You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

To think I remember the 90s as a golden era of music, most of that was utter shite and constantly on the radio and TV. Take fucking that and fucking Oasis completely inescapable plus all the other cheesey pop shite.

That's put me in a bad mood now

Another sign of getting old is nostalgia for me, I hear songs that I would have hated at the time but now like them.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Another sign of getting old is nostalgia for me, I hear songs that I would have hated at the time but now like them.

Yeah that's right, there's loads that'll transport you back, but you would never go home and actually put them on or ever did. I'm drowning in nostalgia lately and it's doing me head in so thinking of immersing myself in Thomas Wyatts book on melancholy, of which he devoted his life to, to cheer me up. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

90's British music was superb. 

Oasis were superb (I know a lot on here can't stand them but so what)

The Verve

Blur

Lightning Seeds

Cast

Ocean Colour Scene

Stereophonics

Manic Street Preachers

Suede

Yeah it was and I still think so, was just astounded by the proliferation of absolute turd that I forgot about. Apart from Oasis I liked all those bands (a tad indifferent on Suede)

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The vast majority of everything is shite of any era. Music, film, tv, football teams, art, theories, design, fashion, comedy, people, politics, dance, games and so on and so forth. Fortunately we get to pick our own likes. I feel like I'm bored of everything.

Ha that's true that. Rose tinted specs, for every Ghostbusters and Back to the Future there were a thousand shite films.

Was thinking a while back though I reckon in terms of world peace and shit surely the 90s was as good as it was ever gonna get. No cold war and no war on terror, Clinton and Blair in office. Probably the first time since the early 30s the world wasn't living under a shadow.

34 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Ha that's true that. Rose tinted specs, for every Ghostbusters and Back to the Future there were a thousand shite films.

Was thinking a while back though I reckon in terms of world peace and shit surely the 90s was as good as it was ever gonna get. No cold war and no war on terror, Clinton and Blair in office. Probably the first time since the early 30s the world wasn't living under a shadow.

Late 90s were great in retrospect, even the sopranos started then

Probably more a case of signs you're a tiny bit more mature than you used to be rather than things that make you realise you're getting older.

One of the students on my uni course is Korean and super cute, I was helping her out with some course work related stuff earlier via whatsapp and she said messaged "I've been searching for shaft" and I managed to stop myself from immediately replying "Well you've come to the right place".

I'm almost like a real grown up.

• Upvote 3

Just become a Grandad for the first time today when my daughter gave birth to a bouncing 9lb 5 ounce baby girl today. I should feel old but it has given me a Cocoon feeling of feeling younger than I should. Will probably be run ragged in a year or so and feel twice as old!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

16 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Just become a Grandad for the first time today when my daughter gave birth to a bouncing 9lb 5 ounce baby girl today. I should feel old but it has given me a Cocoon feeling of feeling younger than I should. Will probably be run ragged in a year or so and feel twice as old!

Nice one, though you're probably right about being run ragged later on so get some exercise and preparation in. 

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Congratulations, mate. I had you pegged as a great-grandad so you’re already younger in my book. 

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

How old are you mate? I'm 39 Mrs is older by ten year. She had her first kid at 17. He is with a girl who had a baby at 14 ( not by him) so I now have a 12 year old who calls me grandad which gets some looks. Just to emphasise we aren't from shameless,stepson and his Mrs run their own recruitment business so we aren't benefit scroungers.

5 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

How old are you mate? I'm 39 Mrs is older by ten year. She had her first kid at 17. He is with a girl who had a baby at 14 ( not by him) so I now have a 12 year old who calls me grandad which gets some looks. Just to emphasise we aren't from shameless,stepson and his Mrs run their own recruitment business so we aren't benefit scroungers.

I had a mate like that, had a daughter at 17 who then went on to have a kid at 18. So he was a grandad at 35. If the trend continues he could feasibly be a great great great grandad in his lifetime.

12 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

I had a mate like that, had a daughter at 17 who then went on to have a kid at 18. So he was a grandad at 35. If the trend continues he could feasibly be a great great great grandad in his lifetime.

I went to school with a girl that was a granny at 29! 

Go catholic schools. 

3 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Fucking hell, not one but in all likelihood two instances of underage sex in that story.

I've heard the Bristol region is ho heaven though.

We ended up having a channel 4 documentary on a 15 year old girl in my year who hid she was pregnant from her parents until the day she gave birth.