You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alonso is back!

WhiskeyJar

I rarely get to Anfield, living these days in Scotland and all that, but I was there when he came on as a sub early in his first season againt West Brom. The class of the man shone through. He has his head up whenever he has the ball, enabling tremendous vision and enhancing his unelievable passing range. It's something you don't see whenever you watch him on the telly. When I've seen him in the flesh since, he always reminds me of these things that I've forgotten a little bit from seeing the blur of the TV action.

He's just a phenomenal footballer and a class act.

Dave U summed it up best with the clip he put up of the norwich game a while back in another thread. Alonso has played particularly well the last couple of games coz we now have abit of width to stretch play and let Alonso do what he does better than anyone when on his game!

I agree and always have with what Tom R said, Xabi is class!

How was it overhit when he got it? :whistle:

Comon, you have to admit, it was a little overhit. Plus it took a great left footed cross from Keane to make the goal in the first place.

Give some credit to Alonso for making the pass but give some fucking credit to Keane to getting there before going over the line and making the cross....

I think the reason Alonso is playing well again is the fact that during the last two seasons he has been suffering with injury and therefore his form has suffered when he has returned only for him to get injured again.

A fit and on form Xabi Alonso is a joy to watch and if he can keep injury free i think Alonso will be an integral part of the hopefully a very successful team this season.

Despite loving Xabi, I was happy see him leave and Barry come in over the summer.

While I am made up that he's still here and look forward to his game improving further, I think he's got some way to go before I can fully agree with the thread title.

He's got to come/stay off set pieces too.

I am overjoyed that Alonso has rediscovered his old form.

However there are clearly still concerns - 4 good games do not make up for two seasons of underperforming and all this form is temporary, class is permanent is bollocks. At what point does one transcend the other?

I truly hope Alonso keeps it up and think his response to the summer has been first rate. Long may it continue.

Despite loving Xabi, I was happy see him leave and Barry come in over the summer.

While I am made up that he's still here and look forward to his game improving further, I think he's got some way to go before I can fully agree with the thread title.

He's got to come/stay off set pieces too.

That`s pretty much how I see it as well. Really glad he has picked up his performances. But I dont think he has been brilliant. He has played a few poor matches as well. But he is getting there, and that is good.

it was all part of rafa's masterplan, he never had any intention of selling him, the man is just such a fucking genius that he KNEW this would happen.

i don't think anybody wrote him off, a lot of people quite rightly said he couldn't keep playing the way he had been.

Ten out of ten for sarcasm mate.