You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

I'm starting to like Wilkinson's. It's like a vintage Woolworths if the Soviets had won the Cold War. Blag pick and mix and fake Lego, a random solitary loaf of seeded bread that's been left in the plant food aisle, elderly staff who have worked there for 40 years and are almost certainly alcoholics, and cheap but practical solitons for modern living.

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'm starting to like Wilkinson's. It's like a vintage Woolworths if the Soviets had won the Cold War. Blag pick and mix and fake Lego, a random solitary loaf of seeded bread that's been left in the plant food aisle, elderly staff who have worked there for 40 years and are almost certainly alcoholics, and cheap but practical solitons for modern living.

Yeah I don't mind it. Taking inflation into account its not as cheap as it used to be.

18 minutes ago, stringvest said:

No student in Britain could survive without Wilkos

And Home and Bargain. In Tuebrook when it was student central the butchers did student packs ( mince ) and they lived in little shops that sold everything,Ford Hardware and Pic and Pay, both gone and QS still going strong.

3 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

I always thought they were all in their 60s.

Another sign of getting old i think everyone is older than me. Can be watching something, Google an actor and think he's obviously older than me. To find hes ten year younger 

Tom Baker was 40 when he played Dr Who.  That hurt. 

14 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Another sign of getting old i think everyone is older than me. Can be watching something, Google an actor and think he's obviously older than me. To find hes ten year younger 

Yeah, it fucks me up that Bruce Willis was 33 in Die Hard but was clearly supposed to be a 'mature' action hero even then. 

I take comfort from the fact Roger Moore was 45 when he became James Bond though and I'm 40. But then I remember I'm not Roger Moore. 

26 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Yeah, same thing happened with me and Kirk Douglas.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah, it fucks me up that Bruce Willis was 33 in Die Hard but was clearly supposed to be a 'mature' action hero even then. 

I take comfort from the fact Roger Moore was 45 when he became James Bond though and I'm 40. But then I remember I'm not Roger Moore. 

Bruce Willis was definitely the kid in school that had facial hair at 10. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

One of my bank colleagues used to love the place. Would phone his mobile and ask where he was and he would say he was at a customers premises and would then hear ' Bing Bong, Wilko special today on piz buin sun cream ' in the  background.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I had to buy this today...

2EFB50A8-593F-40E8-9148-767480781DFE.png

When we went to Greece years ago we had a big bottle of Soltan and whenever we put some on we'd do a Roman salute and say "SOLTAN!". None of us pulled on that holiday.

giphy (7).gif

• Upvote 1

Just now, littletedwest said:

Went for a bbq other day. My most vain mate is now going bald. He's so vain I couldnt tell him. Mad thing is his dads 70 with his (now old) hairstyle 

Talking about going bald. I think Amazon are trying to tell me something as they misspacked £25 worth a hair loss shampoo and conditioner with some inks I ordered last week. 

Might use it over the weekend 

289f33a6f04ec7e91edde40f3f86cd217fd1411f

Or 

FormalShockedKagu-size_restricted.gif