You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guardian Blog: Steve Gerrards "limited technical ability" and other crap.

Plewggs

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Frank's defence, he's leagues ahead of virtually every midfielder.

I get so fucking bored with all this "game intelligence/ tactical brain/ control the game/ blah blah blah" nonsense that blerts constantly chuck Gerrard's way.

Unfortunately Gerrard also gets bored with it, which is why he has never developed it & is a massive risk as a CM in 4-4-2 against decent opponents (see Eng, 1st half in Istanbul)

Which is a pity as it is surely an easier thing to be coached than all the natural skill, drive & physicality he does possess.

What that means is that he cant play CM in an orthodox 4-4-2... Luckliy enough Rafa & not Paul Merson is our manager though

Gerrard should play a little deeper as he did when he was younger. Would love him to be a true box-to-box midfielder. He's got the energy and ability to do it, but he spends too much time up the field. Not a major problem for us since he's so effective in an attacking position.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

I can't be arsed with this.

Carra's book tells that when the Eng players 1st met Rafa in Lisbon he turned to Gerrard & said " You run about too much"

He had been brilliant in dragging a poor side into the CL doing that but would never develop into what he could be unless he learnt when to run & when to hold.

Unfortuantely he never really has done & therefore is a liability as an orthodox CM in 4-4-2 as he will be dragged into fire-fighting in wrong areas & then exposed (see Kaka)

Hence why he has been at his best for us as a floating RM in 4-4-2 or the AM behind Torres in a 4-2-3-1 or in the 2nd half in Istanbul with Didi/Xabi (who both have massive game intelligence but not his skills) being his brain/shield

I think Kaka's and Milan's attacking freedom in that first half came about more because of the absence of Hamann and the inclusion of Kewell. I'm not blaming Kewell, I just think Hamann would have been a safer bet with the likes of Kaka to deal with.

Lets get things straight, Gerrard started his career off as a defensive minded centre midfielder. It was his sheer talent and goal scoring ability combined with how shit we were five years ago that changed him into the attack minded midfielder we see today.

I forget what I was getting at now but my point stands!

That was written by Zoe Ball and I claim my $5.

Rooney 'England's one world class attacking talent' hasn't been a force in the game since he was 18 - FACT.

Lumping Gerrard in with Lampard, the world game's biggest one-trick pony is a fucking joke, as is making out he's got limited technical ability, a complete joke.

Sounds like something a nouveau footy fan might write to try and make it sounds like he knows something, based on conversations he's overheard two years ago in the winebar.

Gerrard's best position may not be in an orthodox 4-4-2 central midfield role, but to suggest he is a liability is just fucking ludicrous!

That may be too strong a word as he can always compensate in other areas but he is a defensive liability playing there against the top teams (which means 6 games a year for us in the PL, 2 or 4 in CL group stages & then all in the knock-out & any Eng game at major finals)

Rooney 'England's one world class attacking talent' hasn't been a force in the game since he was 18 - FACT.

He hasn't lived up to his early promise for England but I think Rooney has been very good for the Mancs and is playing really well under Capello. Most of the good play goes through Rooney.

He hasn't lived up to his early promise for England but I think Rooney has been very good for the Mancs and is playing really well under Capello. Most of the good play goes through Rooney.

He's worse in front of goal than Andy Cole though, didn't he go for about a year without a CL goal? He's a great player like, but making out he should be the fulcrum of the England side and is 'criminally underused' is a load of bollocks. Joe Cole or Lampard are more likely to score for England than this so-called striker, so is Owen, even though he's a cripple, and that says it all.

(Kazakhstan not included, a side which a Catholic Bishops' select XI could probably stuff)

That may be too strong a word as he can always compensate in other areas but he is a defensive liability playing there against the top teams (which means 6 games a year for us in the PL, 2 or 4 in CL group stages & then all in the knock-out & any Eng game at major finals)

You're still incorrect. Gerrard isn't a liability in any position/role that he has played in for Liverpool or England.

There's loads of big games where he's played centrally and been awesome, both defensively and offensively.

This, 'Gerrard lacks discipline in centre midfield' is a total myth.

A similar thing could have been levelled at Paul Scholes when he played with Keane in a 442 and to be fair, that was the best midfield two in the game at the time.

Gerrard has the ability to play centre midfield in a 442 he just needs the right partner. This season whenever he has played the role he has looked brilliant for us

You're still incorrect. Gerrard isn't a liability in any position/role that he has played in for Liverpool or England.

There's loads of big games where he's played centrally and been awesome, both defensively and offensively.

This, 'Gerrard lacks discipline in centre midfield' is a total myth.

He is a defensive liability against the very best. Overall Liability is too strong given what else he can do.

He is a great player.

His best 2 seasons for us were not orthodox CM though.

& against really quality opposition (it doesnt matter if it wanders off against shite as they cant exploit it ) I cant think of many great pure CM performances (if you can, go on..) but I can think of many when he was liberated further up/wide the pitch.

Havent read the entire thread coz the whole england thing really pisses me off, so apologies if its been said but Paul Tompkins lets rip on this on the offal, and nails my feelings. They were on about it on the paper review on SNN too, the fat one with the glasses was talkin his usual shit - fuckin hate that guy. We know how good Stevie is! FUCK ENGLAND!

And some fans wonder why we dont supoort the national team :no

He's worse in front of goal than Andy Cole though, didn't he go for about a year without a CL goal? He's a great player like, but making out he should be the fulcrum of the England side and is 'criminally underused' is a load of bollocks. Joe Cole or Lampard are more likely to score for England than this so-called striker, so is Owen, even though he's a cripple, and that says it all.

(Kazakhstan not included, a side which a Catholic Bishops' select XI could probably stuff)

I don't think he's criminally underused, that is bollocks. I do think that he represents England's best chance of landing a trophy because he can produce the unexpected. And a nice little piece of play linking with Gerrard for that goal.

What a goal as well and that's why Gerrard shouldn't start on the right; because he's less likely to do that. It was fine when we needed to include Xabi and Momo, and we didn't have Torres, but now I think it would be a waste of his talents. You could play him there in a 4-2-3-1 but at the moment I'd rather have Kuyt there because he's doing a good job and Gerrard is better utilised in the middle.

Beeeelaruuuuuus, Beeeeelaruuuuuus, I hate fucking England but I'm loving Belarus

Beeeelaruuuuuus, Beeeeelaruuuuuus, I hate fucking England but I'm loving Belarus

Ha I think that's what I meant.