You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

2 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I've been relatively fit through work, Scaffolding, but started feeling it about 45 ish, struggled with weight though Cider didn't help, now I'm really feeling the effects of graft I did in all weathers through the years

This. 

37 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Going from 50 to 70 felt like 5 weeks

It seems like every other day the Sunday paper arrives, the weeks fly past  and strangely enough they still do despite the long days of Lockdown, I like to think of it as next month I'll have had one years experience 61 times, my 50th seemed like about 2 years ago. 

To be honest I don't like it one little bit. 

10 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I read something once that the brain perceives the passing of time  relative to the amount of time it’s experienced so the older you get the quicker it seems to pass. The principle of flow or something. 

It feels like common sense. When you are 10, a year represents 10 percent of everything you've ever know it's a long time, if youre 100 years old it's 1 percent and less significant. Days to an ancient tree must flicker by.

I've twinged something in my shoulder blade stretching in bed this morning. I feel like I've been shot.

Guest Pistonbroke
11 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Between the age of 20 and 40 fucking flew by for me, 2004 still sounds recent. The last 10 years especially have been a blur.

The turn of the Millennium is still fresh in my mind for some reason, 20 fucking years ago! One thing I have noticed as old age creeps in is that this Lockdown hasn't bothered me at all. 

18 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

The turn of the Millennium is still fresh in my mind for some reason, 20 fucking years ago! One thing I have noticed as old age creeps in is that this Lockdown hasn't bothered me at all. 

Exactly, it's mad 20 years gone by and likewise the Lockdown has bothered me as much as I thought would, in fact there's a few positives what bothers me is that most of my life was spent in the last century, the olden days. 

11 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I read something once that the brain perceives the passing of time  relative to the amount of time it’s experienced so the older you get the quicker it seems to pass. The principle of flow or something. 

It must be something like that, but did it explain why age is cruel.? 

I remember waiting for my 5th birthday and it felt like decades passed.

Now it feels like a couple years since I turned 30 when in fact I turn 40 this year. I've spent half my life on this forum! 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Remmie said:

Now it feels like a couple years since I turned 30 when in fact I turn 40 this year. I've spent half my life on this forum! 

A fine record. 

• 2 weeks later...

Upon hearing that her elderly grandfather had just passed away, Katie went straight to her grandparent's house to visit her 95 year-old grandmother and comfort her. When she asked how her grandfather had died, her grandmother replied, "He had a heart attack while we were making love on Sunday morning."

Horrified, Katie told her grandmother that 2 people nearly 100 years old having sex would surely be asking for trouble. "Oh no, my dear," replied granny. "Many years ago, realizing our advanced age, we figured out the best time to do it was when the church bells would start to ring. It was just the right rhythm. Nice and slow and even. Nothing too strenuous, simply in on the Ding and out on the Dong."

She paused to wipe away a tear, and continued, "He'd still be alive if the ice cream truck hadn't come along."

On 07/05/2020 at 08:47, Remmie said:

I remember when you were dressing like an edwardian dandy, and now you have kitted out your offspring in his 'gentleman shitter' romper suit, the circle is complete....

56 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I remember when you were dressing like an edwardian dandy, and now you have kitted out your offspring in his 'gentleman shitter' romper suit, the circle is complete....

IMG_20200519_180950.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Leaving your money in an ATM. I hardly use cash as it's much easier just paying for everything with my card. Went to the Bank today as I needed some cash, took my card out afterwards and left the bloody money in the slit. Got back to my car before realising my mistake. Ran back to the machine and lucky enough it was still in there. There was this bloke approaching the machine as I got there, and he said 'You lucky fucker.' I said it was mine anyway so he retorted with 'Let me know when you intend visiting the Bank again.' Made me chuckle.