You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

9 hours ago, sir roger said:

Yes , if you get the right chips, the right (small) amount of oil and the right timing they are gorgeous.

The chunky triple-cooked chips from the Tesco Finest range were probably the nicest things I had ever eaten when done in the air-fryer.

If they are triple cooked that will have been in oil and kinda defeating the purpose of the air-fryer

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Can’t see me being a Grandad any time soon and that’s fine.

I will be an old Grandad who cannot be bothered playing with the kids.

You and me both, Verbal.

I have zero interest in becoming a grandparent ‘any time soon’ and at this moment it doesn’t look like either of my kids have any plans in that department and long may that continue 

3 minutes ago, Champ said:

You and me both, Verbal.

I have zero interest in becoming a grandparent ‘any time soon’ and at this moment it doesn’t look like either of my kids have any plans in that department and long may that continue 

I’m the eldest grandchild on my mums side, the next down was a grandma at forty.

I know.

27 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I miss them being little, my mum does too, hopefully for her she may see a great grandchild.

I get very down thinking about them back when they were little as it was the happiest time of my life,very busy but happy. I am hoping for a Grandchild soon as my daughter gets married in a couple of months and I'd love to relive a few of those times. With the added benefits of being a young-ish Grandad and being able to give them back now and again!

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I’m the eldest grandchild on my mums side, the next down was a grandma at forty.

I know.

My Mum is the youngest of 9 kids(only her and a sister left) so I have a good few cousins in their sixties on that side of the family while I have some cousins still in their thirties on my Dad's side. My kids have a 7 year old cousin on my side and that gap is as big as the gap between me and my kids. Strange spread of ages within the family.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Birmingham was brought to a standstill on Saturday, with motorists abandoning cars and the city gridlocked for hours after thousands of teenagers flooded the city centre to see a 19-year-old YouTuber make a 30-second public appearance at a cosmetics store.

fuck 

24 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Birmingham was brought to a standstill on Saturday, with motorists abandoning cars and the city gridlocked for hours after thousands of teenagers flooded the city centre to see a 19-year-old YouTuber make a 30-second public appearance at a cosmetics store.

fuck 

Ha. I came here to say this. Some bloke who wears make up brings Birmingham to a standstill.

I'm an old, old man

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

This generation is fucked but I imagine our elders thought that about us.

True. 

This generation is loads better than mine in a lot of ways, much more open minded and accepting of each other, less cunty. My age group found it genuinely fun to stand in a pub that stank of piss and drink Carling. 

That being said, I wouldn't want to have grown up with the level of tech they do and I'm glad I had the chance to do things like 'play out' when I was a kid, which these lot don't. First generation probably in human history not to do so, not to have to make their own fun or live with the concept of boredom, go out and make friends and talk to people they don't know. Let's see how that pans out! 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

True. 

This generation is loads better than mine in a lot of ways, much more open minded and accepting of each other, less cunty. My age group found it genuinely fun to stand in a pub that stank of piss and drink Carling. 

That being said, I wouldn't want to have grown up with the level of tech they do and I'm glad I had the chance to do things like 'play out' when I was a kid, which these lot don't. First generation probably in human history not to do so, not to have to make their own fun or live with the concept of boredom, go out and make friends and talk to people they don't know. Let's see how that pans out! 

Drinking Carlsberg (fosters in my case) in pubs that stunk of piss were some of the best days of my life. 

• Upvote 3