You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goalscoring, do we have a problem on our hands?

Code

• 3 weeks later...

We need to get real defensive stability, sharpish.  If we keep scoring goals in our current manner, with the run in we have, we might not be just a surprise package this season - we may just pull off a fucking huge shock.  Whether the defence needs tightening, or it's down to midfield not protecting enough I'm not smart enough to read, but if we can sort that out and keep our front line fit, we can be right in there, not just top 4.

Fuck me, what a 50th birthday pressie that would be for me !

• Upvote 1

We need to get real defensive stability, sharpish.  If we keep scoring goals in our current manner, with the run in we have, we might not be just a surprise package this season - we may just pull off a fucking huge shock.  Whether the defence needs tightening, or it's down to midfield not protecting enough I'm not smart enough to read, but if we can sort that out and keep our front line fit, we can be right in there, not just top 4.

Fuck me, what a 50th birthday pressie that would be for me !

"fucking huge shock" is right,

afterall nobody jumps from 7th to 1st in one season and it is City's title to lose.

Brendan is doing very well, the media do not discuss us, they only talk about city, chelsea and arsenal, even united still get discussed, ignoring us, spurs and everton which is fine by me.

In years past it has been a 2 horse race; united and arsenal/ chelsea/ even us in 09 then recently city. Fly under the radar, these teams still have an eye on Europe, Wenger talks about fight for title, City talking about the Quad and Mourinho just talks. We'll talk in May.

No doubt the defensive side needs improvement. This is a midfield and fullback issue most of all. I'm no big fan of Skrtel, but still I think we have two very good (Agger and Sakho) CBs and good cover in Toure and Skrtel.

We need an upgrade it seems on right back and better cover at left.

Regarding the original topic of course goals have not been a problem for the last 6-10 months at least. Still I think it's also key to keep improving that especially Coutinho, Sterling and Henderson contribute with more goals. Signs are there that this is happening, and they all need to keep improving in that department. Especially if we're gonna challenge for the title in a year or three, cause I really don't see that happening this year.

This is the year we must challenge.

Mid January and 6 points off top, take 2009 out and we aint been this good since Evans in 1996 (this may be innacurate)

City will only improve, purchasing more and more expensive players.

Chelsea will try and outspend City even though the Cole-Terry-Lampard will have to be replaced rather soon.

United cant be as shit next season as they are this season, can they?

Arsenal may realise that if they did buy a couple £25m - £40m players they might actually win something.

Next year we will hopefully have european football, a lot more games, more pressure on our small squad which will make PL points evn more difficult.

If we dont win it in 2014, then I fear we will drift away from challenging.

No red wants to say we can win it for fear of looking stupid/ over ambitious but its not as ridiculous as it sounds 6 -12 months ago.

Mid January and 6 points off top, take 2009 out and we aint been this good since Evans in 1996 (this may be innacurate)

We were pretty solid in 97 as well, until James started dropping every cross coming into the box and we ended up fourth in that fucking two horse race. Had almost wiped it off my memory but there is still some left there keep my resentment towards that twat. Makes me weep inside just thinking about it.

We were pretty solid in 97 as well, until James started dropping every cross coming into the box and we ended up fourth in that fucking two horse race. Had almost wiped it off my memory but there is still some left there keep my resentment towards that twat. Makes me weep inside just thinking about it.

Was that when Lara Croft gave him a permanent head fuck ?

I think we may have a problem. People rightly point out that our away record is a bit misleading as we've played most of the top sides at their grounds, so naturally we've lost games. However, I think there is a corollary to that, in that we've also played 6 of the bottom 7 sides at Anfield. I think that's lead to an inflated sense of our ability to score goals and fully expect the 4 and 5 goal hammerings to disappear as we face much better defences. 

Another concern of mine is that I don't particularly trust anybody other than Suarez and Sturridge to score decisive match-winning goals. We've got players who can add the shine onto a victory at 2-0, to make it 3-0, or 4-0, but I'm very skeptical about their ability to score when the pressure is still on. The margins against, Chelsea, Spurs, City et al are going to be tight and, as good as Suarez and Sturridge are, a well drilled defence can turn up for 90 minutes and nullify two threats. 

It's why I think getting a goalscoring forward - the one Rodgers was trying to get in the summer - should still be a priority in this window, second only to getting a CM. 

Excellent point and perhaps knocking my hopes down a peg or 2.

Perhaps if Coutinho could practice shooting, he would be another player to hit double figures.

It takes a very good defence to keep 2 of them quiet, 1 certainly but 2 (ignoring emirates game) and even then they had their chances as did Henderson.

• 4 weeks later...