You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Going Out, Getting Older Question.

Section_31

When you go out on the piss to clubs etc when you're younger, and on lads' holidays, you enjoy them and think it's the way to live.

Then when you get a bit older, at least 'some' of that enjoyment goes, and the prospect of being stuck in a club or going to Magaluf will often be greeted with all the enthusiasm of a man about to enter a bull ring armed only with a feather duster.

So my question is thus - were such places ALWAYS shit, and you just weren't mature enough to realise it?

Or, are they no longer fun because you're not young enough to truly fit in?

Speaking personally, I used to go out about four nights a week in my uni days, now though, I often find that around about 11pm, thoughts turn to the kebab shop menu and bed.

When you go out on the piss to clubs etc when you're younger, and on lads' holidays, you enjoy them and think it's the way to live.

Then when you get a bit older, at least 'some' of that enjoyment goes, and the prospect of being stuck in a club or going to Magaluf will often be greeted with all the enthusiasm of a man about to enter a bull ring armed only with a feather duster.

So my question is thus - were such places ALWAYS shit, and you just weren't mature enough to realise it?

Speaking personally, I used to go out about four nights a week in my uni days, now though, I often find that around about 11pm, thoughts turn to the kebab shop menu and bed.

MMMMmmmmm Kebap........

In my heyday, out six nights a week was the norm but marriage, kids, mortgage soon puts paid to all that, plus the responsibility of getting up for work. I do go to town occasionally with our kid and the lads but a large part of the fun has gone out of it. I suppose its all part of being 'the oldest swinger in town' innit?

I still go out alot. Not to those sort of meat market places you would go to when you were in your teens.. I have a local pub which is a real rarity these days and it's a proper boozer. I also still like to go raving as i'm into my jungle and old skool so there is still a fair few places to go in London at the weekend.

I feel the same as you and I am only 21.

I used to love partying a few years back, absolutely love it. Getting pissed, doing mad things with the mates, getting off with random girls (mostly ugly, 99.9% ugly in fairness).

At 17/18 all that stuff is new to you, a real sense of freedom but after a while it becomes boring. No matter what you do, you will always reach a point of boredom when the freshness of it goes.

The places remain the same, you don't. Times change and people change mate. Just go with the flow because nothings ever the same again.

Everything is of its time.

Now is the time of the Pringle fest my friend !

Another few years and your only social outlet will be lunchtime children's parties where if you're lucky you can sneak a pint or if you're unlucky the tight arsed parents offer squash or tea.

Horses for courses I feel. The clubs are still there catering for the youth. They are shit and always were, but youths like shit, just as we did when we were youths.

The interesting thing for me is that pubs and bars seem to have evolved to cater for the thirty/forty somethings which is something that either never happened when I was younger, or never noticed. I think it used to be that you could go out in town until about 11, but then it was either onto a club or end of the evening. Now though, I can stay out in town until the wee hours without setting foot in a club, not feel out of place, and not have to listen to some wanker playing shit music so loud you might as well be there on your own for all the use trying to talk to anyone is.

I'm getting worse as I get older in the sense that I'm going out more than ever and loving it more than ever. I can see myself being one of those old fella's you still see going to Clubs and trying to cling on to youthfulness when the fact is that it died many years before.

I'm 25 now and probably have the mental age of a 17 year old

I absolutely love Nation(Cream) in town when the hold Cream a few times a year. Can't wait for Cream's 16th Birthday in 3 weeks.

At your age Monty? Be honest, you're referring to Working Men's Clubs aren't you?

Afraid not, Noos my man. I am talking about clubs where they play tunes I can launch my moves to. I'm a sucker for a quality night in the local with some good conversation but I still enjoy going out if it's to the right places, places like South or The Venue in Manchester in particular. To be fair I am way keener to get an early dart to secure a taxi and some grub than I used to be but that's just experience and common sense.

Afraid not, Noos my man. I am talking about clubs where they play tunes I can launch my moves to. I'm a sucker for a quality night in the local with some good conversation but I still enjoy going out if it's to the right places, places like South or The Venue in Manchester in particular. To be fair I am way keener to get an early dart to secure a taxi and some grub than I used to be but that's just experience and common sense.

Sounds like you still got what it takes, Peter Stringmonty...

NAT-01-STRINGFELLOW_549519.jpg

I was over in Tenerife recently and I visited a few of the places I went to when I was 18 and on my first lads holidays. I had the greatest nights of my young life at the time and loved the place and always longed to return with the lads for a drunken trip. But 18 years on I went back and I couldn't get out of the place quick enough. I think you just grow up. I still ended up in nightclubs, but ones with people in their 30s and not 18 year olds. Although the girls in the nightclubs I used to go to....fuckin' hell!!! They'd give you a horn that'd beat a donkey out of a ditch.

I'm now tired if the pub goes past 11 although I still go out 3-4 times a week. I pay for it though. I think I just no longer want to look like a tit and then pay for it with a hangover you can't drink off because you're at work.

Clubs - I dont think I've been to one for about 4 years, I showed the new Ms Thants my moves recently and it reminded her of her dad. That's the last time I dance in public but no doubt the next wedding I'll switch from previously moping in the back sneering at the wallies on the dancefloor to being the dancefloor king looking 50.

Ah bugger.

_42591921_unluckyalf203.jpg

I was over in Tenerife recently and I visited a few of the places I went to when I was 18 and on my first lads holidays. I had the greatest nights of my young life at the time and loved the place and always longed to return with the lads for a drunken trip. But 18 years on I went back and I couldn't get out of the place quick enough. I think you just grow up. I still ended up in nightclubs, but ones with people in their 30s and not 18 year olds. Although the girls in the nightclubs I used to go to....fuckin' hell!!! They'd give you a horn that'd beat a donkey out of a ditch.

Went to Lanzarote with a mate in March, we'd been to Puerto Rico the year before and had a top laugh.

But when I was out drinking on the balcony, now and again I'd get these flashbacks of what it was like when I first started going abroad with my mates and how much more dull everything seemed to feel, trying to recreate that 'we're going out in a bit!' excitement is something you just can't do, and it's a bit shit.

Now and then I'll hear a tune I associate with those years and It reminds me that most of those lads I used to hang with are spread all over the place now (in a travelling sense, not in a suicide bomber sense), or married etc.

And the thought that you've got to just keep moving through the various stages of life - because everyone else is and you've got no choice - is a bit depressing.

Probably it's because it was wear your mates and people your age group went and was therefore the place to go.

Also, your young and inexperienced and don't know where else to go.

Partially because the crowd you used to go with have also gotten older and that tastes have moved on and different places become the in places. Mainly though becuase they were always shite.

Personally, at 26 now, I've enjoy going out more now miles more then I used to when was 18 and in my early 20's.

Firstly, I hang out with a different crowd now who are a lot more relaxed on not on the pull all the time (although there is obviousley an element of that still in it). We go different places which are more my scene and the clientel who go to the same places are of similar age to myself. Also, as you get older you realise it's not manly-ness contest of who can get the most pissed the quickest. I've grown to appriciate and savour a nice pint now rather than getting it down so quick it doesn't touch the sides.

Now and then I'll hear a tune I associate with those years and It reminds me that most of those lads I used to hang with are spread all over the place now (in a travelling sense, not in a suicide bomber sense), or married etc.

And the thought that you've got to just keep moving through the various stages of life - because everyone else is and you've got no choice - is a bit depressing.

Gun-Word-Up---Part-1-53770.jpg

If I tried to go out clubbing now like I did when I was 17 I would probably die..

Thing is, can't be arsed with that kind of thing nowadays. My idea of a good night-out is a lovely little pub near me. If they do play music, it's live folk music, they sell real ales, no fruit machines, and have a working fireplace complete with comfy chairs and a bookshelf. If the weather is nice they have an impromptu barbecue around the back.

All I'm missing is my chunky wooly jumper (I do have one by the way, it's in the wardrobe waiting for winter.) and I'm set.

Bolded sounds like me... I usually start thinking about my post-drink meal and begin planning an escape around midnight.

I used to go out loads and now I just loathe it. I have to be with good people for it to be of any entertainment value now.

My idea of a good night-out is a lovely little pub near me. If they do play music, it's live folk music, they sell real ales, no fruit machines, and have a working fireplace complete with comfy chairs and a bookshelf. If the weather is nice they have an impromptu barbecue around the back.

Fucking hell, that sounds like the heaven to Ibiza's hell.