You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top Ten Conspiracy Theories

Plewggs

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

The more people believe in conspiracy theories, the worse they perform on critical thinking tests, a new study has confirmed.

Maybe not so surprising, could be good evidence for letting go of believing so much and instead being more open minded.

On 24/09/2021 at 04:27, Red Phoenix said:

Well mass medicating the population without consent is kind of fascist if you ask me. Not that democratic really.

This is an extract on fluoridation from the history department of Ohio State Univerisity, it's written by a professor of history and environmental studies, so maybe just another mad tinfoil, but maybe not too :

https://origins.osu.edu/article/toxic-treatment-fluorides-transformation-industrial-waste-public-health-miracle/page/0/0

You think mass medicating the population without consent is Fascist?

Was creating clean running water in houses fascism?

Was the banning of chalk in flour fascism? 

Pasteurization fascist? 

Or should every country have had a referendum on each? 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Razoray said:

Pasteurization fascist? 

How are those things analogous to mass medication without consent?

4 hours ago, Razoray said:

Pasteurization fascist? 

Toxic waste being shoved in our water supply probably isn't that similar to the three things you listed there. Or maybe I have it wrong and the Tories are going to use a nice, clean source of fluoride for us plebs? Even if they did it shouldn't be shoved in our water without consent and fluoride for teeth is safer being applied topically.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Did you consent to the use of any of the other chemicals in your water?

Out of interest what did you to eat today?

You can put it any way you want but I'm not going to agree with toxic waste going in our water. And if you're planning to lead to fluoride already being in some of my food then you're making my argument more valid, it's increased exposure.

14 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Which ones?

Chlorine?

the amounts are negligible (between 0.5mg/l and 1mg/l I think) and the UK has really low levels compared to elsewhere but people who worry about those kinds of things tend not to care about amounts only that it's there in the first place.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Chlorine?

the amounts are negligible (between 0.5mg/l and 1mg/l I think) and the UK has really low levels compared to elsewhere but people who worry about those kinds of things tend not to care about amounts only that it's there in the first place.

I know some chlorine bubbles out of the water. But in any case I'd argue there's a big difference between treating water to clean it and make it safe to use, and adding substances to it for medicinal purposes.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I know some chlorine bubbles out of the water. But in any case I'd argue there's a big difference between treating water to clean it and make it safe to use, and adding substances to it for medicinal purposes.

One of the links on here mentioned areas where the naturally occurring levels of fluoride are about as high as those being added elsewhere. Is that OK, or should it be getting removed?

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

One of the links on here mentioned areas where the naturally occurring levels of fluoride are about as high as those being added elsewhere. Is that OK, or should it be getting removed?

My personal preference would be that it wasn't there. Having said that, it must be noted that natural fluorides (some sort of calcium salt, I would presume) and HFS are very different substances.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

Toxic waste being shoved in our water supply probably isn't that similar to the three things you listed there. Or maybe I have it wrong and the Tories are going to use a nice, clean source of fluoride for us plebs? Even if they did it shouldn't be shoved in our water without consent and fluoride for teeth is safer being applied topically.

Water kills thousands every year all over the world! Ban it, ban it now!!!

Plus, they are using waste products from living creatures to ‘fertilise’ or food.  Literally putting shit, human and animal shit, on our fucking food.  Come on !   

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Wasn't thinking about fluoride at all, just wondered if you extend this level of care to everything you eat/drink.

I don't eat perfectly at all, nobody does I guess. I try to eat heathily more often than I used to though.

28 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Water kills thousands every year all over the world! Ban it, ban it now!!!

Plus, they are using waste products from living creatures to ‘fertilise’ or food.  Literally putting shit, human and animal shit, on our fucking food.  Come on !   

The argument that because shit fertilises our food we should add toxic shit to our water isn't something I'm into really.

From the gov page on this :

Role of fluoride in improving dental health

Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral found in water and some foods. The amount of naturally occurring fluoride in water varies across the UK due to geological differences.

Water fluoridation schemes involve adding fluoride to community drinking water supplies in areas of low natural fluoride, increasing the level to that known to reduce tooth decay.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/water-fluoridation-statement-from-the-uk-chief-medical-officers/statement-on-water-fluoridation-from-the-uk-chief-medical-officers

So they start by talking about how "natural" fluoride is but unless I missed it they don't tell us where they're getting the fluoride to put in the water. So if it's like other systems where it's toxic sourced then that's just flat out deception. They give the impression that our water will be getting the natural version, it's the usual Tory bullshit and if anyone can find a source of where this fluoride is coming from I'd really like to see it. I'm sure the public would too if it's what I think it is.

You'll find a lot of people supporting this, "experts", medical people etc, but how many of them mention the source? I've not seen a single one of them mention it.

And look at how many times they talk about natural fluoride in the quote but they don't add natural to where they talk about the fluoride they add to the water, it's just "fluoride" there. That wording isn't by accident I don't think.

14 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't eat perfectly at all, nobody does I guess. I try to eat heathily more often than I used to though.

The argument that because shit fertilises our food we should add toxic shit to our water isn't something I'm into really.

Shit is toxic.  But as part of the process it’s beneficial.  

It must be shit being this scared of everything?  Maybe that’s your answer. 

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Shit is toxic.  But as part of the process it’s beneficial.  

It must be shit being this scared of everything?  Maybe that’s your answer. 

Wherever shit is toxic and there's a better alternative it's probably wise to get rid of the toxic where possible. For teeth fluoride can be added topically, it doesn't have to be what everyone has in their water all the time (except when the government orders it to be added to water without consent.) And that's even if it's natural fluoride, the toxic stuff is worse.

The "there's shit in loads of stuff so let's add another source to our drinking water" argument is amazing really.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You know fluorosilicic acid isn't very nice, right? It's perfectly reasonable to think that it's pretty scary.

Ethanoic acid can be very unpleasant but we don't tend to be scared of it in the concentration we typically use. 

Is it the method of fluoridating water that some people have a problem with rather than the actual fluoridation (we have had community water fluoridation in the UK since 1964 and at present 5.8 million people have fluoridated tap water)?

Source: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/fluoride/