You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

He's a decent player but his most important contribution is providing us with natural balance and width.

Agreed.

When we reached 82 points under Benitez, we had Gerrard on the right and Kewell on the left. It was about the only time we kept Kewell fit for a large percentage of games.

But Kewell was nothing but decent. He kept the ball and used it well. But as you mention with Riera, he gave the team balance.

It's an underated point and the team does have a nice balance to it at the moment.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairnes to Benitaur, I don't think he was saying Riera is like Zidane, ability wise, I took him to mean that he reckons that Zidane would look lightweight in The Prem.

I was just responding to another poster who said that Reira reminded him of Figo. IMO he is closer to Zidane, not in overall ability and class, but in style. He has the same calmness on the ball, with the split second dribbles to keep the ball just barely out of the opponent's reach and leaving them for dead, and a relaxed running style with the ball. His passing and shooting still needs work though.

Zidane would never have struggled in England.

IMO he would. But I think he has in his prime enough class to eventually adept.

I read that at one stage there was a dispute among the Arsenal players and Zidane in the France dressing room. The Arsenal players wanted to play a faster pace to make full use of Henry's speed, while Zidane preferred his own slower style, and the team was built around him at the time.

So if Zidane did come to England, he would take some time to adept his style for a faster game. Or maybe only if he joined Arsenal?

I'd cut him some slack. Given that in his first handful of games he has played against the Mancs, a CL game away and a derby, I think he has done quite well for himself. He is going to terrorise a team who is questionable down their right side one day, I feel it.

Your a fucking hard bunch to please

What Riera brings to the team over someone like Babel is Technical abillity, ie abillity to trap a ball, pass a football and cross as well as the abillity go past players. He's no world beater but he is easily the best winger weve had under Rafa. Now if Kuyt had Reira's abillity matched to his own he would be some bloodly player and more to the point it all the midfield and offensive players has Reira's technical abillity we could play pass n move football and actually keep the ball.

Reira's arrival does however bring big question marks over Babel who is now most defo not a first teamer.

Your a fucking hard bunch to please

What Riera brings to the team over someone like Babel is Technical abillity, ie abillity to trap a ball, pass a football and cross as well as the abillity go past players. He's no world beater but he is easily the best winger weve had under Rafa. Now if Kuyt had Reira's abillity matched to his own he would be some bloodly player and more to the point it all the midfield and offensive players has Reira's technical abillity we could play pass n move football and actually keep the ball.

Reira's arrival does however bring big question marks over Babel who is now most defo not a first teamer.

Babel would be ideal in Kuyt's role down the right hand side & he could switch flanks with Riera occasionally too.

Babel would be ideal in Kuyt's role down the right hand side & he could switch flanks with Riera occasionally too.

But obviously he's not because Dirk forever gets chosen before him.

Who was part of the play for the two goals? Dirk, dragging lescott across to make space for Torres and then a 1-2 with Keane that ended up on Torres boot.

Thats why Rafa loves him.

And me (if you hadnt gathered).

But obviously he's not because Dirk forever gets chosen before him.

Who was part of the play for the two goals? Dirk, dragging lescott across to make space for Torres and then a 1-2 with Keane that ended up on Torres boot.

Thats why Rafa loves him.

And me (if you hadnt gathered).

Kuyt was superb yesterday

Cant believe I typed that!

Babel has no future in the LFC first team (when everyones fit) whilst we play 4-4-2.

You could play him and Reira in 4-2-3-1 but not in 4-4-2 with Reira.

Love or loathe Kuyt he brings balance to a team in a 4-4-2 a bit like Ray Parlour did for Arsenal in Wengers first title team. because they wanted to give overmars the freedom to go and beat teams.

We would be too defensively suspect with Babel and Reira on the flanks.

Maybe against a team like stoke who put 11 players behind the ball you could do it.

Babel is now an impact player and Robbie Keane´s understudy.

Babel has no future in the LFC first team (when everyones fit) whilst we play 4-4-2.

You could play him and Reira in 4-2-3-1 but not in 4-4-2 with Reira.

Love or loathe Kuyt he brings balance to a team in a 4-4-2 a bit like Ray Parlour did for Arsenal in Wengers first title team. because they wanted to give overmars the freedom to go and beat teams.

We would be too defensively suspect with Babel and Reira on the flanks.

Maybe against a team like stoke who put 11 players behind the ball you could do it.

Babel is now an impact player and Robbie Keane´s understudy.

As you would expect from a 21 year old £10m signing. He would always be the understudy to the older more pricey strikers we hae in the side.

Babel will also play a fair few games on the left aswell.

It's not so black and white

Just how long exactly does it take to reach whatever level of fitness is required by a professional footballer?

Riera has well-exceeded my expectations but as has been noted, his fitness is a bit lacking. Does a footballer's fitness level drop so dramatically from not playing for a few weeks during the summer? I mean they should still be pretty damn fit. Nevertheless, he's been here 4 weeks now so how long exactly should it take for him to be capable of playing for 90 minutes?

Riera has well-exceeded my expectations but as has been noted, his fitness is a bit lacking. Does a footballer's fitness level drop so dramatically from not playing for a few weeks during the summer? I mean they should still be pretty damn fit. Nevertheless, he's been here 4 weeks now so how long exactly should it take for him to be capable of playing for 90 minutes?

This situation isn't unique to Riera. Lots of new signings are eased into the team, like Keane who hasn't completed 90 mins and was left out against Marseille.

He does look tired though (Riera), I just wonder how long should it take to regain full fitness. It's not like he's had any injuries that I know of.

If a player doesn't play or train for 6 weeks, what level does their fitness drop to and how long does it take to regain that?

It's an honest question; I'm not having a dig at the pattern on Rafa's tie.

Unless its hull at home dont see Rafa starting with Reira and Babel. However could see him trying babel on the right and putting Kuyt or Aurellio on the Left

I think we could get away with it if we're just playing one up front. A central midfield of three with Masch, Alonso and Gerrard would provide adequate cover IMO.

Possibilities.

He does look tired though (Riera), I just wonder how long should it take to regain full fitness. It's not like he's had any injuries that I know of.

If a player doesn't play or train for 6 weeks, what level does their fitness drop to and how long does it take to regain that?

It's an honest question; I'm not having a dig at the pattern on Rafa's tie.

Maybe he's not used to the pace and demands of playing in the Premier League and playing for Rafa. I don't know the answer to the questions, Les.