You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

He was good again today - I just wish he had a bit more pace. He'd be one of the best wingers in the world if he was really quick.

I think he needs to be more of a goal-threat too but hopefully that will come. He'll create loads of chances/goals though if early impressions are correct.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i was just a little boy

I asked our rafa

what do we need?

Do we need queresma

or that wackeeeen

Here's what he said to me

we'll get Riera son

played for city and beat the scum

written off by almost everyone

turns out he's pretty good and an astute signing who's width free's up our other players, gives us an added dimension and there defenders more to worry about whilst lessening the congestion down the middle.

I think the last line needs a bit of work.

Repped for the catchy genius of the last line.

He was good again today - I just wish he had a bit more pace. He'd be one of the best wingers in the world if he was really quick.

I think he needs to be more of a goal-threat too but hopefully that will come. He'll create loads of chances/goals though if early impressions are correct.

I don't think he'll score many a season, but he'll make up for it because of the amount of DANGEROUS crosses he gets in, not just fanny crosses that make up the numbers.

I wasn't predicting Reira was going to be great by the way, so don't take this the wrong way. Sure i've already mentioned this, but i couldn't even remember who he was.

Probably the most spectacularly wrong this forum has been on a signing, I reckon. Fantastic player - can't remember seeing anyone with such a high success rate on flicks and tricks.... and pretty much everything he tries to be honest. Absolute quality player.

Our forwards aren't up to speed with him at the moment, on the crossing side of things. I just hope he carries on doing exactly what he's doing now and they start getting in there quicker - rather than him adapting to them and taking his time more to put the ball in the box.

I wasn't predicting Reira was going to be great by the way, so don't take this the wrong way. Sure i've already mentioned this, but i couldn't even remember who he was.

Probably the most spectacularly wrong this forum has been on a signing, I reckon. Fantastic player - can't remember seeing anyone with such a high success rate on flicks and tricks.... and pretty much everything he tries to be honest. Absolute quality player.

Our forwards aren't up to speed with him at the moment, on the crossing side of things. I just hope he carries on doing exactly what he's doing now and they start getting in there quicker - rather than him adapting to them and taking his time more to put the ball in the box.

That's true. our forwards and midfield runners are so used to wide attacks breaking down, going backwards, or going inside that they are reluctant to commit to making the runs to get into the box, as they've been burned before. Hopefully they'll see what a quality wide player can do now, and realise that they could get a hatful of goals if they make the run.

Riera gets Spain call up after injury rules out Capel

MADRID, Oct 7 (Reuters) - Spain coach Vicente del Bosque called up Liverpool winger Albert Riera for their October World Cup qualifiers after Diego Capel was forced to withdraw from the squad because of injury on Tuesday.

Sevilla’s 20-year-old winger Capel had been struggling with a muscle injury in his right leg and failed to complete the morning training session. A later scan ruled him out.

Del Bosque turned to Liverpool’s new recruit Riera, who has five caps and last represented his country in the 1-0 friendly win over Italy in March, the Spanish Football Federation said on its website (Inicio - Real Federación Española de Fútbol).

Winger Santi Cazorla was able to return for afternoon training on Tuesday after having also left the morning session with bruising to his leg following a collision with Pepe Reina.

Group Five leaders Spain, with two wins from two games, travel to face Estonia on Saturday and are also away to Belgium four days later.

Double Joy For Riera As He Prepares To Be A Father

Albert Riera must have been delighted enough at returning into the Spain team last night but now the winger has more reason to celebrate as he prepares to become a father.....

It's not been a bad twenty four hours for Albert Riera, what with Spain winning 3-0 in Estonia and him returning to the national team, and now it looks as though he will be a perfect end to the weekend as he celebrates becoming a father.

The winger is flying back to Barcelona today to witness the birth, which is expected to be tomorrow, and then will join up with the rest of the team in Belgium for their next match.

The winger may have only played 15 minutes against Estonia but he looked impressive and will have been delighted to get his first call-up from new manager Vicente Del Bosque.

The ex-Espanyol man came in to replace the injured Diego Capel, and it seems as though his weekend has gone just about perfectly with this latest bit of news.

Riera missed the training session with his team-mates after the match yesterday because he flew straight home and it is not yet known how soon he will link up with them after the birth.