You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love reading interviews like this:

RIERA: TORRES SHOWED ME THE WAY

RIERA: TORRES SHOWED ME THE WAY

Jimmy Rice 25 October 2008

Albert Riera has revealed how Fernando Torres helped teach him the key to succeeding in English football.

The Spain international feared his Premier League dream was over after an unremarkable loan spell at Man City in 2006.

However, Riera admits the example set by El Nino over the last year and a half made him realise how to make it in England.

"What I have learned in recent years is that any footballer can succeed in the Premier League if he has talent and he is also prepared to back that up with hard work, effort and discipline," said the 26-year-old.

"That is the secret to foreigners succeeding here, and this time I came with no illusions.

"When I was younger, I just thought I could walk on to the field and play. You can't. Look at how hard Fernando Torres works at Liverpool. He wouldn't have had to do that in Spain. It's incredible.

"I am a more technical player now and also more mature. My pride won't let me fail this time."

Riera returned to Spain and Espanyol after leaving City with no expectation of arriving back in England one day.

"Nothing is impossible in football but I thought I was suited to football elsewhere," he added. "I found it hard to adapt at City. The training there was the hardest of my life - until I came to Liverpool!

"Nobody trains as hard as the English. It takes everything out of you but maybe that is why the levels of success have increased so much.

"During my time at City I found a type of football that was utterly professional but you had to have so much energy it was untrue. This time I was ready and so far I am doing much better. I am more suited to it now."

--------------------

I'm really starting to like this man; "My pride won't let me fail this time." When you hear one of our players speaking passionately, when you can hear the steel in their voice, I proper love it. It makes me feel very proud.

Keep on working hard, Riera lad, and we'll go far together.

I'm really starting to like this man; "My pride won't let me fail this time." When you hear one of our players speaking passionately, when you can hear the steel in their voice, I proper love it. It makes me feel very proud.

Keep on working hard, Riera lad, and we'll go far together.

It is a good line and he's started very well. Long may it continue.

I love Riera, I do. I thought today's performance wasn't maybe quite as impressive as I've seen him before. I did lose my sky box for the first 15 mins of the 2nd half though (you can imagine my mood during this).

He was pretty good going forward but thought he gave away the ball too much and left some spaces down the flank.

He's still a hero though, like the rest of the lads today

He is so important to us in these big clashes. Ok, he lost the ball several times today, but IMO it's because he tried to hold on to the ball while the others just cleared it. He was calm and steady with the ball which gave us some crucial breaks when Chelsea had their run in the first half, and he won some very important free kicks at the end of the game.

Great player, great asset - well done Rafa!