound like a whiny bastard.

* Sigh *

Getting older man, it sucks.

life. Don't talk to me about life........

Hello Marvin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had to nip to a shop at the weekend to buy some equipment and got served by a fairly attractive lady in her mid / late 20's. Didn't hear her give me the price correctly as I hadn't realised my hearing aids were on a low setting and didn't originally put enough cash on the counter and ended up doing the embarrassed shuffle to get more money out.

As I moved away from the counter I saw her reflection in a mirror and thought that 30 years ago I would be pulling girls like this in clubs whereas now I can see her saying ' aw bless ' about me to the rest of the queue.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, sir roger said:

Had to nip to a shop at the weekend to buy some equipment and got served by a fairly attractive lady in her mid / late 20's. Didn't hear her give me the price correctly as I hadn't realised my hearing aids were on a low setting and didn't originally put enough cash on the counter and ended up doing the embarrassed shuffle to get more money out.

As I moved away from the counter I saw her reflection in a mirror and thought that 30 years ago I would be pulling girls like this in clubs whereas now I can see her saying ' aw bless ' about me to the rest of the queue.

That's so sad. 

Know what you mean though, it's fuckin' last isn't it. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, sir roger said:

Just go home, close your eyes, and fucking rip it off. That's what us uggos have had to do regardless of age.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

I know I've put this on before. But my mate was about 35, saw two girls about 20. He's looking at them and he thinks they're eyeing him up,  as he got past he heard one say "urghh that man was staring at you "

Heartbreaking, but also probably necessary to adjust his expectations back to reality.

• Upvote 1

I was shopping at the weekend and the lady beside me bought a cucumber. When I was 17 I worked in a fruit and veg shop and rightly assumed anyone that bought a cucumber was taking it home to ram it up their fanny. On Saturday, I think for the first time in 25 years I thought to myself that maybe she plans on cutting it up on putting it on a sandwich. That was a sad moment for me,  I preferred the idea of them ramming it up their fannies.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Total Longo said:

Got a call last week from the Dr's saying my over 50's NHS health check was due, i went to say "i think you have the wrong number love" before i remembered i'd actually been 50 for a month.  

Do they stick their finger up your arse with that one?

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Do they stick their finger up your arse with that one?

Genuine story, my best mate from the earlier story had an STD, he went to the clinic and I went with him. At the hospital (wigan) the std clinic is at the same place as the ear nose and throat clinic. He was about 20 at the time. He'd just bought a new coat for 200 quid. He was a filthy pig for ugly birds as he knew there'd be more chance for business. This wasn't his first visit.  Anyway they decided to check his prostate. He walked out the room then passed out. I ran over all I could hear was some old woman in a wigan accent saying "oooh he's collapsed" my mate came round and kept shouting "my coat, where's my coat "

He later said that the thing down your knob was fine but when they mauled near his arse he went weak legged

• Upvote 1