Quantcast
Goalscoring, do we have a problem on our hands? - Page 11 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Code

Goalscoring, do we have a problem on our hands?

Our away form has been terrible for a long time and we are no longer playing that well at home. Were poor. Theres no beating around the Bush we are capable of so much more but its not happening. If we keep plodding on we will keep getting similar results.

Been saying it for some time, far too often we've had the look of trying to walk the ball into the net, only trying to score from 12 yards or less or by nice intricate movement in the box.

I remember a city game, not sure who it was against, but in the first few minutes the ball came to Mahrez at an angle in the box. He just smashed it at the goal and it flew in. I said at the time if that had been us, the ball would have either been lofted hopefully into the middle of the box or crossed and pulled back to around the penalty spot. That's what we should have been doing against West Brom, taking a few digs at goal and others instead of the pass, pass, pass, pass.

Retaining possession is great and important but you need to stretch teams who just want to sit deep. You've also got to move the ball quickly and accurately. Taking a few shots is also a good idea.

• Upvote 1

We're a team that is based on creating the most quality chances we can because if we do that, the odds are at some point those chances will be converted. That's why we don't shoot from distance that much and our quintessential goal has been from a fullback cross to one of the 3 forwards in the area for a close range shot, or the gegenpress.

It's about creating the chances with the highest chance of a goal happening. I just don't think we're creating enough of those good chances recently. We had more on target yesterday, but recently all the games have been like 20 shots, 2 on target type games and that means we're just not creating good enough chances. What the fix is for that, I don't know.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We're a team that is based on creating the most quality chances we can because if we do that, the odds are at some point those chances will be converted. That's why we don't shoot from distance that much and our quintessential goal has been from a fullback cross to one of the 3 forwards in the area or the gegenpress.

It's about creating the chances with the highest chance of a goal happening. I just don't think we're creating enough of those good chances recently. We had more on target yesterday, but recently all the games have been like 20 shots, 2 on target type games and that means we're just not creating good enough chances. What the fix is for that, I don't know.

Just need a goal to go in and win a game anyhow. 

16 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

What's the main cause?

It's obviously not that our front 3 aren't good enough; they are, but none of them have shown it for at least a month. 

Similarly, Trent obviously still has the talent, but he's wasting it on mindlessly lashing balls against the first defender.

Injuries have meant that we haven't been able to play our best midfield (any three from Hendo, Fabinho, Thiago, Gini and Shaq) so we haven't been able to support the attackers properly or offer any alternatives. 

I'm genuinely baffled.  Thank fuck I'm not a manager. 

Can’t only be the injuries because we were looking poor before they became injured. Not sure about the stats here but we don’t seem to doing as much running as before, not as intense as and dep pressing etc. Perhaps they’re too leggy because they have had no time off, but then after the first lockdown they had more time off than they had had in several seasons. Perhaps we are trying to take even better percentage chances than before because we do seem to be more tiki-taka around the box, very slow and ponderous moving of the ball and not as many runners in deep. Whatever it is, it is painful to watch, when you know how good these front 3 can be. 

Mane and Firmino is not contributing anything close to being good enough this season.

PL stats:

Salah: 21 (+ 2) = 17 goals

Mane: 20 (+ 1) = 7 goals

Firmino: 22 (+2) = 6 goals

E22E8BE7-9D3A-4398-8186-C69A74B392C9.jpeg

CDEBE61E-C490-4E02-BC26-BC0ACD9CD862.jpeg

F4755723-80F7-4D0F-A14D-4AD9D8D7473A.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Trevorjc said:

Mane was good for the first half hour today then completely disappeared. 

He has scored 3 goals in his last 17 PL games. 

After about 6 minutes Mane somehow got away from 3 players  got to the edge of the box and should have had a go, it's happened to many times I don't get it. Shoot, got fuck all to lose. 

Manè's reaction to Mo's goal was not good. That was a fucking huge goal at the time and his body language was awful, almost upset that Salah scored. 

20 minutes ago, No2 said:

Manè's reaction to Mo's goal was not good. That was a fucking huge goal at the time and his body language was awful, almost upset that Salah scored. 

Nothing new there then.