You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goalscoring, do we have a problem on our hands?

Code

20 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

No it wasn't. At the time we had 3 of the top Cb's in the league and had seen enough of Fabinho to know he was head and shoulders over anyone else we had or could realistically bring in.

Your second sentence proves that.

I do not really care how the deals were structured - the bottom line is we brought in an a world class midfielder and a proven international for backup upfront.

I like Jota,a lot but wasnt he just a back up at Wolves,mostly?

I don’t care what anyone says, selling Lovren, Brewster and Hoever and buying Jota, Thiago and a left back made sense. Not buying a centreback was stupid but if it was a choice between Thiago or Kabak in June nobody is signing Kabak just to be safe. We lost our confidence and leadership through having our most senior leaders injured and once that confidence goes the goals always dry up. 

• 2 weeks later...

They're both excellent footballers. Although both are better suited to La Liga (the slower pace suits Suso, and less physicality uits Aspas) they'd both have far offered far more in our front three this season than all bar Salah. 

Aspas is really vocal for Celta Vigo. A proper leader on the pitch. It's funny speaking to people here and telling them he's basically known for taking the worst corner in the history of the game, and looking like he had about a week to live at his medical. Here he's recognised as one of the most consistent forwards in the league and generally an absolute pain in the arse to play against. 

He really should have been the Spanish Bellamy. That's precisely how he plays in La Liga. Reasonably quick, runs in behind, good touch, decent finisher, winds up opponents, huge drive to win, etc etc. 

How was he so bad for us? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

They're both excellent footballers. Although both are better suited to La Liga (the slower pace suits Suso, and less physicality uits Aspas) they'd both have far offered far more in our front three this season than all bar Salah. 

Aspas is really vocal for Celta Vigo. A proper leader on the pitch. It's funny speaking to people here and telling them he's basically known for taking the worst corner in the history of the game, and looking like he had about a week to live at his medical. Here he's recognised as one of the most consistent forwards in the league and generally an absolute pain in the arse to play against. 

He really should have been the Spanish Bellamy. That's precisely how he plays in La Liga. Reasonably quick, runs in behind, good touch, decent finisher, winds up opponents, huge drive to win, etc etc. 

So players just don’t have it in them go play in the premier league. The referees do play on a lot, and let a lot of challenges go. It’s the best thing about the league, but some players just don’t fancy getting kicked. I’m starting to fear that Naby is one of those.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

So players just don’t have it in them go play in the premier league. The referees do play on a lot, and let a lot of challenges go. It’s the best thing about the league, but some players just don’t fancy getting kicked. I’m starting to fear that Naby is one of those.

That last line is a certainty.

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Lightweight, innit.

• Upvote 1

On 28/04/2021 at 17:54, VladimirIlyich said:

I like Jota,a lot but wasnt he just a back up at Wolves,mostly?

On 28/04/2021 at 18:12, TheHowieLama said:

Don't really know the details but a quick look on interwebz says last season played in 48 - scored 16.

From listening to wolves supporters, he'd been pretty much a regular with wolves till his last half to full season, he'd gone off the boil and mostly started from the bench. They definitely viewed him as a fringe player when he left, which is why most of their fans were pretty happy with the deal. They thought he was good, but maybe gone stale. It would be interesting to know how many of those 46 were off the bench and for me even more interesting to know how many of those 16 goals came from sub appearances. There's no doubt he's had a bigger impact for us off the bench. 

11 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Aspas should have been used more by Rodgers to give Suarez and others 15 or 20 minutes off every now and then when we were battering sides. Our attack was gassed by April. It would have benefited everybody (and Suarez’s reaction to being substituted would have been poetry in motion too). 

Would certainly have been interesting to see him getting a chance under Klopp. 

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

In what many see as a miracle, a man woke from a 10 year coma today. Iago Aspas faces many grueling months of rehab as his body muscle has dropped to as low as 10%

Bs0GJf_CYAEyLBa.jpg_large.jpg

Do Sonny and Cher still have that stupid show?

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Aspas should have been used more by Rodgers to give Suarez and others 15 or 20 minutes off every now and then when we were battering sides. Our attack was gassed by April. It would have benefited everybody (and Suarez’s reaction to being substituted would have been poetry in motion too). 

Would certainly have been interesting to see him getting a chance under Klopp. 

Yeah, I think Klopp would have quite liked him as a player. He'd have needed to get in the gym obviously.

8 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

In what many see as a miracle, a man woke from a 10 year coma today. Iago Aspas faces many grueling months of rehab as his body muscle has dropped to as low as 10%

Bs0GJf_CYAEyLBa.jpg_large.jpg

Every time I see that photo I picture ET and a dead plant.

tenor.gif?itemid=16331425

Pass me a pen so I can sign the contract, senor.

• Upvote 1

On 08/05/2021 at 05:12, Barrington Womble said:

From listening to wolves supporters, he'd been pretty much a regular with wolves till his last half to full season, he'd gone off the boil and mostly started from the bench. They definitely viewed him as a fringe player when he left, which is why most of their fans were pretty happy with the deal. They thought he was good, but maybe gone stale. It would be interesting to know how many of those 46 were off the bench and for me even more interesting to know how many of those 16 goals came from sub appearances. There's no doubt he's had a bigger impact for us off the bench. 

Might be a little sour grapes there - looks like he started 11 out of their last 14 league games.

27 league games started - missed 4 due to injury - off the bench in 7.

Scored just one gola coming off the bench in the league.

Great to see Mane get one yesterday. Everything about his performance was much better, his decision making, how nimble on his feet he looked and his attitude. Great to see. His drop off has killed us coupled with Firmino offering absolutely nothing. Just having Jota on the pitch, we look far more threatening. He hasn’t converted one for a while but he’s getting his shots off and is a real handful for the opposition. Firmino needs to be replaced this summer undoubtedly.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Might be a little sour grapes there - looks like he started 11 out of their last 14 league games.

27 league games started - missed 4 due to injury - off the bench in 7.

Scored just one gola coming off the bench in the league.

Maybe. Does sound that way. I've heard it from a couple of different fellas like, but then that could just be how they've all felt better about it. Were they in a uefa cup run to the end of the season, so maybe he was missing those games?