You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top Ten Conspiracy Theories

Plewggs

• 2 months later...

A noteworthy death recently for fellow conspiracy nerds. I never knew much about this guy but remember being at his site a couple of times in recent years, might've been related to him opposing some US activity in the middle east or Trump related. Anyway he was well into conspiracy theories and thought this was an interesting read, even if he was also racist and batshit crazy with some of his views. I'm not saying I liked the guy, just think his death was worth noting here and thought the craziness of his life was worth reading about.

Lyndon LaRouche, Cult Figure Who Ran for President 8 Times, Dies at 96

The Utterly Bizarre Life of Lyndon LaRouche

edit - this is from his wiki page :

University of Notre Dame political philosophers Catherine Zuckert and Michael Zuckert write about LaRouche that "It must be nearly unique in American politics that a presidential candidate ... makes the interpretation of Plato a major issue in his campaign."

According to George Johnson, LaRouche sees history as a battle between Platonists, who believe in absolute truth, and Aristotelians, who rely on empirical data. Johnson characterizes LaRouche's views as follows: the Platonists include figures such as Beethoven, Mozart, Shakespeare, Leonardo da Vinci, and Leibniz. He believes that many of the world's ills result from the dominance of Aristotelianism as embraced by the empirical philosophers (such as Hobbes, Locke, Berkeley, and Hume), leading to a culture that favors the empirical over the metaphysical, embraces moral relativism, and seeks to keep the general population uninformed. Industry, technology, and classical music should be used to enlighten the world, LaRouche argues, whereas the Aristotelians use psychotherapy, drugs, rock music, jazz, environmentalism, and quantum theory to bring about a new dark age in which the world will be ruled by the oligarchs. Left and right are false distinctions for LaRouche; what matters is the Platonic versus Aristotelian outlook, a position that has led him to form relationships with groups as disparate as farmers, nuclear engineers, Black Muslims, Teamsters, and pro-life advocates.

In Architects of Fear (1983), Johnson compares LaRouche's view to an Illuminati conspiracy theory; Johnson writes that after he wrote about LaRouche in The New York Times, LaRouche's followers denounced him as part of a conspiracy of elitists that began in ancient Egypt. However, according to LaRouche, Aristotelians are not necessarily in communication or coordination with one another: "From their standpoint, [they] are proceeding by instinct," LaRouche has said. "If you're asking how their policy is developed—if there is an inside group sitting down and making plans—no, it doesn't work that way ... History doesn't function quite that consciously."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_LaRouche#History_as_a_struggle_between_Platonism_and_Aristotelianism

Guardian's gonna Guardian.

Stop the online conspiracy theorists before they break democracy

Cannibals, aliens and clandestine lizard overlords: thanks to algorithms, such ideas threaten the future of Europe

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/18/online-conspiracy-theorists-democracy

From the article :

A recent study showed that a stunning 60% of Brits believe in at least one conspiracy theory.

Good. There has been, is, and will still be, plenty of conspiracies going on in the world.

The ideas that a cabal of global elites run the world

Awww, I wonder why so many think that given the current climate?

Article was written by "Julia Ebner, an Austrian journalist, a researcher at the London-based Institute for Strategic Dialogue". Ah, another think tank.

This one was created by someone that wikipedia has this for on his page :

He was a staunch supporter of Israel and was described as an "adamantine Zionist".

Sounds great. Hail the aliens, lizard overlords, and....algorithms. And free speech.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Back on the conspiracy train, mate?

I'll always have some interest in the subject I think, but don't look around for anything conspiracy related anywhere near like I used to. The last two posts are just from what I've seen when looking around on NYT and The Guardian. I think blanket calls to "stop online conspiracy theorists" are completely wrong though and really dangerous for free speech, which is what writers of articles like the last I quoted from don't seem to care that much about.

And without conspiracy theories we'd have never had my fave ever tv series, The X-Files. Fuck that.

22 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

There’s very little chance anybody will try to stop conspiracy theorists. 

Agreed, was mainly taking the piss out of the article too and amazed at it. I can understand them focusing on stuff that's openly anti-Semitic, etc, but thought some of the stuff listed there was comical really. Also think there can be a danger though when we have people from think tanks writing about trying to censor stuff so it can be a bit concerning at the same time.

28 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Agreed, was mainly taking the piss out of the article too and amazed at it. I can understand them focusing on stuff that's openly anti-Semitic, etc, but thought some of the stuff listed there was comical really. Also think there can be a danger though when we have people from think tanks writing about trying to censor stuff so it can be a bit concerning at the same time.

Yeah, but it won’t fly. They have as much right to write bullshit as everyone else. You know my aversion to conspiracy theories in general, but the right to freely express these ideas is sacred. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

I seem to remember HM (or NV as was) posting an excellent video from YouTube dealing with the science behind the collapse of the buildings in 9/11. I'm not sure if he still knows where to find it.

If I recall correctly RP or maybe Spy

Bee posted a video of someone detailing how it was a big conspiracy and NV replied by posting a video by the same person talking about how they were going to create a video talking about conspiracies as it would be so easy getting gullible people to buy it. 

It was glorious when it happened but I’ve had a quick look through and I can’t find it.

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

If I recall correctly RP or maybe Spy

Bee posted a video of someone detailing how it was a big conspiracy and NV replied by posting a video by the same person talking about how they were going to create a video talking about conspiracies as it would be so easy getting gullible people to buy it. 

It was glorious when it happened but I’ve had a quick look through and I can’t find it.

Yeah. That was a highlight. Honestly, I just haven’t got the drive to rip people anymore. The Guest posted something in the political thread the other day that I could have just gone balls deep in, but I shrugged it off because, if I’ve learned something from TLW... it doesn’t make a shit worth of difference. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Where has Spy Bee gone? Haven't seen him round these parts in a while? 

He is around I think? I regret going so hard on him with this thread. He’s a decent enough guy and I shouldn’t have been quite as rude as I was. I don’t regret ripping some of the absolute wank on this thread though. 

• Upvote 1

Watched this earlier, found it fucking exhausting to be honest because of the way Jones rants. Hardly ever stays on topic and it was kind of like information overload. Good to see that Rogan has allowed him to speak on the show though because I don't believe he should've been deplatformed.

I think Jones seems more mentally disturbed than someone that should be classed as a hate figure and silenced. And I don't think these tech/social media companies should be allowed to decide who is and isn't allowed to speak when the reasons given/rules for banning seem to be so badly defined at times. It's not hard to just not watch/listen to someone instead of censoring. Rogan brings this subject up several times, as he did when speaking with Tim Pool recently. The whole thing had so many conspiracy theories discussed that it was insane but probably would've been better if way shorter and more focused. Thought it was crazily funny at times though.

17 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Personally, I don't think it's unreasonable to restrict the platforms of anyone verbally attacking - and encouraging the harassment of - the families of murdered children.

Agree with that, not sure if that was the case here though. In fact it doesn't seem clear what he was actually banned for from what I've seen. If he was actually abusing/harassing people though fair enough.