You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goalscoring, do we have a problem on our hands?

Code

On 17/05/2021 at 11:44, Carvalho Diablo said:

We do have a goal scoring problem, but it's hardly the lads up front who are to blame.

I'm sure there's a statistical analysis of goals scored and created from midfield, it says our lot are shit.

Mane has 10. Bobby maybe half that.

It's not good enough.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I would say no in answer to the last post.

We scored 9 goals agains Bournemouth, if we take away 6 of those goals, we are on the same amount as Leicester, and 3 more than Haaland at the moment, now 55 minutes into this game against Wolves. 

Mane scored 16 last season and Jota 15, our injuries up front are killing us. 

Numbers from this season and our last se en seasons before that. 

670BD2A1-98A7-48A5-8495-8F17A837970B.jpeg

4A75DC72-E0FD-4FD4-8EEC-65FDE78E2AC6.jpeg

65664BA2-CE28-41F7-A2C1-0CFA2FADE67F.jpeg

75277430-0A62-4A10-8BD7-05F52042EE93.jpeg

5BC374AA-1534-4EFB-84C3-E7C151400F61.jpeg

8AB42EC9-BD77-404C-92ED-8E7F3C29C79D.jpeg

291FF78B-C382-4876-8AEE-4F40274D3A68.jpeg

461CC519-6634-4AEF-947B-7F8F47EC1D33.jpeg

Our shooting seems insanely poor and has for a long time like we need 5 chances just to get one pea roller on target. It might just be a case of it feeling that way for all teams. We did create so many chances it didn't matter but now we have to change our play we really do need our players to be a bit more clinical. 

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

When he was playing many were saying he doesn't score enough!

I don't think he does,but he's the one forward we have that can isolate and beat a fullback regularly. He pulls players out of position making it easier for others 

Some good points made in some of the previous posts. But I also think 2 big defensive pieces are also causing us problems. Firstly we've stopped being a 2nd ball team. We rarely seem to win any loose balls you think at 50/50 or even 60/40 - in fact our players are rarely even in any type of position to make anything 60/40. Aside from the obvious possession loss this creates, it also prevents us building pressure. Time and again we would get goals because of the way we could pressurise teams and make them feel there was no way out and we almost had an extra man. This would lead to mistakes, goals, pens etc. 

Which then leads on to the obvious one. Our lack of quality pressing. Klopp has said before about the counter press being our most creative player. Well we just don't have that any more. So as well as losing some of our forwards for large chunks of the season, we've lost out most creative "player". 

It's these basics in getting the fighting side of the game right that leads to most of the wrongs with our team. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Some good points made in some of the previous posts. But I also think 2 big defensive pieces are also causing us problems. Firstly we've stopped being a 2nd ball team. We rarely seem to win any loose balls you think at 50/50 or even 60/40 - in fact our players are rarely even in any type of position to make anything 60/40. Aside from the obvious possession loss this creates, it also prevents us building pressure. Time and again we would get goals because of the way we could pressurise teams and make them feel there was no way out and we almost had an extra man. This would lead to mistakes, goals, pens etc. 

Which then leads on to the obvious one. Our lack of quality pressing. Klopp has said before about the counter press being our most creative player. Well we just don't have that any more. So as well as losing some of our forwards for large chunks of the season, we've lost out most creative "player". 

It's these basics in getting the fighting side of the game right that leads to most of the wrongs with our team. 

This is a good post.

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Which then leads on to the obvious one. Our lack of quality pressing. Klopp has said before about the counter press being our most creative player.

Think of what has really changed though. The broken midfield is exactly the same.

2/3rds of the front are gone and you could argue the other has been shite.

So...

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Think of what has really changed though. The broken midfield is exactly the same.

So...

The midfield isn't playing the same. But I do also think some of the pressing issues do come from our ever changing front line. Personally I never thought it was our forwards who won the ball back so much - well unless there was a weak victim they would target. But they were great at blocking passing lanes, forcing defenders into passes they didn't want to make and if the ball then got through, the midfield would pounce. Once or twice a game we'd get it wrong. But not any more, it's pretty much every time. The forwards aren't blocking passing lanes as good as they were, but the midfield has been fucking appalling and just stops nothing. Which then means the other team is flooding at our defence - at a time we'd have turned over possession and been creating a chance in the past. 

I don’t think the lack of press has contributed to our low goal tally this season. It hasn’t helped but I wouldn’t say it’s a primary reason - although it does show that, in general, we have been a lot less intense this season.

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

So...

I think it’s more this. 

Our midfield under Klopp has never scored many goals. The full backs haven’t been as good this season. 

Mane has left, Diaz doesn’t score as many and has been injured. Mo isn’t contributing as much. Jota scored 20+ goals last season and has played once this season, Ox never scores many from out wide & Gakpo hasn’t hit the ground running.

Firmino & Nunez have done Ok, Nunez has been very wasteful. 

So in summary, less intense play, the players with the most assists aren’t producing and a combination of injuries & average form are all contributing.

I do think fixing the midfield, so players aren’t as afraid to make mistakes or go forward as much or as afraid of what will happen if they lose the ball, will see the full backs getting in better positions again and  the forwards narrower.

47 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Yes - we scored 25% of our goals in 1 game this season. Without that win, our GD would be 0. 

We’re not making as many chances as we used to, when we do, we’re wasteful.

We’ve always been wasteful, even with Mane, Firmino and Salah at their best we missed loads of chances, but we made so many that it was often more than enough to see off most teams. That isn’t the case now though.

• Upvote 2