You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The West Wing

Section_31

Had this for 3-4 years but only recently started watching it. Absolutely brilliant. Finished series 2 today. In danger of it replacing The Wire as my favourite ever if it continues like this. Martin Sheen is brilliant, but you could say that about all the actors...apart from the First Lady who annoys me, although I don't know whether that's due to her annoying me in Grease also.

Have to disagree with Kev D re: Donna who I reckon is excellent and would defo get the whole 3 inches!

I leant the DVD's of this off a mate ages ago, absolutely love it but am still only part way through the 4th series. Problem is I watch it with my misses and she's not as into it as I am. Going to have to start watching it on my own so I can get it finished.

Toby is the shit.

Agreed. Although the writers really messed up his character in the last two seasons. No way would his character have done what he confessed too based upon the first 5 seasons.

Some of his dialogue with Josh and Sam is the best stuff ever written for a TV show.

his speech about team work is fucking boss, think its in the 9/11 special

one of my faves if not my fave

It's not the 9/11 special (which was unusually awful by the way), but it was fucking ace.

I also agree with Stu about them messing up his character the last two seasons. He's not the only one either; a lot of older characters got thrown off-kilter by the way they were written in Seasons 6 and 7.

• 3 months later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco

The first episode of The Newsroom was okay, but doesn't seem tot have the depth potential od The West Wing.

It had a brilliant opening scene, but I'd wager that it's more of a Studio 60 than The West Wing.

The first episode of The Newsroom was okay, but doesn't seem tot have the depth potential od The West Wing.

It had a brilliant opening scene, but I'd wager that it's more of a Studio 60 than The West Wing.

I never watched West Wing so I couldn't comment, was impressed with this though, thought people might be interested.

There was a recent documentary on the New York Times that was brilliant, and I am a sucker for Newsroom type stuff.

I think it’s unfair to ask any show to be as good or even get close to The West Wing. Of what I’ve seen, there has never been anything better then the West Wing. Sopranos and Wire fans are no doubt now having some form of internet spa-attack and devising what they think is a clever put down, but in my opinion The West Wing is better. Nothing touches it. A masterpiece television. Even the poorer episodes were bloody good.

I think it’s unfair to ask any show to be as good or even get close to The West Wing. Of what I’ve seen, there has never been anything better then the West Wing. Sopranos and Wire fans are no doubt now having some form of internet spa-attack and devising what they think is a clever put down, but in my opinion The West Wing is better. Nothing touches it. A masterpiece television. Even the poorer episodes were bloody good.

Ha!

You have obviously never watched Made in Chelsea! A modern day Boys from the Blackstuff, social realism at its best.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I preferred Six Feet Under to all of those. West Wing second.

Interesting that when the West Wing was on, and winning all those awards, Bush was being re-elected!

Similar to the great working class writing that occured under Thatcher ended up being Cold Feet under Tony Blair. This clearly isn't in anyway shape or form, thought out!

Interesting that when the West Wing was on, and winning all those awards, Bush was being re-elected!

Similar to the great working class writing that occured under Thatcher ended up being Cold Feet under Tony Blair. This clearly isn't in anyway shape or form, thought out!

I'm certain Bush's presidency played a big part in the West Wing's success, in fact I wondered at the time how Martin Sheen would have faired if he'd run for president. I think people, not just yanks, really do think that way these days.

Myabe someone should write a show called 'No 10', with Mike from Neighbours playing a great reforming Labour PM, who's not an absolute spaz, and maybe has a kid with Downe's and no wife - because she died in the Navy.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Myabe someone should write a show called 'No 10', with Mike from Neighbours playing a great reforming Labour PM, who's not an absolute spaz, and maybe has a kid with Downe's and no wife - because she died in the Navy.

I started writing it two years ago. It all turned out well in the end.

Guest San Don

WW was fucking brilliant. Something like 75% of Americans said they would have voted for 'President' Jed Bartlett!

Would have been good to see how Jimmy Smits 'President' Santos developed too but was not to be.

I'm surprised you didn't think too highly of it, I thought it was an excellent opener, Sorkin was in the mood.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'm surprised you didn't think too highly of it, I thought it was an excellent opener, Sorkin was in the mood.

I thought the opening scene was top notch. That was classic Sorkin. The rest of it was a but laboured though, I thought. I'll keep with it, of course.

'The West Wing' was an odd one in that it actually went against the zeitgeist towards the end of Sorkin's run. The first two seasons were extraordinary television, quite light and positive in tone, but then 9/11 hit and no-one wanted to watch a show about a president with MS and quite localised issues. If you go back and watch the 3rd series - during which the attacks take place - you can actually see the change in tone take place. The jovial music of the pilot is gone, and the issues are much more serious and global. It was still a great show mind, but nowhere near on the level of Sorkin's first two series.

Then it fell off a cliff when he left at the end of Series 4. 5 was an abomination and, though it rebounded somewhat in Series 6 and 7 - mainly due to the infusion of the new election candidate characters - it still fucked up a lot of the characters Sorkin had spent 4 seasons carefully crafting.

I thought it eventually renewed itself and was ready to kick on again just as they chopped it. Shame as Jimmy Smits' Latino president had certain parallels with the Obama administration.