You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

David James

Total Longo

Was watching LFCtv before and the Newcastle 96-97 game was on and Keith Gillespies goal that James allowed to astonishingly squeeze through his hands got me thinking about my feelings at the time. I know most people tend to pick Ince, Collymore, Tommy Smith, Lawrenson etc as ex-reds who wind you up to the point of irrational hatred, but mine is James, without a doubt.

I still blame him for dropping the League in 96-97, in two games at Anfield he fucked up against United and Coventry by flapping at crosses. That is my main gripe, but there is much, much more. That was the nearest we had come to the Premier League and we had genuine reason to think we could have won it, but for that clown in goal. I remember being at Anfield for the derby a year or so later, when Ferguson scored for them and then James came for a ball he shouldn't have and clattered into Rob Jones (i think) and the ball went loose to Mickael Madar who promptly missed an open goal. I was shouting my head off at James at the time, but it was only on watching the highlights later on i noticed that when the camera came back to James after the fuck up, he was smiling away like it was a big joke. He did this far too often and his flippant "couldn't give a fuck" attitude rankled with me so much at the time, but that game in particular as it was Everton. We certainly gave a fuck, David.

I was relieved when Houllier shipped him off to Villa as his excuses for his mistakes (I stayed up playing on the playstation or whatever it was) got under my skin and i could never see him ridding himself of the ultimately irritating trait of playing well for a number of games and then making a monumental cock up. I think time has proved me right on this one, although to be fair to him they are in no way as frequent nowadays. I never had a problem with the modelling or the haircuts as to me unless they were interfering with the football side of things it was irrelevant. The fact that he seems a bright, erudite individual probably rankles with me even more, as if he was thick, you could probably sympathise with his mistakes a lot easier. I heard a rumour about him going away pre-season with Liverpool to Ireland and being that bored in the hotel, he ordered a load of videos to watch and then smashed them to bits by throwing them one by one against the wall. Who knows if that one's true?

Finally, i blame him for those suits in 1996. Enough said.

I think he's a huge twat.

I hate the way he tries to model himself as "the thinking man's footballer" in the way that Le Saux did in the 90s ie a pseudo-intelligent tosser. It makes me laugh when I see his column in the Observer and hear him quote Richard Dawkins in an attempt to affirm his intelligence, because I just think "yeah, alright, mate. I bet you still go home to fit in a few hours of Gran Turismo."

Prick. Prick. Prick.

Don't even get me started on his hairstyles.

At that time United had Schmeichal in goals and when you compare how good he was and how many games he won for them then it makes you think if we'd had someone like Pepe whether we'd have won a league title then.

Guest TK-421
The mans a fuckin clown and ill never know how hes played so many times for england.

It says a lot about the standard of goalkeeping in this country. He'll never have (or never had) a big game temperament in my opinion, just look at what happened against France in Euro 2004. Zidane did him with his eyes from 25 yards.

He still looks like the world's best goalie on his day though.

I must admit to hating him also and im obviously still quite bitter as well because I find myself getting pissed off with the notion recently that he's the best keeper in the premiership. He was in team of the season the other year i think. He's nowhere near pepe, cech or van der sar. I think your right when you say it was his "it's all a bit of a joke" mentality that caused the annoyance. He came off the bench for England, rushed off his line, fucked up and gave the opposition a goal, then later he says "I didn't warm up properly." Sums him up. Complete tit!

Man, I am all over this fucker. Totally with Longo. I hate that cunt more than anyone who has ever played for Liverpool. So many times that utter, utter fucking wanker made me cry. The worst was Coventry in 1997 where we needed to win to go back above the Mancs at the top of the league. 0-0 at half time, Fowler smacked home on the volley from outside the box and it looked like we were gonna do it.

Two Gary Mac corners and two flaps from that cunt in the last few minutes and everything was ruined.

What bothers me the most about this utter utter cunt is that whenever he comes back to Anfield he gets applauded, but Steve McManaman and Michael Owen get booed. What the fuck is that shit? It seems if you're shit and you leave you get applauded, if you were any good and left of your own accord then you get booed. I know Macca and Michael didn't cost us any league championships. Macca and Robbie would have won us one had it now been for this arrogant, lethargic, child between the sticks.

People talk about how he's matured into this great keeper in the last few years. Fuck off. Did anyone see the City game the other week? At least four of the goals were his fault. He's fucking gash. He always has been and always will be. The utter, utter armani shit hair-cutted cunt.

He was shit when it mattered.

But I like him. I remember going to Melwood when i was about 10, he stayed behind doing shooting pratice for about 25 minutes and was chatting to me and my mate the whole way through. Came across as a real gent and left me beaming for weeks afterwards for being so generous and outgoing with a snotty little twat like me.

He also ruled in shooting practice when Warner was in net, bagged everyone while Redknapp missed time and again to much ridicule.

What bugs me the most besides the dropping of the league in 97 is how great a keeper he has been after he left us. If not the only, he is one of the biggest reasons our 90s was so poor and he definitely cost Evans his job and his reputation.

He really isn't that great now. He makes the same amount of mistakes he always has. They're just not as high profile these days because no-one gives a fuck about Pompey.

BBC :

2205: GOAL Guimaraes 2-0 Portsmouth (agg 2-2)

Oh dear. That's a soft goal as Guimaraes get a free kick nearly 40 yards out. Joao Alves attempts a shot and it squirts along the floor and past a static David James.

I've never been a huge fan of his either. He can be a brilliant keeper don't get me wrong, but the mistakes he makes seem to happen too much, and it leaves me feeling unsafe whenever he's in goal.

Man, I am all over this fucker. Totally with Longo. I hate that cunt more than anyone who has ever played for Liverpool. So many times that utter, utter fucking wanker made me cry. The worst was Coventry in 1997 where we needed to win to go back above the Mancs at the top of the league. 0-0 at half time, Fowler smacked home on the volley from outside the box and it looked like we were gonna do it.

Two Gary Mac corners and two flaps from that cunt in the last few minutes and everything was ruined.

What bothers me the most about this utter utter cunt is that whenever he comes back to Anfield he gets applauded, but Steve McManaman and Michael Owen get booed. What the fuck is that shit? It seems if you're shit and you leave you get applauded, if you were any good and left of your own accord then you get booed. I know Macca and Michael didn't cost us any league championships. Macca and Robbie would have won us one had it now been for this arrogant, lethargic, child between the sticks.

People talk about how he's matured into this great keeper in the last few years. Fuck off. Did anyone see the City game the other week? At least four of the goals were his fault. He's fucking gash. He always has been and always will be. The utter, utter armani shit hair-cutted cunt.

Class rant.