You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ipod car adapters

Elite

The usb deely in the glovebox is something that Alpine alone do I think. I've got an old version of it in my car and you can control the ipod with the stereo, IE. Use the volume knob like the clickwheel. It's good but expensive.

Basically, there's no nice way to do it unless you have a brand new car or an old stereo with a line-in. Best option would be DJLJ's suggestion of the Macally.

• 2 years later...

The radio-based ones are shit. I use a cassette adaptor for now, until I get around to fitting a better head unit with a dedicated line-in, and a home made USB charger.

I preferred to make my own charger as it was fun to do, only cost a couple of quid, and also safer as I've put a crowbar circuit within it. If anything above 5.6V tries to get into my iPod, the crowbar activates, cuts off the power to the iPod in milliseconds and lights up a small reset light.

That unit itself feeds from an interference suppresion circuit that I build for my radio gear so there is no alternator whine/other electrical sproggies on the power lines.

I need to get out more...