You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

37 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Reminiscing with mates about big nights out in the past and it making me shudder. The thought of staying out until 7am and doing some class A's absolutely horrifies me now.

Was watching that Simon Pegg film World's End last night and they pull that feeling off that I get sometimes of 'nights out will never be as good as that again.' No real responsibilities, when you go out you know everyone, there's always a bird you're keeping your eyes out for, places were busier then too. Also some of the daft shit seemed funnier, when we were bladdered we used to steel for sale signs and put them in a mate's front garden. Our record was 24.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Reminiscing with mates about big nights out in the past and it making me shudder. The thought of staying out until 7am and doing some class A's absolutely horrifies me now.

I’m just glad the shit that me and my mates got up to wasn’t videoed on a mobile phone and posted all over social media like the modern generation do. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I’m just glad the shit that me and my mates got up to wasn’t videoed on a mobile phone and posted all over social media like the modern generation do. 

Quite. I'd almost certainly be in prison.

51 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I have mates who still do it despite being married with kids. Madness. 

Nowadays when it gets to 11.30pm I start twitching in case I'm going to miss out on my sleep. 

Cup of tea > Gram of beak.

50 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Was watching that Simon Pegg film World's End last night and they pull that feeling off that I get sometimes of 'nights out will never be as good as that again.' No real responsibilities, when you go out you know everyone, there's always a bird you're keeping your eyes out for, places were busier then too. Also some of the daft shit seemed funnier, when we were bladdered we used to steel for sale signs and put them in a mate's front garden. Our record was 24.

Everyone was single or, at least, in a relationship that didn't really matter. The idea of going out with the intention of getting pretty drunk, all with girlfriends just seems like a complete waste of time. Properly British (or at least Northern European) thing this. Probably part of the reason we have so many fights on nights out in the UK. Nights out were primitive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Section_31 said:

My favourite joint purchase of the last year is a new non stick frying pan. The eggs just slip slide around in it. It's quite beautiful to behold.

Now that is sad.

When you get over the eggs sliding around in your non-stick frying pan, might I suggest you acquire a totally different beast: a pressure cooker?  Cauliflower never tasted so good.  Plus it cooks at the same time as carrots underneath it.  Now that is a beautiful thing.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, razor said:

Now that is sad.

When you get over the eggs sliding around in your non-stick frying pan, might I suggest you acquire a totally different beast: a pressure cooker?  Cauliflower never tasted so good.  Plus it cooks at the same time as carrots underneath it.  Now that is a beautiful thing.

I'm thinking an air fryer next. I'm told they make delicious yet healthy chips.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I'm thinking an air fryer next. I'm told they make delicious yet healthy chips.

Yes , if you get the right chips, the right (small) amount of oil and the right timing they are gorgeous.

The chunky triple-cooked chips from the Tesco Finest range were probably the nicest things I had ever eaten when done in the air-fryer.

• Upvote 1